OSH 2014 -- Who's In?

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
I can't believe we are nine weeks from AirVenture, and no one has started this thread? lol

This will be my 33rd year at OSH. As always, Mary and I will be hosting the HOPS party on Wednesday night. More on that later.

Who else is coming?

Planning on making the trek up there - we'll see if work cooperates or not.

On a side note, now that I live 1200 miles from OSH I am amazed at the number of pilots who have never made it to the big show. I met a guy just yesterday who has been flying for over 40 years, but has never made it.

That's just...wrong! ;)

hoping to stop by on way home from AK

If I go, I plan on arriving Wednesday evening/Thursday morning and leaving Friday evening/Saturday morning.

I will be coming up from Colorado Springs in my Gobosh 700. I will be flying in the Air Venture Cup race from Mitchell SD. If you haven't seen the race before, it is a cool way to start off the OSH week. Info at airventurecuprace.com. I have my fingers crossed that the weather will be as cool as last year and the non-airconditioned dorms will be nice and cool.

Carl

On a side note, now that I live 1200 miles from OSH I am amazed at the number of pilots who have never made it to the big show. I met a guy just yesterday who has been flying for over 40 years, but has never made it.

That's just...wrong! ;)

I went in 1980, long before I was a pilot and when it was far smaller than it is today. I hated crowds then and I still hate crowds. OSH included.

Have fun if that's your thing but no thanks (and I won't judge you if you don't judge me).

Spineless wankers aren't getting a dime from me. Hard to say which is worse now, AOPA or EAA.

This will be my third year. 2003ish as a kid, 2013 as a student pilot, and finally this year as a freshly minted Private Pilot! I bought my plane tickets two months ago. Going to be there from Saturday to Saturday.

This will be my third year. 2003ish as a kid, 2013 as a student pilot, and finally this year as a freshly minted Private Pilot! I bought my plane tickets two months ago. Going to be there from Saturday to Saturday.

Dude. A flight up from Lake Jackson would be awesome. We're doing it from Port Aranasas! Don't let the airline guys fly for you -- fly up yourself!

The FISK approach into OSH is simplicity itself. Follow the railroad tracks from Ripon to Oshkosh! It doesn't get easier than that!

Dude. A flight up from Lake Jackson would be awesome. We're doing it from Port Aranasas! Don't let the airline guys fly for you -- fly up yourself!

The FISK approach into OSH is simplicity itself. Follow the railroad tracks from Ripon to Oshkosh! It doesn't get easier than that!

I would love to fly up to OSH from here, but I don't have a plane of my own yet, and renting would be way to expensive for a trip like that. Hopefully I will be able to purchase one by the time July rolls around next year. I will be flying from here to St. Louis and then driving from there to OSH with my dad. (He has been going for years now, takes a camper up there).

This will be my first trip to KOSH. My son and I are going with an old friend who's been there ten times.

We plan to stay in VAC.

We'll leave 7/26 for a planned arrival that afternoon and have plans to stay all week. ~900nm, so it's going to be a fun but long day in the wagon ....

Last edited:
I'm driving with my son. Hotel us too far away as we are not campers. Will be there for two days.

I went in 1980, long before I was a pilot and when it was far smaller than it is today. I hated crowds then and I still hate crowds. OSH included.

Have fun if that's your thing but no thanks (and I won't judge you if you don't judge me).

We have a friend who despises -- actually fears -- crowds. His solution is to get up very early. He then tours the flight line, virtually alone, just him and 10,000+ airplanes.

He gets great photos that way, too.

I'm driving with my son. Hotel us too far away as we are not campers. Will be there for two days.

Don't discard camping. It's not like the olden days.

Nowadays we have queen-sized, inflatable beds with electric air pumps. Thanks to our trailer (that we keep in OSH year-round at a friend's farm) we have bikes, coffee makers, a microwave oven, screened-in tent, comfy chairs -- we are NOT "roughing it"! lol

I've stayed in Marriott's with worse amenities. :)

On some level I enjoy airshows, because I love aviation. That said, I also find them boring. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm not participating? It's like going to a golf tournament and just watching, it's enjoyable because I like golf, but it's also annoying because I'd rather be playing than just being a spectator. I have to be in the right mood for big crowds too.

On some level I enjoy airshows, because I love aviation. That said, I also find them boring. Maybe it's because I feel like I'm not participating? It's like going to a golf tournament and just watching, it's enjoyable because I like golf, but it's also annoying because I'd rather be playing than just being a spectator. I have to be in the right mood for big crowds too.

I agree. Luckily, Oshkosh isn't an airshow.

If it were, I would never have gone back 30+ times.

This will be my first OSH. A friend from Australia is flying up, and we'll fly in a 172 to ATW.

What's a typical day consist of at Oshkosh?

You can't look at a typical day -- OSH must be viewed in the context of a full week. There is no way to see OSH in a day, or even two.

Therefore, we always go for the full week, and over the last three decades have developed a very logical, systematic way of seeing the convention.

First, this is usually our main vacation each year, so we are not in a hurry. Mornings consist of coffee at the site, followed by showers, followed by an easy bike ride to Le Seur's or the Hilton for a hearty breakfast. (These are restaurants just off the edge of the North 40 camping area.)

We aim to be on the grounds by 11 or noon. We may have ice cream on the grounds, but otherwise we mostly eat off-site.

Day One is always an overview of the grounds, consisting of a walkthrough to note any changes, and to see the "absolutes" -- the brown arch, the big bomb (pix of the kids going back 20 years), and to buy the yearly patch and the pin.

We do these things first, in case we get called back home for an emergency. The patch, pin, and photos are a must!

An overview takes until 5 PMish, during which we pay some casual attention to the daily airshow. It's then back to the site for beers with our usual gang, whilst watching the REAL airshow -- arrivals and departures. We often pull our chairs up to the rope along Rwy 27, and greatly enjoy the excitement of watching dozens of airplanes landing/departing.

When the airspace is closed, we toddle off for dinner, and more beers. The first night is ALWAYS at Friar Tuck's. We are usually in bed by 11 PM.

Expect to walk 3 to 6 miles per DAY. Take shuttles as often as possible. Alternate two different pairs of comfy shoes, every other day.

Read the daily EAA newspaper to see the forum schedule. There are hundreds, so you have to carefully pick and choose, or you could spend the entire week doing but forums!

Day 2 starts to get serious. We are usually shopping for something specific, so it's into the mammoth display buildings, seeing, touching, and learning things that normally you can only see in pictures. Last year it was an O2 system and glass cockpits.

Everything starts to blur by Day 3. Grant's party in Camp Scholler is Tuesday night, while our HOPS Party is Wednesday night. Friday night is (usually) the big fish fry at the Seaplane Base, although they effed up and didn't have that last year, for the first time EVER, so don't quote me on that one.

In between, another "must" is to eat lake perch at the Charcoal Pit. It is amazing. We try to avoid their karaoke.

If it sounds like OSH revolves around food and drink, well, it does. We have been meeting the same folks there for decades, now, and we all look forward to the rituals!

Day Three is Warbirds.

Day Four is Vintage.

Day Five is Ultralights and rotorcraft. And the Fly Market.

Every day is homebuilts, with an emphasis (for us) on RVs. We must walk through this area to get back to the North 40, so we see a little of it daily.

Any day, we might check out the museum, if it's hot or rainy.

Day 6 we go back and see stuff we hit too quickly.

Day 7 will be a last walkthrough of the big buildings. Sometimes the vendors start to get a little desperate, and start discounting a bit!

By then, we are usually wiped, and spend more of the day at the site with friends, realizing that it's all coming to an end for another year. This becomes more difficult with each passing year.

Oshkosh is the best place in the world. God, I can't wait! :)

You can't look at a typical day -- OSH must be viewed in the context of a full week. There is no way to see OSH in a day, or even two.

Therefore, we always go for the full week, and over the last three decades have developed a very logical, systematic way of seeing the convention.

First, this is usually our main vacation each year, so we are not in a hurry. Mornings consist of coffee at the site, followed by showers, followed by an easy bike ride to Le Seur's or the Hilton for a hearty breakfast. (These are restaurants just off the edge of the North 40 camping area.)

We aim to be on the grounds by 11 or noon. We may have ice cream on the grounds, but otherwise we mostly eat off-site.

Day One is always an overview of the grounds, consisting of a walkthrough to note any changes, and to see the "absolutes" -- the brown arch, the big bomb (pix of the kids going back 20 years), and to buy the yearly patch and the pin.

We do these things first, in case we get called back home for an emergency. The patch, pin, and photos are a must!

An overview takes until 5 PMish, during which we pay some casual attention to the daily airshow. It's then back to the site for beers with our usual gang, whilst watching the REAL airshow -- arrivals and departures. We often pull our chairs up to the rope along Rwy 27, and greatly enjoy the excitement of watching dozens of airplanes landing/departing.

When the airspace is closed, we toddle off for dinner, and more beers. The first night is ALWAYS at Friar Tuck's. We are usually in bed by 11 PM.

Expect to walk 3 to 6 miles per DAY. Take shuttles as often as possible. Alternate two different pairs of comfy shoes, every other day.

Read the daily EAA newspaper to see the forum schedule. There are hundreds, so you have to carefully pick and choose, or you could spend the entire week doing but forums!

Day 2 starts to get serious. We are usually shopping for something specific, so it's into the mammoth display buildings, seeing, touching, and learning things that normally you can only see in pictures. Last year it was an O2 system and glass cockpits.

Everything starts to blur by Day 3. Grant's party in Camp Scholler is Tuesday night, while our HOPS Party is Wednesday night. Friday night is (usually) the big fish fry at the Seaplane Base, although they effed up and didn't have that last year, for the first time EVER, so don't quote me on that one.

In between, another "must" is to eat lake perch at the Charcoal Pit. It is amazing. We try to avoid their karaoke.

If it sounds like OSH revolves around food and drink, well, it does. We have been meeting the same folks there for decades, now, and we all look forward to the rituals!

Day Three is Warbirds.

Day Four is Vintage.

Day Five is Ultralights and rotorcraft. And the Fly Market.

Every day is homebuilts, with an emphasis (for us) on RVs. We must walk through this area to get back to the North 40, so we see a little of it daily.

Any day, we might check out the museum, if it's hot or rainy.

Day 6 we go back and see stuff we hit too quickly.

Day 7 will be a last walkthrough of the big buildings. Sometimes the vendors start to get a little desperate, and start discounting a bit!

By then, we are usually wiped, and spend more of the day at the site with friends, realizing that it's all coming to an end for another year. This becomes more difficult with each passing year.

Oshkosh is the best place in the world. God, I can't wait! :)

There is also a truck stop diner nearby that makes awsome breakfast for cheap and usually bigger than you can eat.

Flying from Australia?!?!?!
wow!
That's impressive!
:goofy:

Yeah, he was just up here. He owns a Cirrus in Oz, and is going halfsies on a sweet Baron down in Oz. I head down there in November, and I'll be doing a little Cirrus flying down there too, plus some time in a B744 sim as well :)

I plan to be there. Flying in from the Dallas/Fort Worth area, camping on field for the week in the North 40. Bringing a friend (and his plane) who has NEVER been. ;-)

I'm in! I've already reserved my rental although I may pull the trigger on a plane before then...:D in which case I will take my own plane. I'm planning on camping the whole week there.

Is the North 40 where the vintage airplane (VAC) camping is?

We have our tickets.

Is there more I need to do (pay) to camp?

Is the North 40 where the vintage airplane (VAC) camping is?

We have our tickets.

Is there more I need to do (pay) to camp?

Vintage has its own camping area. It's about a mile from the North 40.

That sounds like a lot, but you'll get used to walking/taking shuttles miles. :)

Camping is (x) amount extra per day. I can't remember how much, but it's not terrible. You buy the whole week when you set up, and EAA will refund you any unused days if you leave before the end of the week.

I will be there right after the Lions beat the Browns in the Super Bowl.

Remember, last day for discounted / advance purchase tickets for Airventure is coming up fast: June 15th!

I'll be there with the BOSC ( Formerly the Women Fly/Lost Squadron group ). We will be in the group section over near the Hilton.

I will be there right after the Lions beat the Browns in the Super Bowl.

That's funny. Unfortunately as a life-long Browns fan, I have to agree with you. I can see us in the play-offs in a few years, but the big game is too much to hope for.

Back