OSH 2016 -- It's a wrap!

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Just made it back home, after our 34th consecutive EAA convention. 14.6 hours of flying, chock to chock, with two overnight stops, two fuel stops, and one very large (like, 2 states) weather diversion on the way home.

All VFR, all flawless. Ain't GA wunnerful??

As always, it's time to start the list of "Hits" and "Misses" for the year, while it's still fresh in our minds.

Hits

1. The Mars rocked. Seeing a giant flying boat, a throwback to the Golden Age of flight, was worth the price of admission right there. What a cool plane!

2. North 40 Restaurant and Store. Once again, for the third year we were lucky to have an excellent restaurant out in the North 40 camping area. For many years, our choices were off-field, or very far away on-field, and we really appreciate the great food and service!

3. EvilEagle and his F-15. It was a privilege to meet him, and to learn some things about his awesome plane. POA is lucky to have him as a member.

4. The Weather. Sure, it was damp midweek, but there were no major storms during the show, and the early heat abated by Day 3. Sleeping at night was PERFECT, with temps in the 60s and 50s by the end.

5. Controllers. As always, they were the best of the best, proving to be unflappable in the face of even the worst "Stupid Pilots Tricks".

6. Attendance. This was our biggest (and best) surprise. In an era when flying continues to dwindle, everyone turned out! It was fabulous.

7. The Snowbirds. I think I lost count at 7, as they switched from one amazing formation to the next, while looping and rolling. So graceful and precise!

Misses

1. Pottie Shortage. For whatever reason, they took a bank of PortAPotties out along the road near the green shower building. This meant just eight (8!) toilets serving hundreds of campers. Needless to say, the morning constitutional line was epic. EAA needs to fix this for 2017.

2. EAA WiFi. This continues to be a complete joke in the North 40. We gave up and set up cellular hotspots throughout the week.

3. Warbirds Cafe. The flipside of our terrific North 40 restaurant was the terrible restaurant in the war birds area. We went there for breakfast one morning and paid $58 for food that our corner gas station would reject. It was appallingly bad.

4. No P-38s. After years of stellar attendance, not a single one of my favorite Warbirds made it to the show. The extremely rare P-39 appearance helped, but WTH?

5. Emergency Preparedness. A perennial problem at OSH, they continue to lack the manpower to handle minor mishaps without closing the entire airport. Thus, a gear-up landing on Rwy 27 shut down all arrivals on Rwy 36L and 36R, throwing dozens (hundreds?) of pilots into the Rush and Green Lake holds, simply because they lack the equipment to cover both runways. This happened several times throughout the week.

6. Emergency Response. The Gene Soucey incident during the Saturday night airshow was eerily reminiscent of the infamous crash where the biplane pilot died while waiting 4 minutes until a fire truck arrived.

In this case, Soucey had a problem with his pyrotechnics (they wouldn't go out!), and he started dropping embers on the North 40 as he circled. He calmly notified the Air Boss that he would need to be met by a fire truck after landing. He circled a couple of times, landed uneventfully on Rwy 27, and then exited by the Weeks Hangar -- where he sat for 3 full minutes, awaiting assistance.

Somehow, some way, the firemen got the wrong info, and were sitting down at the end of Rwy 9. They apparently could not hear Soucey or the Air Boss as they increasingly urgently directed them to get their butts down to the aircraft in distress. They finally started spraying water 3+ minutes after Soucey rolled to a stop. It was crazy to watch, and we heard it all unfold on my buddy's handheld radio.

7. Rusty Pilots. Hoo boy, this one was a problem. With flying so far down, it was obvious that a lot of guys used all of this year's flight money attending the show. What we saw and heard could only happen to guys who haven't flown enough, and they included:

- Two pilots on final for Rwy 9, as Rwy 27 was in heavy use. The controller thankfully spotted them, and frantically shouted them off.

- Pilots talking incessantly. If anything screams "I didn't read the NOTAM", it is this.

- Stuck mikes. At least 3, throughout the week.

- Lots of too fast approaches leading to looooong, floating landings. On the flipside were the guys who ignored the order to "keep it in the air" who landed short, causing the controllers to order go-arounds. We witnessed a twin being sent around THREE TIMES due to this sort of stuff.

As always, the Oshkosh week was about people. Family and friends, all together to celebrate life, camaraderie, and aviation. In this regard the show was a spectacular success, with old friendships affirmed, new friends made, and our little family reunited for the first time in a year. There is simply no place like Oshkosh, and we are already making plans for OSH 17, which will be our 35th in a row!

Last edited:
I was a little off in my mosquito prediction too... they seemed to cool their jets just before the Kosh started (here in MN at least).

signed
-"jealous in MN"

That is a pretty good summary Jay. I also got thinking this year about why an issue on one runway would cause issues on the other.

I was also surprised at almost the complete non-existence of any bugs. I a

Very nice write up, Jay.

The Mars was quite a sight to behold, and I'm thankful I got to see it. The only gripe I have about it was the price just to go inside. I think it was either $125 or $175. Either way, that's big change just for a tour. I know it takes big money to keep that behemoth flyable, but they'd probably double their money if they charged a lot less. Harrison Ford got to fly the dang thang!

It was my first time to stay in the North 40. The bathroom/showers up there are amazing. Plenty of showers down on the west end. I don't think I ever saw them even 50% occupied. The toilets were pretty few compared to the showers, however.

I was pleased to have plenty of power outlets available in the N40 as well. I will echo Jay's sentiments on the Wifi. Nearly non-existent.

I too was hoping to see a P-38. This amazes me. How can the P-38 folks skip Oshkosh??? There were some great warbirds present, though.

The Kobussen busses were stellar, and I was extremely grateful for their services.

Although not terribly surprising, some of the food inside the gates was ridiculously expensive. I mean ridiculous. However, the A&Ws weren't too high priced and the food was just fine in my opinion. I'm always happy to have a place to get a little ice cream to boot.

I enjoyed the Snowbirds. The show started out a little slow since they expedited after the F-16 had to cut his flight short. Then, of course, one of the Snowbirds had a bird strike. After they got rolling, I was very impressed by their precision. They don't make a lot of noise like the birds with afterburners do, but they are indeed graceful, smooth, and tight. Glad they came to give us a show.

Really enjoyed getting a good tour of the C5M Super Galaxy. Man that's a huge chunk of iron! It still baffles me that something that big can get off the ground.

I was bummed that I didn't get a chance to visit with EvilEagle at the F-15. That's nobody's fault, of course. I just kept missing him.

I'm still fuming about the idiot pilots that can't read a Notam. I would encourage everyone on POA to make sure they mention the Notam to anyone they may come across that's planning to go to Osh over the next year.

The controllers were outstanding in my opinion. The only thing I don't care for is when they have people "keep it tight, keep it tight," on base to final, and it seems dangerous to have someone set up for one dot, then have them add power and "keep it flyin" down to the next dot at the last second. Sure, we should all be able to do those things, and personally, it's not a problem in me old 182, but it seems like it adds another layer of danger and may be asking for trouble. I know many people are coming in tired, nervous, and loaded to the hilt. A 50+ deg bank angle, at slow speed, then having to shove in some throttle at the bottom end of a steep decent to go on down and hit a dot you weren't set up for could get somebody in trouble. All in all, I think the controllers do a fantastic job of handling the whole mess of us. I love the challenge.

I was quite pleased with the availability of good, free water.

Many of the flight demonstrations were just awesome.

I really, really love the honor flight. It warms my heart to see so many folks, even foreigners gather around the plane and applaud the veterans as they disembark. Wonderful!

Stuck.....Freaking......Mics!! COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

All in all, I had a fantastic time at OSH. I was honored to get to bring my big brother for his first Oshkosh experience. He's been a lover of aviation longer than me, and it's because of him and his model airplanes as kids that I took to aviation at a young age. As life would have it, I was able to fulfill the dream of flight and airplane ownership before he could, so it was a great pleasure to have an adventure with my big bro and share the one-of-a-kind Oshkosh experience with him.

Edit: Um, yeah.....No bugs at all.?.? Heck, I think I wiped like 7 bug splatters off my leading edges when I got home. Didn't expect that. Of course, that could be because of the Collinite 845 that I applied before heading up, thanks to Henning ;)

Last edited:
Talking about reading the notam,

First, you should have it before you go, then when you arrive, they hand you a copy of the departure procedures. They tell you to get a personal departure briefing where they give you a third copy and thoroughly explain the procedure to you. As you are taking off, the controller has said at least five times, "Turn right, maintain heading 150 at or below 1300' until clear of the Class D, avoid the seaplane base"

After all this, the jack wagon in front of me takes off turns to about 100-110 heading and just keeps climbing like he's the only guy in the sky. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Talking about reading the notam,

First, you should have it before you go, then when you arrive, they hand you a copy of the departure procedures. They tell you to get a personal departure briefing where they give you a third copy and thoroughly explain the procedure to you. As you are taking off, the controller has said at least five times, "Turn right, maintain heading 150 at or below 1300' until clear of the Class D, avoid the seaplane base"

After all this, the jack wagon in front of me takes off turns to about 100-110 heading and just keeps climbing like he's the only guy in the sky. UNBELIEVABLE !!!

We went to get the departure briefing and the guy was like "Meh, take off and don't crash" Less than 15 second conversation.

Add to the "good" the folks in Camp Scholler that process one-third of the normal population of Oshkosh in jolly quick time ... half an hour wait at the gate at the peak times.

Add to the bad stuff:

1. Whoever controls the mixing valve from hot to cold water in the Scholler main shower. Pretty warm on Sunday and Monday but absolutely freezing the rest of the week. I've still got a part of my lower anatomy that is hiding somewhere back up inside, afraid to come out.

2. (Applies only to those of us who spend a few dozen hours preparing a forum presentation.) Those lousy kerosene-powered laptop computers running XP and Adobe READER pos that we use for our presentations. And nobody bothers to check the damned things when they set them up. I had a full-house audio presentation and the audio didn't work at all. Every other place I speak during the year have clip-on lapel mikes and the forums use those big clunky lollipop microphones and trip-on cords. Millions of dollars of entry fees and admissions and nickels and dimes to put the show on.

3. The commercial exhibits (A,B,C,D) need an "incubator" section where new companies can get space for a VERY nominal fee for ONE YEAR ONLY and then once on their feet they can rent space normally.

4. And speaking of which, Oshkosh is an AIRPLANE show, not a ginsing knife and magic skin cream pimping sleaze. Let those folks go out into the fly mart and lower your prices for the airplane exhibitors to fill up the building.​

4. And speaking of which, Oshkosh is an AIRPLANE show, not a ginsing knife and magic skin cream pimping sleaze. Let those folks go out into the fly mart and lower your prices for the airplane exhibitors to fill up the building.​

Agree. I was surprised at the non aviation stuff vendors were selling.

FWIW, HBC had great showers and restrooms. No lines, very private, clean... I was totally expecting high school group showers and long lines... None of that.

Really interesting and valid comments here.

I did get to meet EvilEagle. An awfully nice guy! Sure knows a hell of a lot, and incredibly patient talking with the public. Pleased to have photos with him (not posting since don't have his permission).

Got to meet several POAers in real life, which was great. Look forward to more of that.

Jim's comments on the EAA and vendors are right on target and excellent ideas. Several folks told me aviation vendors are fleeing Hangar D.

Sadly, for me it was another year missing the POA parties. The perils of being there for work and at the mercy of 7 colleagues. Hopefully, next year...

Last edited:
Listening from afar and watching the airshow streams...

1. The stuck mics were annoying and dangerous, seriously if I were the air boss I would shut down the airshow until it was fixed. Get a few ham radio guys to show up with a few directional antennas and find whoever it is. Then publicly shame them. I hate to be a jerk (OK maybe I don't) ;) but people's lives depend on it. Also make the TFR a little longer in case the show goes over or you have to temporarily stop it. In a few cases they cut a few things because the TFR was over and they were not done.

2. It is clear people don't read the Notam. What's up with all the chatter?

3. The controllers are pretty impressive considering the number of knuckleheads who can't read or listen.

Also make the TFR a little longer in case the show goes over or you have to temporarily stop it. In a few cases they cut a few things because the TFR was over and they were not done.

I struggle with the idea of extending the TFR. There are a lot of fly-in attendees who need to leave (or arrive) after the show. There are few things worse than being held hostage at an airshow and not being able to leave when you planned. All while watching your weather or daylight window shrink from good to OK to marginal to unacceptable. BTDT.

Listening from afar and watching the airshow streams...

1. The stuck mics were annoying and dangerous, seriously if I were the air boss I would shut down the airshow until it was fixed. Get a few ham radio guys to show up with a few directional antennas and find whoever it is. Then publicly shame them. I hate to be a jerk (OK maybe I don't) ;) but people's lives depend on it. Also make the TFR a little longer in case the show goes over or you have to temporarily stop it. In a few cases they cut a few things because the TFR was over and they were not done.

2. It is clear people don't read the Notam. What's up with all the chatter?

3. The controllers are pretty impressive considering the number of knuckleheads who can't read or listen.
Someone else (Nate? My son? I don't recall) had the simplest idea of all for a stuck mike -- an alternate frequency.

Got a stuck mike? Are you only hearing some guy discussing lunch, on the Rwy 27 tower frequency? Switch to the alternate, which could be published in the Notam.

This is 2016, not 1956. We should have multiple frequencies available for such an occurrence.

3. The commercial exhibits (A,B,C,D) need an "incubator" section where new companies can get space for a VERY nominal fee for ONE YEAR ONLY and then once on their feet they can rent space normally.

Amen, brother.

I can rattle off a dozen former exhibitors who have been driven away by the cost -- and a dozen more who never got past the "How much?" question. My company included.

BTW: EAA did have a new "Innovators Building" where a few cutting edge companies were showing their wares. There, I got to fly with VR glasses that displayed airspace and landmarks on the ground, simply by looking at them. It was an awesome glimpse of the future of avionics!

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but for me, the most frustrating part of Oshkosh is, as others have mentioned, the absolutely pitiful planning of too many pilots flying in. Whether they didn't read, didn't understand, or just chose to not follow, the NOTAM, they're putting all of us in danger. I made the trip twice this year, flying the Ripon/Fisk arrival each time, and both times there were pilots who simply bypassed Ripon and flew directly to Fisk, pilots who merged into the railroad track line at some midpoint, couldn't maintain altitude or airspeed, or couldn't keep their damn mouths shut on the radio. Additionally, when coming up from the south with Milwaukee/Madison/Chicago approach and center, a TON of pilots kept calling and requesting flight following, etc. despite the clear language of the NOTAM that such services would not be provided. All that did was tie up the frequency for everyone else (I was IFR to Madison, cancelled and VFR after, as provided in the NOTAM). Unfortunately, I don't know that there's a good mechanism in place to smack these yahoos.

I'm not sure what can be done about it, but for me, the most frustrating part of Oshkosh is, as others have mentioned, the absolutely pitiful planning of too many pilots flying in. Whether they didn't read, didn't understand, or just chose to not follow, the NOTAM, they're putting all of us in danger. I made the trip twice this year, flying the Ripon/Fisk arrival each time, and both times there were pilots who simply bypassed Ripon and flew directly to Fisk, pilots who merged into the railroad track line at some midpoint, couldn't maintain altitude or airspeed, or couldn't keep their damn mouths shut on the radio. Additionally, when coming up from the south with Milwaukee/Madison/Chicago approach and center, a TON of pilots kept calling and requesting flight following, etc. despite the clear language of the NOTAM that such services would not be provided. All that did was tie up the frequency for everyone else (I was IFR to Madison, cancelled and VFR after, as provided in the NOTAM). Unfortunately, I don't know that there's a good mechanism in place to smack these yahoos.
What you describe has grown slowly but steadily worse, over the last 10 years. Although at least this year we didn't hear a pilot READING THE NOTAM to his flight of 5 aircraft as they were approaching Ripon. lol

I'm afraid it's the inevitable by-product of diminished flying hours. Rusty pilots are not proficient, and, after watching OSH ops every afternoon for 7 days, it is painfully obvious that many of our brethren used their entire year's flying budget last week.

What you describe has grown slowly but steadily worse, over the last 10 years. Although at least this year we didn't hear a pilot READING THE NOTAM to his flight of 5 aircraft as they were approaching Ripon. lol

I'm afraid it's the inevitable by-product of diminished flying hours. Rusty pilots are not proficient, and, after watching OSH ops every afternoon for 7 days, it is painfully obvious that many of our brethren used their entire year's flying budget last week.

I was explaining it to someone when I got back to work as "Oshkosh is some of these pilots only flight of the year, and it's terrifying..." But identifying and "correcting" these folks is next to impossible. I agree it's a byproduct of diminished flight hours, and probably to some extent an aging pilot population.

On top of those guys, we have the handfull of inconsiderate asshats who start their airplanes IN their camping spots, blowing over campsites behind them. This year, I watched the EAA guys direct airplanes to pull directly into camping spots, and a few of those pilots pulled into the spots and proceeded to let their airplanes sit at high idle, prop wash abusing the camp sites behind them, for a few minutes while they dutifully completed their post-flight checklists...

Sure loved it- and the awesome thing is my wife loved it too! We " did" AirVenture "organically"-- a two-man tent, sleeping bags, air matress and a battery-powered lantern; about all that fits into a standard Delsey suitcase.

Being Canadian, it was cool to see the Snowbirds and the Martin Mars being the stars of the show (given the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels absent). This having been my 4th AirVenture, it was a first time for me to attend any of the Workshops and it was great fun and a confidence builder- me not being very mechancially inclined.

Going through the Oshkosh Withdrawal Syndrome now. Hopefully my employer will be charitable enough to allow me to attend 2017. Only one year to go and build up the anticipation!

Going through the Oshkosh Withdrawal Syndrome now.

I can vouch for the fact that this is a very real malady. I must return to the hotel this afternoon, and will soon be facing the usual BS that goes with a ten day absence.

I will then enter a deep, dark depression, as I realize that Oshkosh was not "real life", and I must wait 51 weeks to live it again.

In a few days, it will all seem like a dream.

I agree with Jay. While the portapotties were nicer this year and last (and so were the portable showers in Vintage), the servicing was less frequent than in the old WM (or even if you're old enough Metro days). And there were DEFINITELY fewer of them. Some of that was resolved as the week went along (there were none in the Vintage camping area behind the woods for example) but even then they were never up to the old numbers.

I agree, there's no excuse for people dialed in on the airboss frequency with a transceiver. If you want to listen to that, buy a scanner. We won't even give out the frequency though it's not hard for people to figure it out. And yes, they do have an alternate frequency, but it's a PITA to switch in an elaborate warbirds show where you've got 30+ ships in the air.

The Ginsu/Eye Firming Cream/Massage Chair (at least most of the TENS sellers are gone) pays the rent. They didn't sell out of the inside buildings (this is a far cry from a decade ago) so I don't see the harm in these.

Don't get me started on the anachronistic DEPARTURE BRIEFING team. They just confuse people. There's NO INFORMATION that they can convey to you that isn't expressely printed in the NOTAM. We have a bunch of the departure page of the notam printed out that we hand to people who think they need a briefing. The reason that group exists is that there used to be a continually running FLY-BY pattern along 18-36 all morning before the airshow. The departure briefing was a special instruction for those who wanted to depart on 18-36 during those times to get them to avoid that pattern (this wasn't in the notam). The flyby pattern is gone, so this is not necessary. When they want to do some demo pattern on 18-36, they just shutdown that runway now and we direct everybody to 9-27. Alas the team that runs that operation is evidentally politically connected enough that they can't be disbanded or reassigned to something else useful. I had their chairman demand what I had done with his building (I wasn't even working at the time, I was at the registration building registering my airplane). Moving buildings around is way above my "pay grade."

I thought about the alternate frequency thing I was mainly talking about the stuck mics on the air boss frequency during the airshow. I mean seriously dangerous. The problem is how do you get people to know to switch and when in that case as was mentioned.

That's what I was talking about. The airboss has enough ERP to wipe out most handhelds, but it's still a logistical problem when you're juggling 30+ airplanes in the sky to do that.

Given the economic situation of the last several years, I'd have to say they (EAA) did a damn good job this year. This was likely the biggest AVIATION (Not "Nascar Crowd") turnout since 2008, folks.

The Mall was full, or seemed to be so, though a couple of my favorites weren't there this year due to financial difficulties.
The ABCD Buildings were more crowded this year than I have seen in a long time.
Moving it up a week to account for "Year-round-school" starting times has helped a bunch, IMO. (do kids even get a "Summer" anymore?")
Parking was at a premium, even in Ultralights, the first time I have seen that. (If you folks remember, the parking during SloshKosh was even worse)
Can't really speak to the pottie situation, I hotel'd it this year, and could only stay a couple of days.
The CAP Kids did a hell of a job given the unusual surge of traffic this year. Makes me proud of them, since I used to be one, long ago, doing the same thing.

Let's remember that as the pilot population is aging out, so are many of the year-after-year EAA Volunteers. You will recall that they put a out a big call back in May for help, and were asking college kids to volunteer.

Got up-close opportunities with a couple of my favorite aircraft this year. If I had been able to stay longer, I had been offered a ride in one of them.

In conclusion, at least for the short time (48+ hrs) I was able to spend up there, they did a hell of a job, IMO.

EAA just released their data.

563,000 attendees (+1%)

2,855 showplanes (+7%)

1,124 Homebuilts (+11%)

1,032 Vintage (+7%)

371 Warbirds (+6%)

I must say, I'm surprised by that attendance figure being up less than 1%. Early in the week, it seemed like the numbers were way higher than past years. Apparently the lack of a big "second wave", combined with lower drive-in attendance, must have hurt?

Only beef I got was we were situated on the departure end of Runway 9 and wound up having to taxi to the exact other end of the airport to runway 36 (lots of it in grass, what a nice thing to do in a Mooney).

Still, 3 1/2 hours later we were back at home. Wound up crossing the lake at a perilously low altitude, though.

EAA just released their data.

563,000 attendees (+1%)

2,855 showplanes (+7%)

1,124 Homebuilts (+11%)

1,032 Vintage (+7%)

371 Warbirds (+6%)

Jay,

I am not sure I understand the numbers entirely-- are "showplanes" all of the aircraft that flew in that didn't fall into the other categories you cited? Also, just wondering if EAA published the number of camping units that stayed at Camp Scholler over the week?

Only beef I got was we were situated on the departure end of Runway 9 and wound up having to taxi to the exact other end of the airport to runway 36 (lots of it in grass, what a nice thing to do in a Mooney).

Still, 3 1/2 hours later we were back at home. Wound up crossing the lake at a perilously low altitude, though.
I crossed the Big Lake (Michigan) in a Mooney just like yours 20 years ago. I was copilot, and we never got above 3,000'. The pilot was my CFI, and I didn't feel I could over-rule his decision.

Never again! That was the most uncomfortable I've been in an airplane.

Glad you made it home safely!

I crossed the Big Lake (Michigan) in a Mooney just like yours 20 years ago. I was copilot, and we never got above 3,000'. The pilot was my CFI, and I didn't feel I could over-rule his decision.

Never again! That was the most uncomfortable I've been in an airplane.

Glad you made it home safely!

Yeah, I kinda questioned my own decision making after that. However, had we not gone then I think we'd still be there. Every time I looked at the wx between me and OSH it appeared horrible. Got home about 3:30 on Thursday. Thought I'd take a nap, so about 5:00 I went upstairs and stretched out. I didn't wake up until 8:00 the next morning.

Jay,

I am not sure I understand the numbers entirely-- are "showplanes" all of the aircraft that flew in that didn't fall into the other categories you cited? Also, just wondering if EAA published the number of camping units that stayed at Camp Scholler over the week?
I have no idea how EAA compiles attendance. I presume it's simply a total number of entry tickets sold, but I could be wrong.

I can vouch for the fact that this is a very real malady. I must return to the hotel this afternoon, and will soon be facing the usual BS that goes with a ten day absence.

I will then enter a deep, dark depression, as I realize that Oshkosh was not "real life", and I must wait 51 weeks to live it again.

In a few days, it will all seem like a dream.

Earlier this year, I came to realize that I was an atheist; not buying into the vision of what life after death is like that they pedal in churches, synagogues or mosques, and disgusted with the way the World behaves in the name of religion.

Now, if EAAer's can model a new cult, not unlike the Pastafarians, and convince me that "heaven" is a never-ending AirVenture, where our new religion helps create a society and a world in which people from all over the planet and of differing political views enthusiastically interact with each other peacefully and in a friendly, warm manner as we see during AirVenture, I'm in! Heck, we already have the venue and timing for the annual pilgrimage. :)

Wanted to come out and meet you.
Wandered over to that area a couple times but it was vacant.

Next year...
We were all there, under the big Texas flag, every evening after the airshow. Dr. Steingar made several appearances.

We usually headed out for dinner when the field closed at 8, so you must've stopped by then.

Earlier this year, I came to realize that I was an atheist; not buying into the vision of what life after death is like that they pedal in churches, synagogues or mosques, and disgusted with the way the World behaves in the name of religion.

Now, if EAAer's can model a new cult, not unlike the Pastafarians, and convince me that "heaven" is a never-ending AirVenture, where our new religion helps create a society and a world in which people from all over the planet and of differing political views enthusiastically interact with each other peacefully and in a friendly, warm manner as we see during AirVenture, I'm in! Heck, we already have the venue and timing for the annual pilgrimage. :)
lol I have called our annual trek to Oshkosh "the Hajj" on many occasions. For us, it is a religious experience, making up for the other 51 weeks of BS we must endure in order to bask in its redemption.

Although at least this year we didn't hear a pilot READING THE NOTAM to his flight of 5 aircraft as they were approaching Ripon.

That's nuts!

I agree with Jay. While the portapotties were nicer this year and last (and so were the portable showers in Vintage), the servicing was less frequent than in the old WM (or even if you're old enough Metro days). And there were DEFINITELY fewer of them.

We were lucky to be in Interstate 195 and our standard bank of portapotties was still there. Seemed like they were still being serviced twice a day too. Sucks that others didn't have the same experience. That's something the EAA should hear about.

I must say, I'm surprised by that attendance figure being up less than 1%. Early in the week, it seemed like the numbers were way higher than past years. Apparently the lack of a big "second wave", combined with lower drive-in attendance, must have hurt?

Looked to me like people shifted their plans to the first half of the week because the forecast for the second was so bad. Supporting data is that the show was basically closed by 9am Mon morning and then looked emptier than usual to me Thu-Sun.

lol I have called our annual trek to Oshkosh "the Hajj" on many occasions. For us, it is a religious experience, making up for the other 51 weeks of BS we must endure in order to bask in its redemption.

I live in the Middle East in a predominantly Muslim country-- I tell my co-workers, "yes, I am going on pilgrimage too this year"! :)
Not unlike the Hajj, it should be the duty of good pilots to go at least once during their lifetime.

Were there a heaven it would be Oshkosh during the show with no rain and good wx. There'd have to be dogs, too. Problem is if such an afterlife existed I'd be in a damn big hurry to get there.

Other problem is all the non pilots would be bored silly and would make that place into the other place.

Anyone who did not take time to go see and hear Dick Cole speak really missed out. There are few true American heroes, but he is one. His talk and the Weds night airshow were the highlights for me.

Lowlight happened before we ever left. Calculating we were overweight, we reluctantly unloaded the cots at the last minute so we could go ahead and depart. Woke up in puddles Thurs and Fri morning.

Anyone who did not take time to go see and hear Dick Cole speak really missed out. There are few true American heroes, but he is one. His talk and the Weds night airshow were the highlights for me.

Lowlight happened before we ever left. Calculating we were overweight, we reluctantly unloaded the cots at the last minute so we could go ahead and depart. Woke up in puddles Thurs and Fri morning.

Overweight? I thought the Oshkosh NOTAM came with a blanket gross-weight waiver...

Back