Oral Exam Gotchas

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
As my IFR checkride approaches I stress more about the oral testing than the flying. I feel like I am well prepared but am curious if anyone remembers some questions you were asked that tripped you up? I studied all sorts of material from the ground school I took, online studying I did, and some online content I have found both via youtube and other published sources. Fire away!

Not a specific question (my IR oral is in the future) but in general, answer the question they ask and shut up. "Do you have a pencil?" Wrong: "I have a pen and a mechanical pencil,, #2 but I like #4 better. I also have magic markers and sharpies...." Right: "Yes."

Not a specific question (my IR oral is in the future) but in general, answer the question they ask and shut up. "Do you have a pencil?" Wrong: "I have a pen and a mechanical pencil,, #2 but I like #4 better. I also have magic markers and sharpies...." Right: "Yes."
Yea I've gotten the tips and tricks down pat, looking more at content. Thanks for the advice though.

Review of the ACS will help you. That's their "script" of the questions they would ask.

My exam was very much a discussion from a practical standpoint. Emphasizing the items I should know in order to fly IFR safely. The areas my oral that got me a little tongue tied was lost comm items, a few of the "what do you need to see in order to legally land" items, and a proper explanation of the pitot-static system, what it controls, failure modes, and what you're allowed to do when it goes tango uniform....

Another area that we spent time on was GPS systems and specifically the one in my airplane. He wanted to make sure that I knew what I needed to know to load/activate departures, arrivals, and approaches. Then he stumped me with the question of what criteria causes the system to switch from ENR (enroute) to TERM to APPR.

Other general items to be ready for will be weather review (what products for what needs, and be ready to explain how that image/product is valid or not for your flight), chart symbology and application, reading IAP's, flight planning, would you select an alternate or not and why plus why the alternate airport is valid for selection.

Reviewing the ACS will also show you areas that are called out as "special emphasis". These are topics he must ask you about such as ice. Be ready to know those.

If you don't know something, admit it, and share how you would find the solve the question if it came up in the real world. When you act confident in your wrong anwsers you will get burried.

Mine was honestly straight forward. A few that are good to know:
- What happens if your pitot tube freezes, but the drain hole remains open?
- What happens when the entire pitot tube freezes over?
- What happens if your static port freezes over but the pitot remains open?
- My examiner asked how the ILS system worked - I explained what I knew, but I told him I didn't honestly know the exact details of how it is configured on the ground. He was fine with that.
- What do you use for forecasted weather if there is no weather reporting system at your alternate? (not really tricky)
- How can you calculate required climb (FPM) from climb gradient (ft/NM)? (again not really tricky - by the way the Sporty's E6B iPad app has a nice feature that calculates this. Showed the examiner and he thought that was really nice).

Idk I didn't really have any trick questions. My oral was actually fairly short, but I explained things in great detail (which most people tell you NOT to do). I think he figured out pretty quickly that I knew my stuff.

To be honest, the IFR checkride was really straight forward. I was over prepared in a lot of ways, but better to be over prepared than under prepared. I also had a great examiner who was very reasonable, straight forward, etc. A complete 180 from the PPL examiner I had, who was honestly a bit of a jerk.

I uploaded my IR checkride summary I wrote for my instructor. You might find it helpful. Keep in mind I wrote this like 2 weeks after my checkride so I definitely forgot some of the oral exam items that were discussed.

Attachments

• Instrument Checkride PDF.pdf
    233.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
- My examiner asked how the ILS system worked - I explained what I knew, but I told him I didn't honestly know the exact details of how it is configured on the ground. He was fine with that.
- What do you use for forecasted weather if there is no weather reporting system at your alternate? (not really tricky)
- How can you calculate required climb (FPM) from climb gradient (ft/NM)? (again not really tricky - by the way the Sporty's E6B iPad app has a nice feature that calculates this. Showed the examiner and he thought that was really nice).

Idk I didn't really have any trick questions. My oral was actually fairly short, but I explained things in great detail (which most people tell you NOT to do). I think he figured out pretty quickly that I knew my stuff.

To be honest, the IFR checkride was really straight forward. I was over prepared in a lot of ways, but better to be over prepared than under prepared. I also had a great examiner who was very reasonable, straight forward, etc. A complete 180 from the PPL examiner I had, who was honestly a bit of a jerk.

I uploaded my IR checkride summary I wrote for my instructor. You might find it helpful. Keep in mind I wrote this like 2 weeks after my checkride so I definitely forgot some of the oral exam items that were discussed.
Thanks CC!

Regarding the flight, I had already been told in advance by the DPE what approaches to expect .

So I took time the day before loading the flight plans and approaches into the GPS system and saving them.

This made things very simple to switch from the one we just did to the next one he wanted. And not have lots of heads down time pushing buttons and twisting knobs.

After the ride, the examiner said he was impressed that I had done that and complimented me on my preparedness.

You are on a backcountry strip with no elevation reported, how can you tell the elevation and thus know your takeoff and landing roll? Hint: the tool is in your airplane.
Just a practical example from where I live and something the dpe deems required knowledge.

You are on a backcountry strip with no elevation reported, how can you tell the elevation and thus know your takeoff and landing roll? Hint: the tool is in your airplane.
Just a practical example from where I live and something the dpe deems required knowledge.

Another one my DPE wanted to know.... the diferrent types of altitude (pressure, density, etc) and how do you get from one to the other.

TLAR method.

You close one eye, hold up your thumb and sight along your thumb to the strip and say.... "That Looks About Right..."

Yep. Not something my instructor and I talked directly about but came up on oral.
That sounds so much like....You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door

You are doing the ILS 9 into KBKV. At your DA, how high are you above Mother Earth?

You are doing the ILS 9 into KBKV. At your DA, how high are you above Mother Earth?
.... add, "and you forgot to reset your altimeter from 30.13 while in cruise to 29.90 reported by the ATIS/AWOS. If the weather is at minimums, are you still in the clouds or about to become a statistic?"

Freezing, when and where to expect it and how to deal with it
Keeping your OAT in the scan, also what's indicated OAT vs actual OAT

Flaps and speeds for ice on the airframe

Circle to land to a missed

IFR into a field with no IAP
using MVA or a near by IAP to another airport, and how to file it.
Leading into ....
IFR in class G airspace and how it's different

Picking up IFR from the ground at controlled and uncontrolled, picking it up and canceling from the air.

GPS in place of DME, flying a NDB or VOR with GPS overlay

Calculating remaining power after a alternator or generator failure

Destination alternate requirements, when do you need one and what do you need

What's a takeoff alternate.

When to go missed, when can you go down a little lower

IFR planning and MOAs and restricted/prohibited/alert

Calculating rate of a turn based off bank and speed

Where can you start a IAP (IF, IAF, etc)

The use of strobes and other lights in IMC

Knowing when you should ask vs tell ATC something.

How and where to get official weather/NOTAMs, how and where to file.

Last edited:
Manifold pressure with the engine off.

Don't overlook 1) when you are required to have an instrument rating (including VFR cloud clearance requirements), 2) what you must have to be legal to act as PIC IFR, and 3) what your aircraft must have to be legal to fly IFR.

Also, make sure you know what an ODP is and where to find them.

I could use some instruction on this.

How many amp hours is your battery, how many amps are the breakers.

Manifold pressure with the engine off.

I'd go of the altimeter and standard pressure of 29.92, but there's also a app for that ;)

image.jpg

Minimum fuel requirements

Minimum altitudes (both mountain terrain and non-mountain)

Airspaces.... expect to be quizzed on how they are depicted on the charts, and where does the controlled space begin, and the visability requirements. This will be either the 3-152's method or Bryan's "Teddy Bear in the Electric Chair" method

How do you check that your VOR system is working as it should (know the different methods and the tolerances for each method)

My oral exam was straight forward. The instructor I felt tested me for an adequate depth of knowledge without resorting to playing stump the chump or other games.

The bulk of my oral revolved around the preflight planning. "Show me that you've planned the flight and that you and the aircraft are fit to fly." We went over the actual weather (severe VFR, but gusty), when an alternate would have been required, what that would have done to my planning if it had, what I could have used for an alternate on this flight had it been needed, information on my route, what the minimum altitudes are, what would I do if I lost comm on the route. Is there an ODP on this airport (there was), how would I fly that,etc ... We then went over the logs, me showing the various inspections required. We went over my logbook, me explaining currency requirements etc. Showed my medical and certificate. Talked briefly about that readiness (IM SAFE). By the time we got out to the actual aircraft, he asked me a few questions during the preflight about the pitot static etc... but I think he probably figured I was pretty well set and we just went flying.

He did ask a few questions enroute, but it was pretty straightforward. We did the hold in the ODP (didn't really need it because I had met the minimum altitude by the time I got htere, but he said that's how we'll do that part of the lesson). He did ask me after covering my AI and HSI about the particular systems in my plane: Yes the autopilot still works with no vacuum... all electric, so is the HSI. Suggested I fly my partial panel appraoch on the autopilot then. So I did, then he suggested the autopilot was hunting enough in gusty conditions that I could do better flying it by had so I went back.

I think everyone's experience is a little different - no two DPE's are the same. Keep in mind that the oral is different than the written. My experience (and most of the others in my area) were pretty similar.

Come in with a well done and thought out flight plan and log. Be prepared to sit down and discuss it for about an hour - why did you choose the route that you did, weather factors that morning, and of course be prepared for a series of "what if" scenarios that will get you to discuss alternate airports, weather deviations, equipment malfunctions, etc.

If you are planning into or out of Class Bravo, I would suggest using a SID or STAR in your plan and obviously don't have a navlog that shows "direct" - you need to use airways and VOR's in order for the DPE to bring all of that in to the conversation. Make sure you can thoroughly explain everything on a low level IFR chart.

Again, it is more of a conversation than like an oral version of the written exam. In reality, you have had at least 40 hours of instruction, several hours in IMC, and 2-3 cross country's including the 250 mile one - in other words, if you are to the point of the Practical then you are obviously ready. Your CFI would not sign you off if he or she was not extremely confident that you were going to pass. That oral is not going to cover anything that you have not already covered many times in your flying during training.

And remember - you don't have to answer every question correctly. The oral part is not "pass / fail" like the practical part is. You can answer questions incorrectly and still be allowed to fly the practical. You have to really show that you do not really understand how to plan an IFR flight before being denied the right to fly the practical. I brought my AIM and was ready to use it but never had to.

Good luck and don't sweat it. If your CFI signs you off then you are ready!

One trick someone taught me that impressed the DPE during my oral was to take the page in the approach chart flipbook that tells you how much to add to minimums for out of service equipment and tape it to something you use all the time. When I was asked that question I just pulled out my notepad with that page taped to the front cover and read off the answe. The DPE said that most people using EFBs fumble for 10 or 20 minutes trying to answer that question.

The only thing I remember from my instrument checkride oral was the question of which type of ice causes the most accidents?

ATFQ is always good advice. If they want to know more they’ll ask. Most DPEs genuinely want you to do well but some candidates just won’t shut up and dig themselves deeper and deeper...

Thanks for the file. Saving it. It'll come in handy for my instrument students. Well, if I had an instrument student. :D

Also know the answers to the questions you missed on the knowledge exam. DPE will ask those on any check ride.

before you rattle off AVEF MEA for lost comms don't forget to say - If I encounter VFR I'll land....

It's rather long, almost 2 hours, but Andy's an incredible resource (and local) and the youtube video covers just about everything:

Loss of comms. Know what the regs (91.185) and AIM (6-4-1) says, but also explain what you would do in real world scenario. The route and altitude are the easy answers. It's knowing what to do leaving your clearance limit (which is almost always the airport itself). Really think this part through.

Also, be able to apply common sense to alternate selection. 1-2-3 rule is just a trigger for loss of comms contingency planning. The alternate is not necessarily where you would go if you can't get into your destination. You can negotiate anything with ATC as long as you're in contact with them. I recently had a lengthy discussion with a DPE where he expressed his disappointment with the lack of common sense in alternate selection and how to apply alternate mins by many instrument rating candidates.

What weather scenarios would trigger a no-go for you in the airplane you will fly for the checkride? Know AIRMETs, Convective SIGMETs, how to obtain freezing/icing data. What are your favorite forecasting tools and why?

Finally, I would repeatedly emphasize that just because the regs allow you to do something, doesn't mean you should do it.

This is a good area to really know. The examiner might look at your x country and throw out a lost comma scenario and ask what you are gonna do.

It's rather long, almost 2 hours, but Andy's an incredible resource (and local) and the youtube video covers just about everything:

I agree. That was a good presentation.

I need to ask one of the local DPE's to do a similar one.

Back