Options to upgrade a Mooney M20J?

EricBe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Berman
I'm a member of a club in the Seattle area (= 12,000ft+ MEA's and ice much of the year) with a 1994 Mooney M20J. We love it, but we’d like to upgrade it to make it more flyable more of the year in this area. Specifically, we’d like some sort of ice protection (doesn’t have to be FIKI, but something like TKS would be great) and an engine that can help climb above the ice (or above the minimum altitudes in our area, which often exceed 14,000ft).

Mooney Missile, sadly, no longer does their upgrades, which would have been perfect.

Anybody have advice about possible options that are available to us? Obviously, one is to sell this plane and buy another, but I'm wondering what we can do without that option.

My 2 cents about adding a tks system to a club m20j
1. Climbing through ice is never a good idea, especially with a normally aspirating engine.
2. Your insurance probably won't be a fan with TKS on a community airplane.
3. TKS adds weight, club planes are typically kept with full tanks, and the M20 doesn't have a spectacular full fuel payload as it is.

Most people in clubs don't fly much more than 40-50 hours a year, All but a handful of the people in my club do I even trust in IMC let alone in icing prone conditions. The other 75 are a scary thought with ANY kind of weather. Last thing they need is a TKS system. I can't speak for your club though...

For weather avoidance, I think your club would be better off investing in a 750 with a XM subscription. Maybe even an ASPEN.

Buy a plane with it already installed, more common on turbo mooneys for obvious reasons, I think TKS is like $40K installed.

I have a 94 Mooney with TKS and IMO it is worth every penny and every lb of weight.

A little experience in the air here, CFI, II, MEI, Navy, 29 years with the airlines... so yes, "climbing through ice is never a good idea" is accurate, however ice is insidious and unpredictable, and flipping on the TKS switch when you inadvertently load up is, well can we say a life saver? For any serious IFR flying ANY, TKS should be highest on the priority list.

I agree, find a plane with it already installed, more bank for the buck. As with everything aviation, installations are extremely expensive and typically these things depreciate very fast, so may be possible to find an airplane already equipped. I may put my 94 Bravo on the market and upgrade to a Lancair Evolution, drop me a line if interested.

Fly safe!

Get a booted Cessna 210.

Boots or hot wings > fluid

Back