OSH/Airventure 2009 Attendance List & Dates

Is anyone going through Chicago? My cousin from CA is in town for the 99's International Conference, and wants very badly to attend the Oshkosh events. She has just a little bit of money, though, and the usual travel options (amtrak, metra, bus, rental car) would eat up a significant portion. Can anyone give her a ride there and back, or possibly just there, for a negotiable amount?
Leslie's working the 99's International Conference Wednesday through Friday. We could provide transportation to OSH on Saturday morning. We won't be returning until the closing day, though. We can provide a tent if need be, but no sleeping bag, etc.

Great Link! Thank you.

Most likely will be arriving in the Oshkosh area Monday after the air show. If the Fisk arrival is too jammed, I may want to camp at a airport and fly into Oshkosh in the morning. Can anyone recommend a good airport to camp at close to Oshkosh (I'll be coming from the east and crossing Lake Michigan)? Is Fond du Lac my best option?

I would reconsider if I were you. I did this once and swore to never do it again. Planes like mosquitos all trying to get in at once. One of the outlying airports will serve you better. Procedures for Fon du Lac are in the NOTAM, but there are a number of outher airports, you can check Airnav or the AOPA directory to figure out which to use. I've landed at a couple that allowed camping, though I cannot at the moment recall which.

Great Link! Thank you.

Most likely will be arriving in the Oshkosh area Monday after the air show. If the Fisk arrival is too jammed, I may want to camp at a airport and fly into Oshkosh in the morning. Can anyone recommend a good airport to camp at close to Oshkosh (I'll be coming from the east and crossing Lake Michigan)? Is Fond du Lac my best option?
Are you planning to come in the Hawk or the Rotorway?
You can always camp at Brennand. I think Kate (skyflyer8) had a thread about it. You'll find that some people had a lot of traffic to contend with, while others had little. It also seems that everyone's first time is more overwhelming than subsequent arrivals. Helps to have another pilot, or at least another set of eyes, in the aircraft with you.

Great Link! Thank you.

Yes, FLD is probably best - Shortest anyway. Remember that they're part of the NOTAM too, and they'll have a tower. FLD is the closest public paved airport to Ripon, the start of the VFR arrival (for airplanes - Or are you bringing the whirlybird?) You can also decide to just stay at FLD if you so choose, there's a shuttle running to OSH and back through the whole show.

Another place that allows camping on the field and is a pretty nice little airport is Adams County (63C), but that's a little farther away.

Are you planning to come in the Hawk or the Rotorway?
You can always camp at Brennand. I think Kate (skyflyer8) had a thread about it. You'll find that some people had a lot of traffic to contend with, while others had little. It also seems that everyone's first time is more overwhelming than subsequent arrivals. Helps to have another pilot, or at least another set of eyes, in the aircraft with you.

I'm going in the ChickenHawk. Just the thought of crossing Lake Michigan or even doing the lakeshore trasition in the Rotorway is way too scary.

Thank you for the sugestions. I was planning on doing the mass arrival with Cessna2Oshkosh but a friend of mine wanted to fly out and I change my schedule to suit him. He bailed on me yesterday, and is driving because he didn't want to share the fuel cost for my gas guzzling 172:rolleyes:. So be it, looks like I'm on my own. Looking forward to a great week!

I'm going in the ChickenHawk. Just the thought of crossing Lake Michigan or even doing the lakeshore trasition in the Rotorway is way too scary.

Thank you for the sugestions. I was planning on doing the mass arrival with Cessna2Oshkosh but a friend of mine wanted to fly out and I change my schedule to suit him. He bailed on me yesterday, and is driving because he didn't want to share the fuel cost for my gas guzzling 172:rolleyes:. So be it, looks like I'm on my own. Looking forward to a great week!

Wow.. That's screwy.. In essence, he would be 'paying' for roughly 26 mpg in the airplane. Sure, his car might get that on the road, but he can't go 'as the crow flies'. It's nearly 700 miles for us to DRIVE from my parents house to visit family in Alabama. It's 500 SM straight-line from their local airport to the local airport there. You do the math.

Sheesh.. Some people don't know how good they have it "Hey, you want to fly with me to OSH and get to taxi right past show-center and have some of the best seats in the house?" "Naahh.. I'd rather fight traffic for hours on end to be able to park out of sight of the airplanes and then fight the local yocals getting in the gate. But thanks!" ;)

I would reconsider if I were you. I did this once and swore to never do it again. Planes like mosquitos all trying to get in at once. One of the outlying airports will serve you better. Procedures for Fon du Lac are in the NOTAM, but there are a number of outher airports, you can check Airnav or the AOPA directory to figure out which to use. I've landed at a couple that allowed camping, though I cannot at the moment recall which.

Whats the air traffic like in the few hours before the show on Monday? We'll be arriving from Denver around 12:30 on Monday.

I'll be there all week, most likely under the wing of N271G in the North 40, still wearing a big grin from flying the Super Cub on floats before I go. :D

Well **** ****ety **** **** ****.

They ran into a snag on the engine reinstall today, so it won't be done tomorrow as promised. :no: So, I'm not going to Cadillac, I'm not flying floatplanes, and I'm not gonna be in the north 40. :( :cryin:

I will still be there all week, but I'll spend at least the first part of the week in Scholler... Probably all of it. I don't think I'll miss the plane so much that I go flying it around in circles to rack up my hour per overnight minimum... Not to mention break in the engine.

Hey I was thinking of stopping by this Saturday to visit with all of the POAers at osh. Does anyone have extra camping space???

Hey I was thinking of stopping by this Saturday to visit with all of the POAers at osh. Does anyone have extra camping space???
I think we should. We're going to be saving space for Tim and Ted, who won't be arriving until later.

I'm in Mackinaw City. Two great days of driving so far, with lunch with EdFred today.

Grant, I'll call you guys in the morning (after 9 AM OSH time) to get the Scholler row, or you can post it here.

Attachments

• small_heading_out.jpg
    small_heading_out.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 16
With luck we'll fly out tomorrow. We were supposed to leave today but the wx sux.

I don't think I'll miss the plane so much that I go flying it around in circles to rack up my hour per overnight minimum... Not to mention break in the engine.

Speaking of:

I, too, miss my plane which has been ready for pickup from its annual. However, the incessant rain and/or other WX problems have been disgusting.

As for the "engine" reference, my hangar has been lonely except for the the missing plane's mate which looks a bit high on its front end. And that's for lack of any engine at all. As soon as the last few parts arrive from Lawton, Iowa(Healey Werks) my mechanic shall finish the new engine and I'll flat-bed the car back to the mechanic so he can install the new engine.

Oh, this thread? Some day I'll attend OSH/Adventure 20XX, but it won't be this year. So today I applied wax and Armor-All to this toy(after this picture was taken). Can you imagine my Dad paid $2195.00 for it in 1968?

HR

EDIT: I did offer my plane for one of the local guys to fly to OSH but he's not going this year. He has flown more -- I think -- Young Eagles than anyone else in Maine.

Attachments

• Austin Healey_3.jpg
    Austin Healey_3.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I'm in Mackinaw City. Two great days of driving so far, with lunch with EdFred today.

Grant, I'll call you guys in the morning (after 9 AM OSH time) to get the Scholler row, or you can post it here.
We're at Lindbergh and 9th. Missa and Pete are here now. We just finished playing Euchre.

We're at Lindbergh and 9th. Missa and Pete are here now. We just finished playing Euchre.

I won't be far away - Sounds like the compound is at Lindbergh and 13th. I'm going to be at Lightspeed at 5 on Tuesday, I'll wander over to the PoA zone for the Prellwitz Air dinner around 6 or 6:30. :yes:

I won't be far away - Sounds like the compound is at Lindbergh and 13th. I'm going to be at Lightspeed at 5 on Tuesday, I'll wander over to the PoA zone for the Prellwitz Air dinner around 6 or 6:30. :yes:
We have some space here for any PoAers who want to join us camping. Leslie is establishing quite a reputation for her culinary skills. Some of the items she's prepared for the enclave include:

• quesadillas with goat cheese and corn salsa
  • orange herbed salmon with fennel and red peppers with a fresh vegetable couscous
  • duck breast wraps with hoisin sauce
  • sun-dried tomato and artichoke heart sourdough grilled cheese sandwiches
We'll probably push the dinner on Tuesday back closer to 7PM to accommodate those going to the Lightspeed event.

The internet connection at our site is very weak, so we can't post any pictures, but suffice it to say that we came with everything, including the kitchen sink. There was no extra space in either our or Missa's cars.

While working at the Fly4Life tent this evening, we got hit by what we think was probably a microburst, but may have just been a gust front. It was enough to raise the roof of the big tent by about a half foot.

While working at the Fly4Life tent this evening, we got hit by what we think was probably a microburst, but may have just been a gust front. It was enough to raise the roof of the big tent by about a half foot.
It wouldn't be as much fun at OSH without those storms. :D

We have some space here for any PoAers who want to join us camping. Leslie is establishing quite a reputation for her culinary skills.
I will probably show up Wednesday sometime and will be looking for a spot to throw up a tent.

I'll be driving up Thursday.

I just gotta decide which dilapidated old vehicle to take.

Prolly drive back Saturday.

Don't use the words "throw up" in a thread talking about Leslie's cooking! I'm looking forward to dinner tomorrow!

I'm planning on flying the Aztec out tomorrow, but we have to finish reassembling it first. I'll let y'all know what time I'm wheels up. :)

I won't be there. I wish I was to meet old friends and meet some new ones. I got to fly back there is 2003. It was a great time. I hope you all have a great time. Bob

I'm on my way to the airport in a few minutes to work on finishing up the Aztec, and then be on my way. Will hopefully get in either during the airshow (at Fond du Lac) or after it. I'll be on FlightAware for anyone who wants to track. :)

So why didn't the 10th and Lindburg compound get more people, it looks like everyone was camping around us but not with us (and there was room) (their loss, food was way too good).

Next year we will have to clearly identify the compound.

Sorry, the North 40 called. We watched all sorts of airplanes take off, and watched the air show from our own little camp site. I can attest to Leslie's culinary skills. We would have come by more often, but it was a long walk.

Back