Organized Alaska group flying

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Does anyone know of any organized group flying expeditions to Alaska where you fly your own plane? We plan to make or first trip to Alaska this year and thought it would be fun and safer if we could join up with others.

If no groups, is anyone else interested in joining us in flying our planes to Alaska? We plan to take about 3 weeks, but about half of that will be getting there and back from Florida.

There used to be a group that organized such group flights. I think it was "I fly Alaska", but I don't think they are still in operation.

I'm planning on Alaska in June and August, in my new 182. Starting to work on the planning! What are you flying?

I'm planning on Alaska in June and August, in my new 182. Starting to work on the planning! What are you flying?
'67 Bonanza V35
We generally cruise at around 160 kts, but I'm told that Alaska involves a lot of low and slow, VFR flying.

Are you planning two trips, or one trip somewhere around June through August? We are pretty flexible on time.
Where would you be starting from?

'67 Bonanza V35
We generally cruise at around 160 kts, but I'm told that Alaska involves a lot of low and slow, VFR flying.

Are you planning two trips, or one trip somewhere around June through August? We are pretty flexible on time.

Low & slow? You might want to leave the Bo behind and get a Cirrus. They do pretty good flying slow from what I’ve seen.

'67 Bonanza V35

I'm planning to fly out-bound, and around Alaska a bit, in June. Then leave the airplane hangared for a month while I go back to Iraq for work, before returning to do another month of a bit more Alaska, and back through Canada. I'd be going to/from Pittsburgh.

There used to be a gentleman who did organized tours. During the last trip he guided he flew his baron into the side of a hill while 'scouting for a hole in the weather'.

Worst I saw on my trip to Alaska was 800 Few between Tok and Whitehorse. The 800 Few were on the hill tops either side of the Al-Can Highway. It was 1200 Few over the Highway. But still 30nm plus visibility. I got into Whitehorse and there was a plane getting ready to leave heading east. They were stuck there all day waiting for the weather to clear going to Watson Lake.

I told them when I left Tok, Whitehorse was just beginning to clear. They said yes it did not get good until about noon.

I’ve thought of putting a group together to lead from here to Alaska. Something for retirement planning.

I’ve thought of putting a group together to lead from here to Alaska. Something for retirement planning.
Do you think you can pull this together by around June?

I see you have a ‘we’ in the plan. I’d almost rather just go as a single ship. You can adjust your trip as desired, not worry about keeping a group on the same schedule. There should be a handful of flyers at the Al-Can airports you can socialize some with.

I’d just set your schedule, then offer up that you will be going, maybe a few can meet at some point along the venture.

I’ve done the trip in June,just get the chart for the Alcan Highway. A few stops in Canada and your all set. If you should choose that route.

I see you have a ‘we’ in the plan. I’d almost rather just go as a single ship. You can adjust your trip as desired, not worry about keeping a group on the same schedule. There should be a handful of flyers at the Al-Can airports you can socialize some with.

I’d just set your schedule, then offer up that you will be going, maybe a few can meet at some point along the venture.
For 99% of our trips, I agree with that, and I suspect that we (Leslie (my wife, the pilot) and I)) will do just that. But looking at how desolate the area on the way to Alaska can be, we would like to have a traveling partner in another plane, at least for our first trip up there.

But it looks like we will be taking your advice. We already have plans to meet up with a couple of people at different places and times, if things work out. One of them is a POAer.

We're planning our Alaska trip for May 2019. We will commercial air into Fairbanks and then drive/ferry the loop through Vadiz, Anchorage, and catch a flight around Denali from Talkeetna then back to Fairbanks. We want to drive to see the sites.

Anyone know the requirements or where to find them on flying through Canada?

Anyone know the requirements or where to find them on flying through Canada?

The AOPA site should have info, don’t know if membership is required to view. You normally need a Customs sticker for your plane, may take a while to receive so apply early. I say normally, last time I went without one, but did have my receipt and talked to the border crossing ahead of time. The eapis can be a pain for the casual user.

The AOPA site should have info, don’t know if membership is required to view. You normally need a Customs sticker for your plane, may take a while to receive so apply early. I say normally, last time I went without one, but did have my receipt and talked to the border crossing ahead of time. The eapis can be a pain for the casual user.
I filled out an application for renewal of my CBP decal about two weeks ago, and I got it in the mail within 5 business days.

I have not checked lately.
FCC radiotelephone operators certificate. Never asked for, but is listed as required.
FCC aircraft radio station license.
CBP sticker mentioned earlier.
US Passport, full passport, not the card.
Learn how to do the online notifications for aircraft border crossings, both outbound and coming home.
Includes online information on all passengers and their passport information. eAPIS?

I remember coming back into US, you need a descrete squawk. Got mine through FSS before reaching the border north of Cut Bank MT. Need to call ahead to confirm your boarder crossing time and that CBP can meet the airplane.

When are you going? Are you flying all the way from Florida?

When are you going? Are you flying all the way from Florida?
Yes, we are flying the Bo V35 from Ormond Beach, Florida to Anchorage. We will base in Anchorage for about a week as we take day trips, and maybe a few over night trips around the State.
We plan to leave Florida on Saturday, June 2 and take about 3 weeks for the trip. We figure about 4 days flying to get there, flying about 6 hours per day with one fuel/bathroom stop each day. If all goes right.

Leslie is doing a lot of the planning and has checklists for everything from AAA trip tix to survival gear. We have been to Canada before so we are familiar with CBP and their protocols.

I'm just hoping we leave Murphy behind, but I think Leslie has a checklist for dealing with him too.

BTW, if you aren't aware, Leslie is the PIC in the family.

Hi John,

It would be awesome if you could share your experience (and pictures :)). We have Alaska on our bucket list too and may fly the Mooney there later this year. :cool: June is too early for us though.

Have fun planning your trip. We started doing so and are very excited.

Martina

Coming from the east, there are three routes
Flatland, flatland, mountains, more flatland
Flatland, mountains, mountains, and more mountains
Flatland, mountains, water water and more water

Attachments

• P1010027.JPG
    P1010027.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 13
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010018.JPG
    P1010018.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Anchorage is great. Merrill Field, I found an FBO there that had rooms over the hangars. Day trip down to Homer for some fishing. Fly up to Talketna and take a walk into town for the shops and eats. Also Talketna is the base for the single engine Otters on skis that land on the Glaciers. Flew through Denali into Fairbanks for the night before heading back home.

Whitehorse, spend an extra day and take the train down to Skagway.

Coming from the east, there are three routes
Flatland, flatland, mountains, more flatland
Flatland, mountains, mountains, and more mountains
Flatland, mountains, water water and more water
Great pictures, I never got that high in the T-41B, followed the Al-Can Hwy and was looking up at the tall peaks.

Great pictures, I never got that high in the T-41B, followed the Al-Can Hwy and was looking up at the tall peaks.
Most flatlanders will cross Into Canada at/near Winnipeg, then follow the highway C-16 to Edmonton, then Ft.St.John, Ft. Nelson, Watson Lake, White horse and Tok

Most flatlanders will cross Into Canada at/near Winnipeg, then follow the highway C-16 to Edmonton, then Ft.St.John, Ft. Nelson, Watson Lake, White horse and Tok
I went north thru Abbosford, then Hope, Williams Lake, Prince George, Ft Nelson and then Watson Lake and the Al-Can to Northway AK for customs, then Anchorage.

Came back to Ft Nelson then towards Edmonton and Cut Bank MT for customs. Billings, Salt Lake and home.

Stayed out of the ditch, desolate, and there were fires in there when I came back.

I went north thru Abbosford, then Hope, Williams Lake, Prince George, Ft Nelson and then Watson Lake and the Al-Can to Northway AK for customs, then Anchorage.

Came back to Ft Nelson then towards Edmonton and Cut Bank MT for customs. Billings, Salt Lake and home.

Stayed out of the ditch, desolate, and there were fires in there when I came back.
Central BC is a very popular way to go.
When you have good weather Smithers to Whatson Lake is a good way too. (Follow the Casiar Highway)

Fairbanks has (or used to have) campgrounds with plane tiedown, firepit and tables. They also have a shower.

One consideration about "group flying". Airplanes with different speeds sometimes don't fly well "together". It can be done. Let the slower planes leave earlier. Have the fast planes slow down. There is also a 6difference in endurance. I think the furthest we saw between fuel stops was 260 nm.

Last edited:
Back