Opinions on this PA30 Twin Comanche

mandm

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Michael

Not a huge fan of the colors, the avionics works for me, but the gear up makes me question the price.

I’m thinking for 130k it’s missing two G5’s or an Aspen upgrade. Then minus the gear up history. Thoughts?

I don't think its too bad for the price. GTN650 and an autopilot works for me. I would want a trusted mechanic to do a thorough pre-buy inspection of the aircraft and the logs to go over the repairs from the gear up. The repair process isn't rocket science, but just want to make sure corners weren't cut. If you compare it to the other PA-30s listed on that website, it is about average pricepoint.

Too many questions for the price. Why top and not major, how long since top, 22 hrs not enough time to be sure you got a good engine(has it been flown much in past year to break in engine) my guess is it was repaired but then sat a lot since repai.

Yes and kind of weird to advertise STOP vs SMOH. 22 isn’t much, and have the new cylinders been broken in properly is another question.

I always thought twins were cheaper, like 60-70k. Add some for avionics. Remove some for missing logs or damage history.

Anyway, fun to look at. I have my insurance guy running some quotes on a turbo. He said NA PA30 time doesn’t count towards a turbo, so not thinking the quote will come out nicely. I have zero turbo experience. The placard looks pretty self explanatory though.

Waiting for @kaiser

Only 700 smoh. Seems like a good deal to me.

what happened with lance's perfectly good twin comanche?

Lot of differences but Mandm is welcome to look. Almost through the annual inspection at this time.

I’m traveling through the new year so I’m not doing anything until 2024 at the earliest. But happy to look, some people might say I’m a “tirekicker” o_O

Yes and kind of weird to advertise STOP vs SMOH. 22 isn’t much, and have the new cylinders been broken in properly is another question.

I always thought twins were cheaper, like 60-70k. Add some for avionics. Remove some for missing logs or damage history.

Anyway, fun to look at. I have my insurance guy running some quotes on a turbo. He said NA PA30 time doesn’t count towards a turbo, so not thinking the quote will come out nicely. I have zero turbo experience. The placard looks pretty self explanatory though.

Waiting for @kaiser
The warning in my head is a top after 700ish hours. These are super basic engines, so were they mistreated? Other situation? For the gear up, as long as it’s not the same engine or props, I don’t even think about it - though I would definitely negotiate it.

The PA30 I fly runs hot. Basically once you’re airborne you pitch for top of white arc to control temps. The owner never closes the cowl flaps.

Also - it’s super weird that your insurance guy counts turbo time differently than non, since I would think all of the risk is airframe related and not whether you get boost in the engine.

The warning in my head is a top after 700ish hours. These are super basic engines, so were they mistreated? Other situation? For the gear up, as long as it’s not the same engine or props, I don’t even think about it - though I would definitely negotiate it.

The PA30 I fly runs hot. Basically once you’re airborne you pitch for top of white arc to control temps. The owner never closes the cowl flaps.

Also - it’s super weird that your insurance guy counts turbo time differently than non, since I would think all of the risk is airframe related and not whether you get boost in the engine.
I might have to shop around then but I did ask, and I did clarify hey I learned in a non turbo PA30 and this aircraft I’m quoting is a turbo PA30.

I'm guessing the top was in response to the gear up landing. Why do the cylinders and the crank but not take it all the way to OH I don't understand, but people do it.

700 to 1000 hours is about right for some cylinders.

This is actually my son's plane. Reason for sale is to become partner in my C414. Definitely no rush. An ad is on Facebook if you're willing to use that app. https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=twin comanche
His is N7707Y. If it interests you, I know he has all records digitized and can send a link to a file share to get those.
I did see that listing on trade-a-plane and it’s a beautiful plane. I’m guessing the ad expired?

My insurance agent said my PA30 twin comanche time in a non-turbo doesn’t count as time in type for a turbo PA30 twin, does anyone know if this is accurate?

Many insurance companies declined to provide a quote for me but there was one who quoted $8400.

Meanwhile my Arrow renewal came in at $1548 ($19xx last year).

The turbo is an STC. I don’t see how the type could be considered different. If I were filling out an insurance form PA 30 time would all be on one line.

I have a partnership in a 1969 PA30C. It's a great airplane. Fast, comically efficient, handles nicely. It is a little hard (tedious) to work on, which will increase maintenance costs depending on how involved you are (owner-assisted, etc.). They are hard to insure anymore. We have insurance on ours, but the carriers are few and far between and the premiums are high. But it's hard to beat 160-165kts on 16gph with 2 engines (and it will fly on one).

I have a partnership in a 1969 PA30C. It's a great airplane. Fast, comically efficient, handles nicely. It is a little hard (tedious) to work on, which will increase maintenance costs depending on how involved you are (owner-assisted, etc.). They are hard to insure anymore. We have insurance on ours, but the carriers are few and far between and the premiums are high. But it's hard to beat 160-165kts on 16gph with 2 engines (and it will fly on one).
Piper was in love with screws back in those days. I don't know how mechanics did it before cordless screwdrivers came along. There is definitely an opportunity for an owner to save a few shekels on the annual by being a screwdriver jockey. But they are a great plane. I have a PA-30C which I have had for 18 years and been all over the country with it.

Back