Osh 2022 NOTAM is out

I wonder if we'll all get multiples this year. It seems last year a lot of people were getting two or three in the mail

At least they fixed the alternative entries to the FISK arrival to have the same coordinate in lat/long, the graphic, and the text. Last year they were substantial discrepancies.

That’s great. I don’t want to be the guy calling tower, ‘8 miles South for landing’.

Hmm, can't find a link to have it mailed.

So evidently nobody lives north of OSH? IF I want to go to 6Y9 afterwards, which I probably would if I went, I gotta go back to Milwaukee (exaggeration) first if the wind is out of the north?

Last edited:
Hurry up and start. That way I can get the maximum discount on my Power Flow exhaust

So evidently nobody lives north of OSH? IF I want to go to 6Y9 afterwards, which I probably would if I went, I gotta go back to Milwaukee (exaggeration) first if the wind is out of the north?

It ain't that bad. Yeah if you take off 36L, you do a right turn to 150* for 5 miles before you can make a left turn to the North in order to deconflict you from 9/27 crossing traffic (and there will be 9/27 traffic even with a North wind). I've departed 36 and have gone North to cross Lake Michigan North of Manitowoc-- just not a big deal IMO. The OSH VFR departure routes don't seem to have changed much for a long time so this isn't new.

Last edited:
This is on the last page of this year's NOTICE: For a free, printed copy of this Notice booklet, call EAA at 1-800-564-6322.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up as I might have missed that detail! The old website form to get a printed copy was sort of an unauthenticated form that just about anybody could submit though it did require your EAA member #. I just called and they asked for my EAA member # and they said they'd put in the order. I got an email receipt with an order number so they must have switched up the backend process for it this year. They're mailing out orders weekly.

When I heard that ("aircraft cutting in line"!!!), which was the Friday before.....it was a Fisk controller actually calling out the line cutters by N number and telling them to go back. Good for them. There have been line cutters since there was a Fisk arrival. With ADS-B, they can see the traffic with the N number.

When I heard that ("aircraft cutting in line"!!!), which was the Friday before.....it was a Fisk controller actually calling out the line cutters by N number and telling them to go back. Good for them. There have been line cutters since there was a Fisk arrival. With ADS-B, they can see the traffic with the N number.

Heard that several times too, but it was a lot calmer and with a purpose. This was just some idiot stepping all over ATC because he was upset. Next year I have my line ready: "lighten up, Francis!"

A 182 stealth merged in front of me between Green Lake and RIPON. It irked me a bit when I figured out what he was doing, but I was so thrilled by the whole experience of my first arrival that I soon forgot about it. He got yelled at by ATC at FISK because he descended to about 400 AGL, so I guess there is justice in the world.

It seemed like ATC evolved over the first few days. Once they started yelling at people for cutting, planes stopped responding. So then they switched to "N12345, you on frequency?" "Yes" "Good, go back to Endeavor and begin again without cutting in line!" :D

When they say "fly 90 knots" I wonder if they mean True / Calibrated airspeed or Ground Speed. Or its more like a "90-ish" speed people just do whatever.

They say if you are rolling-up on the plane ahead of you, we should turn-out and rejoin back at the entry point. But I can't tell which direction they want us to turn-out, e.g. make a left-hand 180 turn and fly back on the north-side to rejoin, or make a right-hand 180 and fly opposite on the south-side to rejoin.

ALso confused by the part "Do not proceed beyond Fisk or change to Tower frequency without ATC authorization" what should the planes do that get to Fisk but don't get a call-out? Do we go into one of the VFR holding patterns, but if ATC doesn't give us a call-out then how do we know which one ?

Don’t overthink it. It’s 90kts indicated. Some can’t hold airspeed (or altitude for that matter) no matter what the unit of measurement is. Don’t sweat it. Just keep your head on a swivel and try and stay in trail behind the guy in front. If you need to bail, turn out is at your discretion based upon what’s around you. Planes to your right, go left, etc. As far as FISK, you will get ATC instruction, but if you don’t, bail and rejoin. The holding patterns don’t exist until ATC declares they do, they don’t spontaneously spring up, so don’t worry about joining one if you don’t hear an instruction. Speaking of the holding patterns, if they are in use (usually because OSH is closed for some reason) I recommend not joining them but find a place to land an wait it out—that’s my SOP anyway.

When they say "fly 90 knots" I wonder if they mean True / Calibrated airspeed or Ground Speed. Or its more like a "90-ish" speed people just do whatever.

They say if you are rolling-up on the plane ahead of you, we should turn-out and rejoin back at the entry point. But I can't tell which direction they want us to turn-out, e.g. make a left-hand 180 turn and fly back on the north-side to rejoin, or make a right-hand 180 and fly opposite on the south-side to rejoin.

ALso confused by the part "Do not proceed beyond Fisk or change to Tower frequency without ATC authorization" what should the planes do that get to Fisk but don't get a call-out? Do we go into one of the VFR holding patterns, but if ATC doesn't give us a call-out then how do we know which one ?
Any speed you ever get instructed to do is indicated

Back