Original equipment and serial number

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
I would like to add a Century I autopilot to my 1970 Cherokee 140C. That's the one with the turn and bank indicator. The Century I is included in the parts manual for my Cherokee but was installed in the subsequent series of serial numbers. Can I install this in my Cherokee (with just a log entry) since it was original equipment for the Cherokee 140 or does it not qualify since it wasn't originally installed on my serial range?

If you are dead set on this just call Century and get the whole kit and the STC data package.

I appreciate the advice but I already had a nice conversation with Century about this. The nice lady told me the kit with the STC was $8795.00. Seems a little high for a very simple system. But the really nice part was when I asked her what if I just need the turn and bank instrument? $8795.00. What about just a servo? $8795.00. Mounting screw? $8795.00. I would only do this if it's cost effective. At the price quoted, it would make sense to wait for the upcoming TruTrak. In the meantime, I think I'll explore the used market for a Century I.
Thanks,
Hish

Last edited:
Exactly, as I wrote above. We must've been editing at the same time.

I would like to add a Century I autopilot to my 1970 Cherokee 140C. That's the one with the turn and bank indicator. The Century I is included in the parts manual for my Cherokee but was installed in the subsequent series of serial numbers. Can I install this in my Cherokee (with just a log entry) since it was original equipment for the Cherokee 140 or does it not qualify since it wasn't originally installed on my serial range?

This might be helpful for you.

http://piperowner.org/columns/everything-you-need-to-know-about-piper-legacy/#

Back