OSH 2014 -- Who's In?

Yeah, getting back to Oshkosh.

Do you monitor 120.7 all the way from 15 miles before Ripon to touchdown?

Or do they give you frequency change at Pickett/Fisk?

Pick up the Arrival ATIS on 125.9.
Yeah I tune in 120.7 a ways out. It lets you know how busy things are. This lets you know how busy things are and if there is something that's stopped up arrivals. There's no point in trying to join the transition if the airport isn't taking arrivals. Go hold somewhere else or land and wait it out.

Once you get to Fisk, they'll tell you to either turn EAST along Fisk road (it's obvious) for 36L/R and told to change to 126.6 or to continue along the railroad tracks for either a base entry into 9 or a right downwind entry to 27 and change to frequency 118.5

Those are the normal and most orderly configurations. On a rare occasion they may have to use 18. keep an ear out as to what they want you to do, they can either send you up the tracks to a right base or turn you east to make a left downwind entry. It's less common that they do this.

All these various things are in the NOTAM however.

Pick up the Arrival ATIS on 125.9.
Yeah I tune in 120.7 a ways out. It lets you know how busy things are. This lets you know how busy things are and if there is something that's stopped up arrivals. There's no point in trying to join the transition if the airport isn't taking arrivals. Go hold somewhere else or land and wait it out.

Once you get to Fisk, they'll tell you to either turn EAST along Fisk road (it's obvious) for 36L/R and told to change to 126.6 or to continue along the railroad tracks for either a base entry into 9 or a right downwind entry to 27 and change to frequency 118.5

Those are the normal and most orderly configurations. On a rare occasion they may have to use 18. keep an ear out as to what they want you to do, they can either send you up the tracks to a right base or turn you east to make a left downwind entry. It's less common that they do this.

All these various things are in the NOTAM however.

Thanks.

I noticed you said you give rides while you're there.

Do many people go flying in their planes after they get there? Or do most people land once, park, and never fly again until departure?

What is involved with going out again if you're in the North 40?

I have no idea, I've not had too stoop so low as to park in the North 40 in 20 years.

I have no idea, I've not had too stoop so low as to park in the North 40 in 20 years.

3563000-9023160659-vign_.jpg

:lol:

What's funny is that I've had the opportunity to park in Vintage and Homebuilt, but never wanted to leave the wondrous, sacred ground of the North Forty. We just love it out there, amongst the unwashed masses, where you might be parked next to a King Air, or a Cezzna 150!

Besides, the food is WAY better out in the North 40, with three great restaurants (and several mediocre ones) around the perimeter fence.

What's funny is that I've had the opportunity to park in Vintage and Homebuilt, but never wanted to leave the wondrous, sacred ground of the North Forty. We just love it out there, amongst the unwashed masses, where you might be parked next to a King Air, or a Cezzna 150!

Besides, the food is WAY better out in the North 40, with three great restaurants (and several mediocre ones) around the perimeter fence.

If I bring a fine bottle of wine am I welcome at your party?

;)

Not really the beer swilling type myself.

Vintage looks like it's a little closer to the plaza and all that business.

But I like the sound of food.

Do a lot of people park their plane and camp elsewhere? Is that allowed? Do people camp crash other people?

Last edited:

;)

Of course! Ron (and his wife, Margy) are winers, too. You'll feel right at home!

Everyone at Oshkosh is family. We are united as one, for that week.

;)

We bring wine to Jay's party and I guarantee it will be better than average. There's a picture in Jay's collection somewhere of us trying to use one of those doggy anchor tie down screws to open the bottle.

We have wine open near every night in our vintage campground, when we're not running the battery powered frozen drink machine.

And for those without planes, camping in Shcoller was pretty nice too. Lots of people there willing to strike up a conversation, and you might spy a campfire too. I did bring a bike though as the bus lines around the air shows can be tedious. And the exercise was a great excuse to eat all that food.

Last edited:
Vintage looks like it's a little closer to the plaza and all that business.

But I like the sound of food.

Do a lot of people park their plane and camp elsewhere? Is that allowed? Do people camp crash other people?

I don't know anyone who has parked in the North 40 and camped elsewhere -- but I suppose it may happen?

Generally, having a feeling of "home base" is nice, and most people set their tent up next to their plane. If you get camped somewhere near a group you feel comfortable with, that's always good, too.

You are always welcome with our group. Every night, for seven nights, you will find an open chair, a cold beer, and a kindred spirit at our site, no questions asked. Do not, under ANY circumstances, feel like you don't belong, or you shouldn't intrude -- because we WANT you at our site.

And there are dozens of such sites in the North 40.

Oshkosh is the way the world is supposed to be. :)

I don't know anyone who has parked in the North 40 and camped elsewhere -- but I suppose it may happen?

Generally, having a feeling of "home base" is nice, and most people set their tent up next to their plane. If you get camped somewhere near a group you feel comfortable with, that's always good, too.

You are always welcome with our group. Every night, for seven nights, you will find an open chair, a cold beer, and a kindred spirit at our site, no questions asked. Do not, under ANY circumstances, feel like you don't belong, or you shouldn't intrude -- because we WANT you at our site.

And there are dozens of such sites in the North 40.

Oshkosh is the way the world is supposed to be. :)

Thanks.

If we're staggering around in the North 40 and see ya, we'll sure take you up on that. And you're sure welcome at ours anytime as well, although it's our first time camping and we don't know what the heck we're doing. :dunno:

All we should need is beer, a little food, and airplanes and I know we'll be just fine. We're stoked! It's been a long time since my son and I had an adventure just the two of us, and I think he's more anxious than I am. He can't wait to slip the surly bonds of earth away to anywhere from his wife and three kids for a week of manly fun. ;):)

If 3 days was all you could swing, and two being weekend days, would the camping veterans here recommend sat-sun-mon (knowing that camping is all i could do that first day) or fr-sat-sun at the end of the week?

If 3 days was all you could swing, and two being weekend days, would the camping veterans here recommend sat-sun-mon (knowing that camping is all i could do that first day) or fr-sat-sun at the end of the week?

If you want to see the neatest airplanes on static display, come early.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter other than slightly reduced crowds later in the week.

If you're interested in seeing the Thunderbirds' first OSH performance, plan on the last weekend. That Saturday is also one of the night airshows. That first Saturday, the grounds aren't even officially open, so that would really only be Sunday (which is just a setup day) and Monday, which gives the opening concert.

The FIRST? I must have misremembered them being at OSH twenty or thirty years ago.

Jim

Okay, maybe I needed some qualifiers...
EAA AVIATION CENTER, OSHKOSH, Wis. — (Dec. 5, 2013) — The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds has scheduled an appearance at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, August 2-3, 2014. EAA AirVenture 2014, the 62nd annual EAA fly-in convention, is scheduled for July 28-August 3 at Wittman Regional Airport in Oshkosh, Wis. The exact activities and schedule are still being finalized. It would mark the first time a U.S. military jet demonstration team would perform its full show in front of Oshkosh audiences. Advance AirVenture tickets are currently available online at www.airventure.org.

Okay, maybe I needed some qualifiers...

Yeah ... because I remember that the Angels were in there a couple of dozen years ago also. WHat is a "full performance" other than the whole team?

The BEST I was ever present for was the Canadian Snowbirds. THAT was a show to remember. The Talons were slow enough and noisy enough to do the whole show within a couple of miles of the airport. BEST military show I've ever seen. The USAF/USN would look well to their (slow) trainer aircraft if they really wanted to do a good show. The other shows are just to entice kids into enlisting into the military.

Jim

The FIRST? I must have misremembered them being at OSH twenty or thirty years ago.

First time the will do the regular airshow. The birds and the blues have done some demo fly bys over the years but they hadn't worked out the logistics to get the full show up. A few years ago we were told it was probably impossible, so much for that opinion.

The BEST I was ever present for was the Canadian Snowbirds. .

Agree. If the Snowbirds visit a show near you, plan on attending. They fly big formations and always keep the show in front of the crowd.

Agree. If the Snowbirds visit a show near you, plan on attending. They fly big formations and always keep the show in front of the crowd.
In '03 we went to Dayton, where we saw, in a single show, the Blue Angels, the Snowbirds, the Thunderbirds, and the Golden Knights. That was a show to remember!

l always wondered why Oshkosh never got the Golden Nights. You don't even need an airport. We had them drop in on the test range on the Armed Forces Day event at APG.

In '03 we went to Dayton, where we saw, in a single show, the Blue Angels, the Snowbirds, the Thunderbirds, and the Golden Knights. That was a show to remember!

The opening year of DIA was similar. Great shows by all.

The new DIA airspace and various management have been against ever doing something like that ever again here, since.

DIA was the reason for both the best, and the last "real" airshow in Denver. Irony.

I won't make it this year, but next year for sure. I just earned my PPL earlier this year after half a lifetime of putting it off. Next year I will turn 50 the day before Airventure opens, so I plan to arrive on my birthday for my first-ever flight into OSH :D

I have actually been many times before, but always by car. First year was 1970 when I was just 5. Camp Sholler did not exist back then. All of the drive-in camping was located at the east end of the north 40, between GA parking and warbirds. As this was the first year for the EAA convention at Oshkosh, everything was still a little rough. Much of the convention grounds had probably been cornfield the year before, so the ground was a little rocky. The campground crew very cleverly organized a contest for the kids to collect all of the loose rocks from the campground. Can't remember what the prize was - probably hard candy or something - but we kids picked up every loose rock and pebble we could find.

When we returned the next year I was disappointed that they didn't have another rock finding contest. I'm sure my parents explained that we had already picked up the all the rocks the year before, but I didn't understand why they couldn't just put out more rocks for us to find :lol:

Last edited:
I've been to OSH back when I was a kid… But this will be my first time flying to it (From Alaska).

Hi, first post here. I am intending to fly in to Oshkosh from Missouri. I am VFR only so am hoping for good weather.

Good luck. I've been to Oshkosh 23 times and I've only arrived IFR once (and even then I probably could have scud run in, I busted out on approach at about 1200 feet).

Hi, first post here. I am intending to fly in to Oshkosh from Missouri. I am VFR only so am hoping for good weather.
Be patient. I've flown into OSH many times, all VFR, and the weather in the upper Midwest can be volatile.

Sooner, rather than later, however, there will be a VFR window from MO to WI. It will be squeezed in between giant lines of thunderstorms, of course. lol

I will be flying in for the first time as well pending good weather. Sadly we only have Monday to be there so we are going up form C17 (Marion, Iowa) early Monday morning and leaving the plane at 79C (Brennand) for the night. I really hope we have good weather otherwise this is just one leg of our vacation which to drive it would mean about 30 round trip from the Wichita area (spending a few days in MN as well).

Where is the best place to setup a chair and watch arrivals on Sunday?

The thread drift brings up a question on my mind.

I need an alternate in case we get near KOSH but can't get in for weather or any other reason. We're coming from TX.

What town or city or hamlet would be good as an alternate with possibly an available hotel room in case of weather or OSH field shutdown? Somewhere South -SouthWest of KOSH.... :redface:

Back