Oregon Requires Pilot Registration?

For me the question is not would Wyoming take us . but why would i want Wyoming, or either Dakota. been there , done that, a miserable place for me. Dave

That is a understatement...

Wyoming is.
1- Cold as heck
2- windy
3- miserable
4- full of indians
5- full of bears
6- full of wolves
7- has bugs the size of volkswagons
8- gonna blow up when yellowstone goes off.
and a long list of other 'less then desireable' quirks..

I urge EVERYONE to stay away and never think of moving there.
:D:D:D:cool2:

Ben.

But the reservoirs should be closed to seaplanes individually in accordance with said owner's wishes, not blanket-closed by the state. Most states allow water landings on any body of water except those where it's specifically forbidden, and the Seaplane Pilots Association keeps a Water Landing Directory so that you can tell which ones to avoid.

True, but that should be up to the pilot, not the state.

Sounds like you know enough about it to know the political power the water users and water provider have. Rafters and fisherfolks have been fighting for years. When I was on the CPA board we worked with the State to open Jackson Reservior. Parties agreed but politics built walls we could climb. I hope it eventually changes. There are a few amphibs around. My mechanic takes care of a beautiful 185 on floats.

Wyoming is.
1- Cold as heck
2- windy
3- miserable
4- full of indians
5- full of bears
6- full of wolves

Ben.

I'm thinkin' ya missed the required emphasis on WINDY :hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

And while Wyoming does have suitable accomodations for survival, namely beer and steak, it does lack in available female companionship of the human species variety (however sheep and goats are widely available:eek:). Anyway, long story made short, don't worry, most folks will never consider moving there.

I'm thinkin' ya missed the required emphasis on WINDY :hairraise: :hairraise: :hairraise:

wyoming_windsock.jpg
wyoming_windsock.jpg

Hey guys, go easy on WY. I've spent plenty of time in this great state and even learned to fly there. Outer staters, especially the Greenies from the south, don't get it, which makes it an even greater place to be.

With the advent of the ELT upgrades you won't be doing much of that anymore. and the state dictates who can search and who can't, and who gets paid and who don't. try searching on your own and see if you get any money for it.

I'll stand by my statements that most of the money paid to the state is wasted in the bureaucracy.

I doubt that things have changed very much over the years. Back in the day, we had to apply for pilot or observer cards and could not be assigned to a mission without a card. No one in charge of a search would ever permit anyone to just participate on their own, because search areas have to be designated, time in and time out reported, etc to avoid adding more crumpled aluminum to the mix.

Bob

And while Wyoming does have suitable accomodations for survival, namely beer and steak, it does lack in available female companionship of the human species variety (however sheep and goats are widely available:eek:). Anyway, long story made short, don't worry, most folks will never consider moving there.

When I lived in Colorado we'd often take I-80 across Wyoming to get to California or Washington. Always had a head wind. I swear, I could exit, cross and return the other way and still have a head wind. But the one time I flew out of JAC I don't recall it being so bad. Maybe the mountains blocked the wind?

The real WY winds head towards Cheyenne (where I learned to fly) from the west. Occassionally you would hear ATC telling incoming aircraft heading in from the east to keep their speed up due to incoming ANG C-130s or other fast military aircraft. A few times I heard a response similar to "we're trying but it's difficult to maintain a positive ground speed!".

Once when ATC announced to an approaching aircraft "winds are calm" the pilot responded by saying "This is Cheyenne right?"

Good times.

The real WY winds head towards Cheyenne (where I learned to fly) from the west.
I agree that the southern half of WY tends to be windier than the northern half.

Wyoming is.
1- Cold as heck
I was born and raised in Minnesota. So far sounds good.
I've no more hair left to muss - still looking good (me and Wyoming, that is. :wink2:)
3- miserable
Miserable people stay indoors, making it easier to avoid them. So that's a plus.
4- full of indians
Worked with quite a few in silicon valley; great people - no matter what part of India they are from. :wink2:
5- full of bears
Just need to keep the garbage away from them. More people die from dog attacks.
6- full of wolves
In the last 100 years covering all of North America maybe 3 people have died from wolf attacks - allegedly all from contracting rabies.
I grew up in Minnesota, land of 1,000,000 mosquito breeding ponds. Sounds like they're big enough there to at least make good hunting.
Always enjoyed a good fireworks show.

Ben.
If'n you don't want strangers coming in, ya gotta stop advertising all the great high points! :cheerswine:

Say on topic, gas taxes pay for roads, and such, aviation taxes no matter what you call them give you nothing.
For years i rode dirt bikes and paid ORV fees. those fees are not used of ORV parks either.Plus I was paying road tax on the gas & not riding on the roads. It seems like you think that aviation taxes should only be used for aviation.. Nice sentiment but not realistic. Does all of your aviation income go to back into the pursuit of aviation? Or do you use some aviation income for silly Non-aviation things like food & shelter? Most people i know pool all their income then pay all the bills from the general fund Why do you think the government should operate any different ? Dave

For years i rode dirt bikes and paid ORV fees. those fees are not used of ORV parks either.Plus I was paying road tax on the gas & not riding on the roads. It seems like you think that aviation taxes should only be used for aviation.. Nice sentiment but not realistic. Does all of your aviation income go to back into the pursuit of aviation? Or do you use some aviation income for silly Non-aviation things like food & shelter? Most people i know pool all their income then pay all the bills from the general fund Why do you think the government should operate any different ? Dave

hat method of thinking only works in King and Pierce counties, and has gotten this state how far in debt?

Your ORV taxes should have gone into a fund for that purpose, as should the gas tax, OBTW you can file for return the road tax you paid on gas that was not used on the highway.

But any taxes you pay to this state goes into the general fund to support King and Pierce county social programs, Because if they didn't those two counties would go Republican and democrats would get the boot.

that isn't political, it's a fact.

that method of thinking only works in King and Pierce counties, and has gotten this state how far in debt?

But any taxes you pay to this state goes into the general fund to support King and Pierce county social programs,
that isn't political, it's a fact.
Since MORE People live in King & Pierce than any other area that seems normal that most of the people & most of the taxpayers receive most of the benefits.. My taxes are also paying 98% of Didiers water bill.(he is in eastern Wa) West side taxes also pay for the Only free ferry in the system and it is in eastern Wa. In debt? time to RAISE taxes... That should boost the economy since ALL the times in the past of economic boom had far higher taxes than now. By the way can you name any "social programs " that are exclusive to king & pierce ? I believe they are all statewide programs .Dave .... NOW we are beginning to have thread creep.

Since MORE People live in King & Pierce than any other area that seems normal that most of the people & most of the taxpayers receive most of the benefits.. My taxes are also paying 98% of Didiers water bill.(he is in eastern Wa) West side taxes also pay for the Only free ferry in the system and it is in eastern Wa. In debt? time to RAISE taxes... That should boost the economy since ALL the times in the past of economic boom had far higher taxes than now. By the way can you name any "social programs " that are exclusive to king & pierce ? I believe they are all statewide programs .Dave

Can you visualize what is going to happen when the gov. cuts those social programs? the larger vote will change its mind.

remember the largest industrial employer in the state changed its head quarters because of the tax system in this state.

Gregoire will cut the budget she'll cut her own political throat.

Tom,you mentioned the common ground. Bureaucratic waste . Cut the waste,fraud, graft & corporate welfare and we could care for the more vulnerable and provide good jobs for many more keeping the infrastructure in top condition. which is what we want taxes to pay for . A world class environment for employer & employee alike. . We would both be happy. Dave

Wyoming is.
1- Cold as heck
2- windy
3- miserable
4- full of indians
5- full of bears
6- full of wolves

Ben.

Dang it Ben, you're ruining my plan to convince folks to move to your fine and wonderful State and never even think of coming to this AWFUL place where we can't even land seaplanes!

(Psst, want some Californians? They drive REALLY WELL in the snow. I promise.)

The real WY winds head towards Cheyenne (where I learned to fly) from the west. Occassionally you would hear ATC telling incoming aircraft heading in from the east to keep their speed up due to incoming ANG C-130s or other fast military aircraft. A few times I heard a response similar to "we're trying but it's difficult to maintain a positive ground speed!".

Those ANG C-130's land on the taxiway to the left of of 27 too. They have special dispensation for practicing their much-needed short-field (and narrow runway) skills.

http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/CYS/APD/AIRPORT+DIAGRAM/png/1

There used to be a metal hexagon-shaped RADAR target right next to the southeast corner of the taxiway that they used for doing their own do-it-yourself approaches using on-board RADAR in the aircraft. I guess all ya need is someone to plop down a big hunk of metal for a properly-equipped C-130, and they make their own instrument approaches. ;)

Once when ATC announced to an approaching aircraft "winds are calm" the pilot responded by saying "This is Cheyenne right?"

Good times.

Oh yeah. I remember my first 25G30 takeoff was at KCYS... straight down 27.

It wasn't all that hard to remember which way to hold the controls while taxiing, since the aircraft would visibly lift or lower a wing and the tail, depending on what you did... luckily I had them all correct! ;)

And it was harder to taxi than it was to take off that day to head back to KEIK which is where I was based back then.

The logbook entry reads something like "270 @ 25G30!!!!" including the exclamation marks.

Rocky Mtn Airways used to fly DEN-RIW-COD as a standing overnighter... in the Beech 1900. Such fun to get 4 hours of sleep and turn-around the next morning before dawn at well below zero. Or so I've heard. :)

http://navmonster.com/map/KDEN-RIW-KCOD-10

I always try to think fondly of those poor Mesa & Great Lakes guys who are probably still doing that today. Not in the 1900, but still...

And if you like cheese with your commercial aviation... Wyoming has this website...

http://www.flywyoming.org/

I love the goofy flash animated opening. :thumbsup:

I always try to think fondly of those poor Mesa & Great Lakes guys who are probably still doing that today. Not in the 1900, but still...

Great Lakes still flies 1900's... Vast majority of their fleet is still 1900's. :yes:

Surprisingly NY has none, but when I was in VA it did. I think they did it more to enforce the sales tax/airplane/property tax. I am glad I got out of there. Nonsense if you ask me.

State of Mich.
Penny a pound on gross weight so my Cherokee costs $24 per year registration. Nothing on the pilot.
New Federal regs will now change ,no more register once per owner on the plane. Want to know where all planes are and who they belong to.
Why couldn't the State just send them their yearly reg.data and not duplicate what's already been done.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's illegal for the states to register aircraft when the Federal government does so as well. Something about Federal law superseding state law.

Back