ORD remains the worst

They aren't going to let you get any closer than that below 10,000 if you are IFR. I've asked to cut the corner before and the contro
I once filed above 10k and the routing had me turning nearly DBQ instead of RFD.

KELSI was mentioned by several posters as waypoint for an IFR route. It appears to be >30 miles southwest of the Bravo. Way the heck out there. Just wondering: where are you coming from and where are you going?
Literally any trip from il-wi or vice-versa. Actually I don't think I've ever gotten KELSI. Usually START or SHOOF.

KELSI is what I get coming up from the SE going anywhere through Chicagoland (notably Oshkosh). Your other option is out in the middle of Lake Michigan.

If the weather is nice, I just file to GYY and cancel and go up the lakeshore.

Oddly, other than being inflexible with IFR routes and VFR into the class B, I've never had a problem getting radar service from them while either going up the lakeshore, over the top, or noodling around the west side of the Class B

Going from Wisconsin to lower Michigan, IFR, I always got KELSI, KNOX PEOTONE. Once in a while they let me cut the corners a bit, but they really want you far away from Chicago.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience with C90. Have you all tried putting “I love ATC” in the remarks a la Opposing Bases?
Ok guys next time we fly Chicago and are switching frequencies, let’s say Good morning amazing Chicago first and see if that brightens up the route.

Most Chicagoans don't eat deep dish. Famous for it, but all aware it sucks. Chicago style thin crust what most of us order.

Lately been ordering a double decker. Trying to cultivate mass apparently.

Ok I'm legit addicted to Lou malnati's deep dish pizza. I live in S IL where we don't have it. I must not know what I don't know. lol

Deep dish is awesome and I'm from Chicago.

I've always had nice service from C90. The one time I didn't, I was doing the shore line back up to Milwaukee and they dumped me right as I was entering UGN tower class D. Thanks for helping me bust airspace buddy.

I ordered a "Chicago Style" hot dog from a food truck. They asked if I wanted the little peppers on it. I replied that was what I thought made it Chicago Style.

OK, what language do you make the sign???? It IS an INTERNATIONAL airport.

The folks yell at you in their version of English, so I'd make the signs in English. With arrows pointing in the direction the text says to go.

We've been flying from NE Ohio to SQI (Sw of RFD) for almost 15 years...mom is there. The only time (singular) we haven't been sent to KELSI was when we went VFR for some reason. That wouldn't be bad if they'd let us turn NW up to TRIDE like flight planned, but they insist on vectoring us due West, and usually forgetting us. Anywhere from 5k-10k, doesn't matter....

Jim

The most unwelcoming airspace. Chicago.
Now if you aren’t flying inbound and driving in or picking up a passenger, it’s some south Chicago folk shouting at you that they are going to arrest you and impound your vehicle and you really are just trying to look for your friend.

Or you are in the airport and they are shouting wait here oh no not there but here hey the door will hit you hey we gotta set up hey you too early. Hey go to this security line...And people do this **** for a living? God bless them.
ORD vehicular traffic at departure terminals outside is the same deal. I was there for my daughter this past Sat at departures and the numbskull traffic management lady started writing a ticket seconds after pulling up to drop off screaming "You ain't fast enough.Tough luck!". Welcome to S--tcago indeed.

No, but the ATTITTUDE of C90 (WTH is a flivver doing in my turbojet airspace) still persists. And I still negotiate "direct by flying the 37 DME arc from 1C5 to UGN, climbing until they realize, hey, "he's going to set off the Resolution advisories at Benke! (outside the bravo)" Then they give me direct.

I pay taxes too.
I luv the local knowledge that enables you to often get what you want through the Bravo. While definitely not as egregious as in Chicago, when approaching NY from the south IFR, I will get very a premature descent and skirt around the west. When conditions are actually VMC, I will often cancel and stay high or climb to 500 ft above the Bravo direct to destination DXR or via overhead JFK. There is enough transitioning and departing and climbing aircraft near that altitude that I’ll get cleared direct through the Bravo at some point close to my desired descent point. The controllers seem very amiable to stuff like that.

I will say that flying an airliner in and out of ORD is a relatively pleasant experience, at least compared to EWR. Ground can be intimidating at first, but once you get the method to their madness it isn't that bad. They also don't shut the entire airspace down because of a cloud over Scranton.

I dunno, I haven't flown that much in the area, but after always reading the horror stories, I've been pleasantly surprised. I've flown VFR up and down the shoreline a few times, always with flight following, and they've been very pleasant. And last time I flew to OSH, a few years ago, coming from NY VFR, I opted to not do the shoreline and instead planned to go south and west, and got cleared into the bravo northbound somewhere around Joliet without even asking.

@BrianR what type of plane were you flying and what time of day? Just curious.
That trip was in a DA40, and IIRC, it was late afternoon/early evening. I don't recall my altitude, but it was likely 6500 or 8500 headed west. They did ask a couple questions about my destination (KUES) and proposed heading before issuing the bravo clearance, but they couldn't have been nicer. On the return trip a few days later, I got the usual, "Remain clear of the class bravo," but I got to talk to Mrs. 310 Pilot, who was working one of the west sectors when I came through! :)

Mrs310 pilot was always bonus content on an already fun vlog. Bummed they sold their plane.

Local guy living the dream I can't see pulling off. Ehhhh.

C90 controllers have never been rude to me and helped many times (and I've heard them help 2 lost pilots, 1 was definitely a student).

I've never been inside the Bravo, though (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). But being based around the Bravo it hasn't been that difficult to route around.

At 1C2 (previously straight East of KJOT) I'd fly South (SW or SE). PWK I flew north. 3CK I'd generally head N or West. Now at 06C anywhere to the West of ORD is easy, but with the new control tower at Lewis W and NW are less congested and easier.

My flying has never been inconvenienced by skipping a Bravo clearance.

I can see how "real" pilots who are traveling would see it that way though. With kids that's probably not me for a while. I just am grateful to putz around an hour or so when I can.

Finally have the money to fly. No time.

Back