OSH 2021

Night airshow was cancelled and rescheduled for tomorrow night.

Hoping lots depart before the storm so I have a parking spot Thursday morning ;)

Watching FlightRadar24, it's like they kicked over a beehive about 30 minutes go (about 5:00 PM local, I assume that's when the airshow ended). Bunch of aircraft departing.

We got in around 11 and they parked us over by Basler’s for GAP parking, row 636. Other than on guy in a 172 that was clueless it was a pretty smooth run. He cut in and squeezed things together so badly when he couldn’t hold a speed that both the RV in front of him and I got sent for a lap around Rush Lake while they moved him up the line.

My wife refused to come unless we had a hotel room so I booked ours in October 2020. The only room left then was the Motel 6. It’s been a long long time since I’ve been in a motel 6 and it’s everything I remembered about them, except the price. $210 for three nights at a scuzzy, dirty motel 6.

Oh well, maybe it will seem like a good deal if the storms do roll in tonight.

gary

My wife said I got the rate wrong. It was $710 for the three nights.

I suspect the locals I see staying here aren’t paying close to that much. If they are they are selling their ‘wares’ for much more than they look like they are worth. Based on their teeth there may be an amateur chemist in their group though so they may have more cash than I’d expect.

gary

We bailed out this morning, I was planning on staying until tomorrow mainly because of the night airshow. Now that it got moved to tomorrow night I guess I didn't miss anything. Praying for the storms to miss Oshkosh! It was a zoo getting out, at least 45 min wait but we got out about 11:30. It just wasn't worth the risk to stay another night. Stay safe everyone!

You will. Lots of departures today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoo hoo!

I watched the exodus on flightaware this afternoon. Looking forward to the event

You guys headed home?

If you are headed south and need a lunch spot. Swing by 06C and let’s have lunch together at Pilot Pete’s.

Yeah hated to leave but we saw the weather report last night and decided to head out this morning.

Lunch would have been great. Hopefully next time!
Did manage to get the approaches in and knock out my long IFR xc though..thanks to @crash7

Ditto what @GBSoren said. Hope it does the Oshkosh split and misses y'all.

Oof. Best wishes to y’all up there.
5d781c180853dec06e5045e3a1232fbc.jpg

Convective SIGMET to FL600, tornadoes, hail to 2”, 80KTS gusts.

I don't remember the webcams going dark last night. . . hmmmm.

And square in the sights.... 2" hail and 26 inch per hour rain coming to OSH and a tornado. O Lord. . . make that 40" rain fall. All those beautiful show planes. . .

Attachments

• 2021 7-28 OSH Weather 1.jpg
    2021 7-28 OSH Weather 1.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Left this morning because of the weather forecast. Watching the radar I’m glad I did

62 minutes of taxi to takeoff. Didn’t know if I was going to get the plugs unflowled before I took off. When it started to nearly backfire, the line guy allowed me to pull out of line to get it smoothed out

Had two RV’s come up behind me and split around to pass. Uncalled for

at my mom and dads in Illinois. Did the laundry and will head to Texas tomorrow.

got to meet Bryan and Kevin the other night briefly as I was camped a few rows down.

can’t wait until next year

Looks like we dodged a bullet here at Osh with the severe weather. As I type this it’s just after midnight CDT and I’m sitting in a travel trailer roughly a mile and a half SW of the intersection of the KOSH runways. We received a lot of rain and lightning, but I didn’t notice any really high winds or hail at the trailer. Hopefully that was true for the folks and planes (mine included) actually on the airfield. Watching radar it appears the really nasty stuff slid by Osh just to the west.

Can’t see much until morning. In Scholler, the neighbor’s large tent collapsed but I can also see his car isn’t here, so I think that means he isn’t there. It is still staked down, just the poles are down.

I got some light spritzing blown through the fabric of my rain fly and mesh, but not enough to make a puddle.

Hoping the excitement doesn't fade too much for the rest of the week after the mass exodus today...guessing there are still plenty of people yet to fly in, maybe some will still come back

Hoping the excitement doesn't fade too much for the rest of the week after the mass exodus today...guessing there are still plenty of people yet to fly in, maybe some will still come back
I bet Thursday arrivals rival Saturday. Im reading a lot of comments of people who left and are planning to come back in addition to all those originally planning to go Wed & Thursday.

I checked the local weather stations in the area, looks like the highest wind gusts were in the mid 20 mph range, not bad, rain totals a little over an inch. Storms can vary a lot in intensity but looks like Osh was spared. Hopefully the rest of the week is good weather. Have a great time to those that stuck it out and to those that are heading in for the last weekend!

Nice lightning show out my dorm window after the thunder woke me up last night. Hope all is well out at the field.

Cheers

Can’t see much until morning. In Scholler, the neighbor’s large tent collapsed but I can also see his car isn’t here, so I think that means he isn’t there. It is still staked down, just the poles are down.

I got some light spritzing blown through the fabric of my rain fly and mesh, but not enough to make a puddle.
That sounds like he may have been the collapsor. Like he dropped the poles before leaving.

There was a tornado warning, which means a funnel cloud was spotted in the area. NWS warned of quarter-sized hail and damaging winds, as well. I took the bus to the museum for shelter, then bussed back to camp about 12:45. I was worried about my neighbors’ planes crashing into mine because they used the corkscrew tiedowns that I think are explicitly prohibited here, but since the wind never got bad it all turned out okay.

I’m leaving this morning as planned. I met up with a few POAers and some airplane friends from off-forum, met more interesting people, almost got a picture of the U-2 and Goodyear Blimp in the same shot, and probably maintained my weight despite racking up 50,000 steps in 3 days.

Good times.

Nice lightning show out my dorm window after the thunder woke me up last night. Hope all is well out at the field.

Cheers

It was quite a show last night, I set up a go pro out the window, but probably won't look at it until I get back home.

There was a tornado warning,
Where did you hear that? My phone didn't go off for one, and the sirens in town didn't go off. Also, most tornado warnings are now doppler indicated, not spotted.

Where did you hear that? My phone didn't go off for one, and the sirens in town didn't go off. Also, most tornado warnings are now doppler indicated, not spotted.
It was announced by EAA staff while we were at the museum.

Arrived. RNAV27 this morning since the field was still IFR.

We departed from 18 yesterday AM. From what I saw as we flew past the South 40, I'm betting this year's event had many more fly-in attendees than ever before. Aircraft were parked way south of the end of 18. The HB areas were full, the antique areas were full, and I assume the N40 was full too. Very busy/successful first 3 days of the show. I'm interested in whether the place is a shell of itself today, or if lots of brave souls stuck it out?

Tornado concern was at Omro and Ripon, close enough to make things worth mentioning.

So finally made it over to the plane to check her out after the storm— no damage I’m happy to report.

That sounds like he may have been the collapsor. Like he dropped the poles before leaving.

No, one of the sections collapsed and the rest folded in on itself. Apparently it was minor because he was able to set it back up again and start drying things out. He had stayed with friends in a camper.

The people did leave the drainage ditch before the storm.

I saw another tent with mangled poles, but very little other damage.

My plane and all the ones nearby were fine. The town of Ripon got hit pretty hard. Lots of downed lines and power lines. The news reports I saw said they had high straight-line winds and the entire town lost power.

gary

Was a Tornado Watch issued, or a Tornado Warning?

Warning. There were a couple issued, I believe. One was when the storm was due NW of OSH and the other was when storm was due west or SW of OSH, right over Ripon.

Back