Oshkosh - 2018

They run at least every 30 minutes and can get pretty full early and around 4-5 o’clock. Ride takes ~20 minutes or less depending on traffic. This year the transit system got all new buses according to a local I talked to. Air conditioning and nice seats, if you get one. $3 round trip.

Cheers
Are these the buses from UWO to the airport or from Fond de Lac?

"The Cluster" has happened on two weekends in the 25 years I've attended Oshkosh. Both occasions were largely weather driven. I don't want anyone to have the impression that the arrival is a cluster every year.
Well my first experience was an anomaly that's good to hear. I have never seen a more un-safe practice than what transpired Monday morning over Green Lake. I have on video a Grumman dropping/cutting in on me and he was so close, I thought I saw the rivets in the rudder. I entered the hold there at roughly 0715 as the B-1 was shutting down the arrivals. Then there were so many of us at Green and Rush Lakes they called for a mile in trail which made things even worse. While someone here posted the field would be closed at 0730 due to the B-1, there was nothing in the NOTAM about it. So a few of us launched at 0500 from BMI.

That said, I'll be back next year

I'm thinking of arriving Tuesday next year. Will parking be an issue at that point in the show?

I'm thinking of arriving Tuesday next year. Will parking be an issue at that point in the show?
They were not accepting twins Monday morning. If VAC was any indication it could be dicey. We were parked in Fon Du Lac way back in the South 40 and there were about 3 rows left.

They were not accepting twins Monday morning. If VAC was any indication it could be dicey. We were parked in Fon Du Lac way back in the South 40 and there were about 3 rows left.

So Fon Du Lac was almost out of parking Monday morning? Yikes!

Having flown into OSH the first 5 times I attended and now having driven to the show, I don't feel 'quite' as bad as I used to for the 'poor saps on the ground that are driving to OSH instead of flying'... Yes there was a 20 minute line to get into the parking lot in the morning, but at least I was sitting in a/c listening to the radio (or FISK approach on LiveATC). The trek out to the grey lot was a bit of a hike, but just hoofing it had to be faster than standing in line for the bus (at least that's what I'm telling myself). And at the end of the day, I had a private full-sized hot shower and was sleeping in a king size bed with a/c. PIREP: I was able to snag a room very last minute (booked at 8:30pm on Friday 6/27) at the DoubleTree in Neenah. It was listed at $365/night but I got it with points, so it didn't really matter to me so much.

I've also seen on a couple other forums that the Monday arrival sequencing was a major debacle. As someone else already said, that is NOT the norm for OSH and from what I hear, the powers-that-be at EAA are really digging to see what was different about this year than others and why they weren't able to get the flow going well. I expect either published changes or some sort of communication about how they'll work to prevent a similar situation next year.

Drove past Fon Du Lac for the first time on the way in and was surprised at how many planes were parked/camped there. Is that a normal number for FDL or was the number inflated because of the trouble people were having getting into the show on Monday?

Having not been to the show in several years, I had kind of forgotten about a lot of the 'magic' of OSH. Just walking around soaking it all in solo was more enjoyable than I expected. I ended up shooting the bull during the airshow with a couple different folks that were total strangers - one flew his V-tail Bo from Phoenix to OSH and another was a habitual drive-in guy from south of OSH. Both were great guys to chat with as we were able to trade flying stories together like we had known each other for years. I have no idea what their names were and I'm sure I'll never see them again, but we had a good time chatting on the park bench while watching the multitude of airplanes fly by.

All-in-all it was a great show for me and we're already planning for next year when we take my son (7 y/o by then) to his first ever OSH. Can't wait!

They had IFR conditions Friday and Saturday, so everyone they had to land everyone on Sunday. Everyone else wanted to land Sunday, so it became a pretty big mess. Pretty bad on Monday, too. I spent 3 hours of my life circling their damn lakes. Burned a quart of oil, 75 bucks worth of avgas and quite a bit of my good will.

I have on video a Grumman dropping/cutting in on me and he was so close, I thought I saw the rivets in the rudder.

Would be hilarious if that was @SixPapaCharlie ! LOL.

GA Parking closed before noon on Monday. GA Camping was open. Tuesday any year can be a bit of a crap shoot, but usually not a problem. You just can’t tell how many people are going to show up. By Wednesday the half-week folks are departing and holes open up everywhere.

In the “Sloshkosh” year when the grounds at OSH were too wet to park anything on the grass for days, Fon du Lac parked aircraft all the way around their runway on all sides, besides their ramp. They’ll make incredible accommodations in Wisconsin when things go truly haywire.

So Fon Du Lac was almost out of parking Monday morning? Yikes!

Doubtful. Just their ramp. See above.

Drove past Fon Du Lac for the first time on the way in and was surprised at how many planes were parked/camped there. Is that a normal number for FDL or was the number inflated because of the trouble people were having getting into the show on Monday?

See above. Fon du Lac is where a LOT of people go anyway to avoid OSH, many warbirds go there for hard surface parking every year, etc. If there’s such a thing as a “reliever” airport for OSH, that’s it.

Interestingly Green Bay doesn’t get much love on the reliever thing and the drive down isn’t truly that awful. If I showed up on Monday into that weather induced insanity, Green Bay would have been high on my divert list. FBO was great the one time we were there and the only major problem one would have is rental cars are booked in the entire area out months in advance, so finding wheels would be important and maybe difficult. This is where the closer airports and their bus service to OSH makes them more attractive.

Having not been to the show in several years, I had kind of forgotten about a lot of the 'magic' of OSH. Just walking around soaking it all in solo was more enjoyable than I expected. I ended up shooting the bull during the airshow with a couple different folks that were total strangers - one flew his V-tail Bo from Phoenix to OSH and another was a habitual drive-in guy from south of OSH. Both were great guys to chat with as we were able to trade flying stories together like we had known each other for years. I have no idea what their names were and I'm sure I'll never see them again, but we had a good time chatting on the park bench while watching the multitude of airplanes fly by.

That’s really the most fun part of the place. Everyone is into airplanes and you meet amazing people just chatting about the airshow, the weather, whatever the craziness or normal stuff is that year... if you’re camped on the field either in N40 or Scholler, the same thing happens all night long. Start talking to the neighbor and find out he published a book on flying fighters and has a seminar on it the next day and buy a copy of his book from him right out of the back of his 182, then help him push it out of the divots in the grass for departure two days later (really happened to us, nice guy too), meet people outside of the FAA building who look nervous and they tell you they’re the speaker in ten minutes and they’ve never talked in front of a crowd before, but everyone wants to hear about them landing on a city street with an engine failure at night (also really happened, the person now is a trainer for SkyWest), standing next to an amazing looking jet and striking up a conversation with someone and realizing they’re the demo pilot for the thing and will be flying it in this afternoon’s airshow.....

Just seemingly “random” stuff like that... all aircraft related. It’s amazing.
[/QUOTE]

They had IFR conditions Friday and Saturday, so everyone they had to land everyone on Sunday. Everyone else wanted to land Sunday, so it became a pretty big mess. Pretty bad on Monday, too. I spent 3 hours of my life circling their damn lakes. Burned a quart of oil, 75 bucks worth of avgas and quite a bit of my good will.

And then you landed and set up camp and all was good with the world. :) Hope your special chili was good on Jambalaya night! Damn I hated missing this year and last...

I flew from Texas into Madison and parked my airplane at Wisconsin Aviation. Great place and no ramp fee as long as you buy gas, which was not terribly expensive. I then picked up my son in Madison (he lives there) and drove to Fon du Lac (1-1/4 hours) and spent the night there. Just drove back and forth to the show from Fon du Lac. We always started out from the hotel by 8am and never had to wait more than 10 minutes to park (after a 15 minute drive). We attended the show Tuesday - Friday and had enough by Friday night.

I plan on doing the exact same scenario next year. Worked out great in my opinion.

Would be hilarious if that was @SixPapaCharlie ! LOL.

GA Parking closed before noon on Monday. GA Camping was open. Tuesday any year can be a bit of a crap shoot, but usually not a problem. You just can’t tell how many people are going to show up. By Wednesday the half-week folks are departing and holes open up everywhere.

In the “Sloshkosh” year when the grounds at OSH were too wet to park anything on the grass for days, Fon du Lac parked aircraft all the way around their runway on all sides, besides their ramp. They’ll make incredible accommodations in Wisconsin when things go truly haywire.

Doubtful. Just their ramp. See above.

See above. Fon du Lac is where a LOT of people go anyway to avoid OSH, many warbirds go there for hard surface parking every year, etc. If there’s such a thing as a “reliever” airport for OSH, that’s it.

Interestingly Green Bay doesn’t get much love on the reliever thing and the drive down isn’t truly that awful. If I showed up on Monday into that weather induced insanity, Green Bay would have been high on my divert list. FBO was great the one time we were there and the only major problem one would have is rental cars are booked in the entire area out months in advance, so finding wheels would be important and maybe difficult. This is where the closer airports and their bus service to OSH makes them more attractive.

That’s really the most fun part of the place. Everyone is into airplanes and you meet amazing people just chatting about the airshow, the weather, whatever the craziness or normal stuff is that year... if you’re camped on the field either in N40 or Scholler, the same thing happens all night long. Start talking to the neighbor and find out he published a book on flying fighters and has a seminar on it the next day and buy a copy of his book from him right out of the back of his 182, then help him push it out of the divots in the grass for departure two days later (really happened to us, nice guy too), meet people outside of the FAA building who look nervous and they tell you they’re the speaker in ten minutes and they’ve never talked in front of a crowd before, but everyone wants to hear about them landing on a city street with an engine failure at night (also really happened, the person now is a trainer for SkyWest), standing next to an amazing looking jet and striking up a conversation with someone and realizing they’re the demo pilot for the thing and will be flying it in this afternoon’s airshow.....

Just seemingly “random” stuff like that... all aircraft related. It’s amazing.

And then you landed and set up camp and all was good with the world. :) Hope your special chili was good on Jambalaya night! Damn I hated missing this year and last...[/QUOTE]

When I say Fond du Lac I mean at OSH. They have a sign way out back past the corn we taxied past that says "Welcome to Fond du Lac, population varies"

I will never come here on Sunday again. I was in the hold for 3 hours. I cannot believe there was not a mid-air or a bunch of them I have never been so scared in my life in a plane.

It had nothing to do with being Sunday, and everything to do with the crappy weather on Friday and Saturday, which caused the entire universe to try to get in on the same day.

FWIW, out of my three dozen or so Fisk arrivals, there's been at least one on Sunday each year - So probably a dozen - and I have *never* had to hold at all.

I am only hearing the controllers side of things. Is that normal?

Yep. Read the NOTAM, even if you're never planning on going. It's an interesting procedure, and one of the most important parts of it is "SHUT UP!" (Well, it doesn't say that, but you don't talk on the radio, you merely rock your wings to acknowledge.)

The FISK controllers, usually so amazing, were totally screwed up today.

First, they didn't follow the NOTAM, and insisted on one mile in trail, rather than the usual 1/2 mile. This was, of course, impossible with the number of aircraft in the air.

I gave a presentation on how to do the Fisk arrival a week before the show, and in it I included some video of Fisk Approach from last year. This year, I recognized the guy who had been talking on the radio in the video and so I asked him what happened and why they changed the separation. He said it was at the behest of tower, who was getting slammed with arrivals off of other parts of the procedures (turbine/warbird, IFR, and the unpublished demo arrival for example) plus all of the mass arrivals happening on the same day.

They really need to have a better solution than "everybody converge on one point" when the weather constricts the time available for arrivals. It doesn't help that the parallel runway is east of the bigger runway while the arrivals that can more easily use it are coming from the opposite direction.

They go to a mile in trail when one of the runways isn’t accepting arrivals.

Not saying they were as good as previous years but part of it was the tower accepting and then not accepting arrivals on different runways for whatever reasons.

And yeah, I’ve seen them pull it off with only a half mile in trail to a single runway before so I know... it can be done... I know...

That does depend on everyone being really on their game, maintaining 90 knots until they absolutely have to slow down to land, pulling off into the grass as quickly as possible, not making a full pattern when ATC asks for a short approach, etc.

I thought The Green Dot podcast said he was going to make some loud low passes. That was only one low-ish, not all that loud pass.

Good - They needed to open back up for arrivals!

Last year on Sunday morning one of the controllers told a pilot to leave the area, go land somewhere else, get a copy of the NOTAM, read it and try again.

My hero! If you listen to the awful "Cessna 53A" audio, the controller said at one point (when the pilot said he didn't have a copy of the NOTAM) "Well then, I suggest you land somewhere and go get it" and when the pilot whined more and talked them into letting him in, it just went downhill...

So...for future reference, from a traffic perspective, what is the best day to arrive at Air Venture?

Any day that doesn't immediately follow three days of IFR weather.

It also depends on the time of day. Sunday afternoon is often fairly busy, but if you get to Ripon at 7:30 PM, they sometimes tell you to just fly it on in at full speed if there isn't anyone in front of you. They'll start asking if anyone is inbound on the radio and such.

Bryan showed me a similar picture. My question to him was, do all those people still have their transponders on? NOTAM says to switch them to standby. Do traffic targets on ads-b still show N-numbers if the transponder is on standby, or are there that many people that don't read and/or abide by the NOTAM?

For the last couple of years, the NOTAM has said to keep transponders on if you have ADS-B. Might as well get the new tech working, since it's the most useful time to have it!

So I just found out I have to be in St Paul next monday morning. Would it be worth being at the show Friday and Saturday or is it basically already over then?

I always tell people that if they only have one day to do it, Saturday is the best. They tend to have lots of military hardware flying during the day, and there's the big night airshow at night.

Sunday is kind of boring, though, except if you want to watch departures. It's mostly locals (non-pilots) in the crowd that day, most of the exhibitors are packing up, the airshow is shortened to allow for all of the departures, and it kinda turns into a ghost town by afternoon.

so for realz, how do I go about reserving either camping OR a local hotel? are there local hotels so close u can walk over? 2 years in a row I should'a gone but didn't.

Only two hotels within walking distance (Hilton and Super 8) and they're probably both booked for next year already. But camping is really the ultimate Oshkosh experience, and I highly recommend it. No reservations required.

So the head wind that kicked my tail going up was kinder going home. Wheels up this morning at 0752, landed 1127. The little Cherokee 140 did well. Best part is OSH wanted turns to 150 coming off 36L before tower. Got to kick her over hard right climbing turn.

That's not "tower wants", that's right in the NOTAM. Otherwise you'd be flying right up into the 9/27 arrivals and departures.

EAA forgot to send it out on OSHALERT too if they have weather coming. That or the service isn’t working right today.

Probably because a billion people who aren't at the show are on it. :D

"For your safety...."

BS. It's the EAA. They just don't want your money to get wet.

They automatically cancel for lightning within 15 miles. Might have something to do with all of the pyro and fireworks, or the tens of thousands of people standing outside under metal objects. But they made the right call.

Flying your own plane into OSH and camping in the North 40 is the ONLY way to do it.

Plan it properly the first time and you will never do it any other way after that...until you're so old your wheelchair won't fit in the Mooney. Then maybe a hotel.

Having done both, I now camp sans airplane in Scholler. I used to look down upon the ground pounders who didn't have an airplane to camp with, but Scholler has better facilities, you can have campfires, and I don't have to worry about gross weight when packing.

This year, I lucked out and was able to borrow a friend's travel trailer. THAT is the "only" way to do it. ;)

That said, every pilot should camp with their airplane at least once. I just hope your once isn't like my last time camping with the airplane, where I ended up calling my wife at 3 AM to just come and take me home because my semi-destroyed tent was lying on top of me and I was lying in three inches of rainwater.

In any case, camping somewhere on the field is the way to go. You get to live and breathe aviation 24x7. It is absolutely the best experience for aviation lovers to have.

I think the biggest difference for me staying at the dorm vs camping with the airplane is I felt more like a tourist and not really a participant at Oshkosh.

This is why I said camping on the field is the way to go. It really is different.

Another solution to that is an RV in Scholler. Less problems with night and overnight activities, but you don’t get to fly in.

Technically there are companies that will pre-deliver an RV to Scholler, and you could fly in and park in GA Parking, and walk/tram to your home away from home in Scholler, also.

Yes. RV on site is the most comfortable way to go, and if you can do that and still fly in, it's even better!

This year was my first RV, but because of the traffic debacles, we left the plane at home. First time I haven't flown in to Oshkosh in a LONG time.

I have never seen a more un-safe practice than what transpired Monday morning over Green Lake...snip...Then there were so many of us at Green and Rush Lakes they called for a mile in trail which made things even worse.
You should have been there Sunday then, 1/2 mile then 3/4 mile then 1 mile then 2 MILE spacing! Nucking futs is what it was! Figured Monday morning would be just as bad so I didn’t even try it.

EAA forgot to send it out on OSHALERT too if they have weather coming. That or the service isn’t working right today.

l
Probably because a billion people who aren't at the show are on it. :D

Ha. Nah, all the others worked. They just forgot it. :)

But they sent one later and it turned out to mostly be a nothing burger storm anyway, so... haha. Oh well

If they did have a capacity problem, I recommend Twilio if they aren’t already. They can handle it.

We push Twilio much harder than OSH does, for one of our products. Great folks and stuff. :)

They could just drop everyone annually and have everyone sign up again, too. Kinda silly for them to pay to send me the texts, but the price should be less than a penny anyway. Way less. :)

https://www.twilio.com/sms/pricing/us

It had nothing to do with being Sunday, and everything to do with the crappy weather on Friday and Saturday, which caused the entire universe to try to get in on the same day...

+1

My hero! If you listen to the awful "Cessna 53A" audio, the controller said at one point (when the pilot said he didn't have a copy of the NOTAM) "Well then, I suggest you land somewhere and go get it" and when the pilot whined more and talked them into letting him in, it just went downhill...

Doesn't being without the knowledge of a NOTAM make one technically illegal?
And I gotta admit the controller rewarding pilot incompetence frosts me big time.

Any day that doesn't immediately follow three days of IFR weather.

:thumbsup:

For the last couple of years, the NOTAM has said to keep transponders on if you have ADS-B. Might as well get the new tech working, since it's the most useful time to have it!

I think this is a BAAAAD idea. Anyone with an ADS-B receiver in the vicinity of OSH should just turn it off - the picture it paints is even more frightening than looking out the window. :hairraise:

Having done both, I now camp sans airplane in Scholler. I used to look down upon the ground pounders who didn't have an airplane to camp with, but Scholler has better facilities, you can have campfires, and I don't have to worry about gross weight when packing.

This year, I lucked out and was able to borrow a friend's travel trailer. THAT is the "only" way to do it. ;)

That said, every pilot should camp with their airplane at least once. I just hope your once isn't like my last time camping with the airplane, where I ended up calling my wife at 3 AM to just come and take me home because my semi-destroyed tent was lying on top of me and I was lying in three inches of rainwater.

In any case, camping somewhere on the field is the way to go. You get to live and breathe aviation 24x7. It is absolutely the best experience for aviation lovers to have...

...Yes. RV on site is the most comfortable way to go, and if you can do that and still fly in, it's even better!

This year was my first RV, but because of the traffic debacles, we left the plane at home. First time I haven't flown in to Oshkosh in a LONG time.

Scholler works great if you're a cheesehead. That also helps when needing a rescue from the North 40 apres le deluge. :biggrin:

But for those of us who come from many hundreds of nm away, not so convenient. I have to fly 1200 nm one way to attend. Not sure what the road distance is but I drove the first 5 Oshkosh's I attended, and did the Scholler thing. Then I bought my first airplane. And as long as I own an airplane (and still have a valid medical) there is no way I am ever coming to Oshkosh without flying myself there in my own airplane. :thumbsup:

You should have been there Sunday then, 1/2 mile then 3/4 mile then 1 mile then 2 MILE spacing! Nucking futs is what it was! Figured Monday morning would be just as bad so I didn’t even try it.
I flew in Monday morning around 11:30, after diverting to Wautoma on Sunday. FISK had the A-team working, and it was easy peasy, right up the tracks. "Welcome to Oshkosh."

They were actually following the OSH NOTAM, and as usual it worked extremely well.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think this is a BAAAAD idea. Anyone with an ADS-B receiver in the vicinity of OSH should just turn it off - the picture it paints is even more frightening than looking out the window. :hairraise:

I managed to perform one of my dumbest pilot tricks ever at OSH this year, thanks to ADS-B.

My EFIS is set to emit a warning tone whenever there is another plane within 5 miles. This tone is loud, and there is no volume control.

I forgot to disable it before entering the approach. :(

For 3.5 hours, in the melee around Green Lake, we had to listen to a continuous barrage of loud warning tones. Turning that feature off is 3 layers of menus deep in my EFIS set up, and there was no way to spend the time heads down to do it.

I disabled it before flying in on Monday. lol

Doesn't being without the knowledge of a NOTAM make one technically illegal?
And I gotta admit the controller rewarding pilot incompetence frosts me big time.

Technically, yes. It also broadcasts that said pilot is abundantly stupid.

However, this is the kinder, gentler FAA that isn't focused on enforcement... Even when someone fully deserves a *****-slapping at minimum.

:rofl: Yeah, it's a bit scary - But also helpful.

Scholler works great if you're a cheesehead. That also helps when needing a rescue from the North 40 apres le deluge. :biggrin:

But for those of us who come from many hundreds of nm away, not so convenient. I have to fly 1200 nm one way to attend. Not sure what the road distance is but I drove the first 5 Oshkosh's I attended, and did the Scholler thing. Then I bought my first airplane. And as long as I own an airplane (and still have a valid medical) there is no way I am ever coming to Oshkosh without flying myself there in my own airplane. :thumbsup:

Yeah, not so convenient, but definitely more comfortable! They have improved the facilities in the North 40 a great deal in the last decade, though. New shower building, places to eat, etc.

I just like to be able to plug in my blender to make margaritas, and enjoy them around a fire. :) If you can take advantage of one of the RV delivery services or bring one in, that's the way to go. Otherwise, pull up a wing in the North 40. Either way, you're on the field, which is how Oshkosh is meant to be enjoyed!

2381 miles, and 20.4 hours (3.5 spent in the Green Lake hold at 90 knots) of flight time later, we are home. What a great adventure!

We are counting the days till we can do it again for OSH '19. It was great seeing everyone again (and my apologies to the many we missed)! :)
f529fe87d854bd8e2b17b219dcb52a94.jpg

Of course, the thing I keep pointing out deserves to be pointed out. This was the worst approach I've seen in nearly twenty years of attending Oshkosh. Indeed, it was far far worse than the next up on the list. Usually you look out the window, keep your spacing and you get in. This was pandemonium.

And no one traded paint. No bent metal. The system works. Might give one a bit of a pucker factor now and again, but it works. The folks who crash at Oshkosh don't hit other airplanes, they forget to fly their own.

Last edited:
My first Oshkosh trip my friend and I flew Commercial into Green Bay and had to hire a limo to take us to Scholler. I couldn't find a rental car agency that was willing to rent to two 20 year olds even though I was flying a metal mailing tube through the air as my day gig...

Last edited:
Just a short PIREP regarding FLD. Flew the 414 from Atlanta area Thursday morning intending on the FISKE arrival. Stopped for fuel just west of Chicago. When we departed the website said parking completely full so filed for and went straight to KFLD. got a basically straight in RNAV 36 approach and taxied to the grass. Bus picked us up and took us to terminal. Parking was $15. The 4 of us got an Uber straight to OSH for about $40. Leaving Saturday we had no limitations because of the airshow. No reservation required for IFR departure.
This was just too easy. My future AirVenture arrival will be FLD.

This was my first Oshkosh.

Drove 2000 kms each way to attend and would do it again in a heartbeat!

Scholler was more than decent, met some really nice people, the showers were warm, definitely glad I brought my bike! Loved going to sleep listening to the rain and loved waking up hearing the ultralights and the warbirds fly over. Found the One Week Wonder very interesting and the B1 departure very ... loud! The Airbus Outdoor Theatre was fun.

I will be back! :)

We had one aircraft arrive and land on 36 DURING THE AIRSHOW without talking to anybody and oblivious of the NOTAM arrival procedure.

On Tuesday, a friend walked in and handed me a wedding invitation. He got married in the Fergus Chapel (very nice, first time I've ever been in there) on Thursday afternoon and the reception was on one side of the Homebuilder's Dinner in then Nature Center.

This is the second Oshkosh wedding I've attended. The other was Jim's wife before last (I think, was there another one in there somewhere) up on Compass Hill with the reception back up in the Dorms.

Last edited:
Fergus chapel is a pretty little chapel. The stain glass windows are of famous aircraft (Wright flyer, Spirit of St. Louis, etc.). The one over the entrance door is of swallows flying over a wooded valley.

Every morning of AirVenture is a short service (Fellowship of the Wing) to pray for the events of the day, led by AirVenture chaplain, Cam Martin. Our closing hymn? "I'll Fly Away".

I know Cam. I was kind of hoping he was going to do the service, but the couple brought in a friend who was a minister (and a student pilot). I did wear my orange vest and bow tie.

We ended up launching 2 hours late on Sunday morning because the fuelers didn’t get us fueled the day prior (as scheduled) and Basler was down to the last truck load of Jet A. Cam came out and talked with us for about 20 minutes while we waited.

Here's Oshkosh from my perspective. Most of you know I'm a volunteer there, so I may be biased!

My friend and I flew in his Cessna 170. We flew into Watertown, WI on Friday and it took us 12 hours to make the 9 hour flight. There were some storms as we got close to Indiana. We had a hotel in Watertown since it's right next to the airport. It gives us a chance to rest up after the trip before heading into the chaos. Saturday we woke up to low ceilings and rain in the area, but eventually we made it off and did a little scud running to get in to KOSH. All-in-all, not a bad trip.

Some trams were running on Saturday, so I checked in with the Photo Group, got checked in for camping, etc. I then spent a little time wandering around and getting settled in. As soon as I had my tent setup, it started to rain and of course my rain coat was nice and dry at home. I now have a very nice EAA/VAA raincoat!

The weather was nice other than a morning where ceilings were to low for arrivals, and it stormed Wednesday night, but it was just a typical OSH.

I love going to Oshkosh. They treat me right and I like working for them. Because I have on an EAA vest, people vent to me. The biggest complaints were about the trams. Some were mad that the trams didn't stop and pick them up when they stuck their thumbs out! The trams don't stop everywhere, only at the tram stations. You can't get mad when they don't treat you like you're special. The other complaints were about the South 40. It's a long way from where the last bus stops to the back of the camp. This year it was muddy too. There is no food back there other than a small convenience store, so people felt like they were forgotten. This one I agree with. They need to extend the tram further into that area, but I think the trams are only used on pavement, so it would take some work. I wouldn't want to camp back there.

Cool planes this year. The temps were awesome and I really miss them now that I'm back in Texas in 100+ degree days. The showers were great in the Vintage Camping Area, the same as last year. The trams seemed a little more full this year, but attendance was up, so that makes sense. In a few areas, I notice the port-a-potties had lines of people waiting to get in, but for the most part they seemed to have enough. The food stands had good food and the lines were never very long.

A few of you found me on the flight line and said hello, which was great. I met a few of you at Jay's party, and that will be one of the highlights of the trip. I wish I could have stayed longer and met more of you, but with storms closing in, I had to run. I made it back to camp, put my cameras away and it started to rain! Looking forward to next year and meeting even more of you.

The trams do need some work especially on the Blue route that runs down towards Ultralights. It also doesn't help that at points you have the two trams for the same route nose to tail instead of at opposite ends of the route. The showers and bathrooms were plentiful and very nice for "roughing it". The only other nice to have is better WIFI. I'm not sure if it's my provider or just the fact that there are so many people feeding off the towers but neither the wifi nor cell service was adequate. Took for ever to try to get a good foreflight briefing for the trip home.

The biggest complaints were about the trams. Some were mad that the trams didn't stop and pick them up when they stuck their thumbs out! The trams don't stop everywhere, only at the tram stations. You can't get mad when they don't treat you like you're special.

They used to make more stops "back in the day" including some for people who stuck out their thumb. They don't any more. That's probably where those complaints are coming from. I think they stopped doing it because of the complaints they were getting that you could walk somewhere faster than the tram got you there because they stopped too much. Can't please everyone!

The other complaints were about the South 40. It's a long way from where the last bus stops to the back of the camp. This year it was muddy too. There is no food back there other than a small convenience store, so people felt like they were forgotten. This one I agree with. They need to extend the tram further into that area, but I think the trams are only used on pavement, so it would take some work. I wouldn't want to camp back there.

I don't think the South 40 even existed until fairly recently with the increased traffic we've had. It definitely seems like an afterthought, and now that there's a fair bit of camping down there it is in dire need of facilities. I wonder if moving all camping to the North 40 and all GAP to the South 40 would help.

We had one aircraft arrive and land on 36 DURING THE AIRSHOW without talking to anybody and oblivious of the NOTAM arrival procedure.
When was that? I can't believe I missed it.

Holy crap, isn't there a TFR during the show? I'm starting to think I could launch a missile against N. Korea from this place and everyone would just say, "Boys will be boys."

Please tell me they were met by security and quick-stepped into a squad car.

That's not just stupid or ignorant. That's reckless, and could have killed people.

There is a TFR for the airshow, I saw it in my preflight. Moreover, its controlled airspace, you can't just blithely fly in and land. The guy should have had a 709 ride at minimum.

Back