Orbiting downtown Chicago

GreatLakesFlying

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Leo
Last Sunday, I took a dear old friend flying with me. It was a beautiful day. A bit bumpy but beautiful. We departed 06C, transitioned KPWK, and followed the shoreline to the south. My "standard" skyline route is to turn west over Monroe harbor and take I-290 back to 06C. This time, I did something different: I went around downtown, full circle.

Here's a 2-minute video from the downtown segment of the flight. Ignore the typo about Goose Island to the "left". It's to the right.

After circling downtown, we flew to Hyde Park, then turned towards Monroe harbor, and took I-290 to DuPage. We circled FermiLab, and did a full stop at KDPA before returning to 06C.

When we landed, I mentioned to my friend that we have reached new heights together. He remarked that after two hours of flight we weren't even half-way up to the altitude of our old lab at Colorado State University, in Fort Collins. And that was in the basement of the engineering building!

Last edited:
If measuring from the center of the earth, (and possibly even lowest dry point) you were well past half way.

Back