Osh Noob Questions

So here is another question. Is it worth carrying around my transceiver and listening in to the landings and TOs and air show or is there just too much else gonig on and to leave the dang thing in the plane?

1. I echo Kent's advice above- just bite the bullet and fly into the show; it is fabulous fun!

2. Have the radio when you are sitting and wattching arrivals; other thn that, no, you won't want to tote any extra weight.

I'm going to third the suggestion to fly into the show. It's part of the experience, and the amazing show of every kind of aircraft in the world taking off all at once when you depart shouldn't be missed.

I listent to my transceiver during the airshow, but I wouldn't schlep it around with me, too much weight.

I look forward to meeting Alon. There will be a drink on me to be certain, if not multiple.

So here is another question. Is it worth carrying around my transceiver and listening in to the landings and TOs and air show or is there just too much else gonig on and to leave the dang thing in the plane?

Carry it, but use it sparingly -- or with an earphone.

I can't tell you how annoying it is to have, like, 24 guys sitting in the grass around you, watching the afternoon airshow, all with seemingly a different frequency tuned in and turned up loud enough to hear over the Harrier... :rolleyes:

THE best use for your handheld? After the airshow drag a chair and a cold beer up to the fence line in the N40, right alongside Rwy 27. Tune in the controller for that runway, either ground departures or tower arrivals -- and listen to the antics that occasionally ensue.

Most of the time I'm pretty down on gummint employees -- but not at OSH. Those guys in the pink shirts do a yeoman's job, and they do it very, very well.

Anyway, that's where you'll find many of us each afternoon -- with our toes sticking through the snow fence marking the edge of the clear zone for Rwy 27.

Back