OR-CA-AZ-NM-TX

SkykingC310

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
I'll be flying a Cessna 150 from Portland, OR to Austin, TX next week. Planning to overnight in Corona, CA and El Paso, TX. Anyone been to these places and can recommend places to stay or places to eat or things to do? Thanks.

What the haywire for? We have plenty of 150s around here! :)

I can't tell ya too much about Austin since I'm still pretty new here. But, I sure as heck recommend stopping in Llano, TX and grabbing the van for lunch at Cooper's BBQ. Tis the best you'll ever find.

sounds like a fun trip. i enjoy flights like that! ...but in a 150!? eeeesh, that's cramped.

What the haywire for? We have plenty of 150s around here! :)

I can't tell ya too much about Austin since I'm still pretty new here. But, I sure as heck recommend stopping in Llano, TX and grabbing the van for lunch at Cooper's BBQ. Tis the best you'll ever find.

And then he'll be too heavy for that 150. :fingerwag:

Why Corona? I would recommend FlaBob just to the northeast. There you'll find EAA Chapter #1 and hotels close by. There is a good on-field restaurant too. (KCNO Chino has the Planes of Fame but it's a long drive to any hotel and good luck getting back in through the gate.)

With a minor adjustment in your schedule you could make Lake Havasu. KHII has cheap gas too.

But if your heart is set on AJO then I guess you could shack up at the Best Western. Other than Aircraft Spruce there's not much in that place. Bob's Chow Hall is okay and on the field.

Gotta suggest again: To to Juarez, stay on the main street. Good fun.

I'll second the Llano stop. I was there recently for a Texas Ranger retirement party and they were the friendliest people I'd ever met. And 100LL was only $4.40/gal! Really nice airport too.

When you get to Austin, go to the Saltlick BBQ, southwest of the city. Outstanding. BYOB - you should see guys coming in from the parking lot carrying cases. They'll provide the openers. Only in Texas!!

KEMT is nice. You could take a cab to Huntington Street and stay in the hotels they have there. Also the eatery on the field at KEMT is pretty good too.

I'll second the Llano stop. I was there recently for a Texas Ranger retirement party and they were the friendliest people I'd ever met. And 100LL was only $4.40/gal! Really nice airport too.

Welcome to POA, Joyce! Are you in Texas, or were you just moving through? I'm in the DFW area.

Thanks for the welcome! My 'residence' is in Arkansas, but I more or less live in Texas (what a great state). We have a ranch outside of Claksville and spend as much time as possible there. I was at AFW during the same trip as Llane. That was a great adventure for me as a fairly new IA pilot. Which of all the airports in DFW area do you call home?

Joyce, Welcome to the board!

According to a fellow CFI, he disagrees on Saltlick. Cooper's rocks as far as I'm concerned. He did tell me Kreuz (pronounced "Krytes") and Blacks in Lockhart are the best spots nearby. Perhaps County Line in Austin but it falls short of the others mentioned.

I had a great trip! Spent the first night in Bakersfield, CA...second night in Deming, NM.

Portland to Austin in 24.6 hrs.

Joyce, Welcome to the board!

According to a fellow CFI, he disagrees on Saltlick. Cooper's rocks as far as I'm concerned. He did tell me Kreuz (pronounced "Krytes") and Blacks in Lockhart are the best spots nearby. Perhaps County Line in Austin but it falls short of the others mentioned.

Kreuz and Blacks in Lockhart are great, some of the best in my book, but don't forget Smitty's there either (it was the original Kreuz market). I like Saltlick, but if you plan on going on a Friday or Saturday night go early! They get WAY to busy and you'll wait forever for food. I'm not crazy about County Line at all :no:.

In downtown Austin, I recommend House Park barbecue for lunch. It's one of those little hidden, out of the way places that have been there forever (and every particle of smoke ever created in the place is still on the walls...just don't look :D ). They are only open for lunch and it's tiny, so not a lot of seating. We go there a lot for lunch and use them to cater staff lunches sometimes.

Thanks for the welcome! My 'residence' is in Arkansas, but I more or less live in Texas (what a great state). We have a ranch outside of Claksville and spend as much time as possible there. I was at AFW during the same trip as Llane. That was a great adventure for me as a fairly new IA pilot. Which of all the airports in DFW area do you call home?

Next time you're at AFW, let me know. I fly out of KFTW (Meacham), 52F (Northwest Regional) and KDTO (Denton), and used to haunt Hicks (T67)... Alliance Fort Worth is a favorite practice-approach airport for me, and is 10 minutes from my home.

Next time you're at AFW, let me know. I fly out of KFTW (Meacham), 52F (Northwest Regional) and KDTO (Denton), and used to haunt Hicks (T67)... Alliance Fort Worth is a favorite practice-approach airport for me, and is 10 minutes from my home.

Awesome! I spend most of my time in north eastern TX at KLBR. It would be great to maybe practice some approaches with you sometime. I would have thought that AFW was too busy to let you practice approaches. I'm glad to hear that it is a good place to do that. What are you flying? I've got a 2000 Cessna 182.

Excellent photos- thanks for sharing!

Good photos. Did you have a noise-cancelling headset? After flying the skyhawk from Chicago to Florida, my ears were ringing for a while.
That was a long, long flight to Austin.

Nope...didn't have a noise-canceling headset. At least the plane had a plug-in for my iPod, so I had music the whole way. Plus the Garmin 396 has XM Radio. I was pretty happy!

Back