OSH 2016 -- It's a wrap!

Anyone who did not take time to go see and hear Dick Cole speak really missed out. There are few true American heroes, but he is one. His talk and the Weds night airshow were the highlights for me.

Lowlight happened before we ever left. Calculating we were overweight, we reluctantly unloaded the cots at the last minute so we could go ahead and depart. Woke up in puddles Thurs and Fri morning.

Agree, Dick Cole was amazing. I've heard the Raiders talk many times over the years, and it was truly sad to hear the last survivor...

As for the cots, next year bring inflatable air beds. They have utterly changed camping for the better, and are darned near as comfortable as real beds.

anyone get ramp-checked by the po-po while @ OSH?

I got to fly with VR glasses that displayed airspace and landmarks on the ground, simply by looking at them. It was an awesome glimpse of the future of avionics!

That's not a new company, it's a (so far, vaporware) company that has re-emerged this year after having stuff there in 2011 also which never went anywhere. Biggest problem... who wants to have the glare and stupidity of a pair of goggles on their face in bright sunlight, and the VR doesn't work well in that environment either... when a glass plate / HUD barely work without massive brightness (or in the case of the 787, a clip on sunglasses like thing) for daylight ops, goggles are even worse.

"Final" solution is just going to be to display stuff directly on the windshield... HUD plates and goggles just make the UI unnecessarily difficult. But to do the windshield needs REALLY bright light and adaptive brightness controls. It also has parallax problems, which is about the only thing the goggles get rid of.

Keep the cots.. but ship them!

I sent 4 bags with total weight of 170# from OSH to Fort Worth for about $1/pound. Packing was much easier, and we'll do it again. With the round trip for the baggage around $300, flying well below gross during the approach, and the convenience of the extra items it's an easy decision.

Nope. Opposite actually. I had a nice chat with a few of the FAA guys and ended up being interviewed by one of them for a video on how they can improve.
2m6697k.jpg

TC:D

Keep the cots.. but ship them!

I sent 4 bags with total weight of 170# from OSH to Fort Worth for about $1/pound. Packing was much easier, and we'll do it again. With the round trip for the baggage around $300, flying well below gross during the approach, and the convenience of the extra items it's an easy decision.

Where do you ship them to in Oshkosh?

Where do you ship them to in Oshkosh?

I made the mistake of letting my wife know that the UNI allowed shipping and holding items until you arrive.. That filled my baggage allowance even before I arrived.. LOL

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 31
Dating back to going to Rockford in a T-Craft for the show with just a war surplus ground tarp and sleeping bag, I miss being there - not enough to actually go this year, though. The enthusiasm of you fellas is great, keep it up.
The show is two parts. The first is being around the planes and the pilots and cruising the fly market and the exhibitors looking for that bargain, the theater in the woods, sleeping in the tent, feeding the mosquitos. Wonderful!
The second is feeding the vampires that own and control AirVenture. Not wonderful. I have expressed my opinion on here of the corporate entity that now owns OUR show with their salaries, health care, vacations, sick leave, and retirement bennies so I won't repeat it.

The second is feeding the vampires that own and control AirVenture. Not wonderful. I have expressed my opinion on here of the corporate entity that now owns OUR show with their salaries, health care, vacations, sick leave, and retirement bennies so I won't repeat it.

Yeah! Why don't they do it nearly for free and live off government benefits like those awesome Walmart employees!

Dating back to going to Rockford in a T-Craft for the show with just a war surplus ground tarp and sleeping bag, I miss being there - not enough to actually go this year, though. The enthusiasm of you fellas is great, keep it up.
The show is two parts. The first is being around the planes and the pilots and cruising the fly market and the exhibitors looking for that bargain, the theater in the woods, sleeping in the tent, feeding the mosquitos. Wonderful!

I agree with your sentiment, but here's my take on it:

I don't care if the people behind EAA are associated with George Soros, Donald Trump, or the Devil himself -- just so long as they continue to produce whatever magic it takes to get thousands of pilots, thousands of volunteers, and hundreds of vendors to drag their butts across the country to Oshkosh.

After 34 years, I honestly admit that I don't know how they do it. It's some sort of alchemy.

I have only two issues. Number 1 is a safety (like near disaster) issue. When I was leaving Friday, pulling out of Vintage (about noon), joining he Conga Line for a 36L departure, they put me behind an RV and ahead of a Lodestar. So, I dutifully used the RV as my reference for spacing. However, at the south end of the taxiway, there is another entry point. There were no flagmen to my left and I can see nothing on my right for obvious reasons. I came within 30" of eating the left wing of a Maule with my Ham Standard, and only seeing a guy in my right window with his flashlights crossed (as in "stop") did I know that they had left the Maule in front of me from that final entry point. The pink shirts are great but they need one on the left at that turn. Every lineboy in the country knows that to marshal large taildraggers you must be able to see the pilots face. You can wave your hands all you want on the right side but pilot can't see you.

Issue number 2. Trash at the dumpster near the Vintage CAmping (near the food stand by the Ultralights). That thing was running over with trash blowing all over the place. Get a new trash guy, sez me.

As usual, love OSH. Planning on next year with little grandsons for the first time. Got to work out the logistics of bringing big family to the event. Don't want to rent a house but might have to. I will still sleep under the wing.

Back