Opinions on this baron...

Interesting there is an 18 year old lien on it that can not be cleared.

Yeah. that's interesting. there has to be a way to get rid of that, but if it involves the gub'ment....

Yeah. that's interesting. there has to be a way to get rid of that, but if it involves the gub'ment....

It actually many not be that difficult, or, would be worth doing, if the successful bidder...

FAR 49.17(d)(5) states that once a debt has been satisfied, the lien holder shall complete AC Form 8050-41, Part II — Release, and return the form to:

FAA Aircraft Registry
Department of Transportation
Post Office Box 25504
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73125

Quite often, banks or other institutions not knowledgeable in aviation will fail to notify the FAA once a debt is satisfied.

The FAA will clear a lien with only one of the following:

1. Release of lien from the lien holder; or
  2. A court judgment, in so many words, declaring a lien null and void.
If an "unreleased lien" is reported that the buyer or seller believes was previously satisfied, the aircraft owner may request that the lien holder complete another AC Form 8050-41 or send a letter to the FAA Aircraft Registry that includes:

• A description of the original lien
  • Date the lien was received by the FAA
  • Names of all parties
  • The date of FAA recording
  • The recorded conveyance number.
If the lien holder cannot be found, as in the case of a company going out of business or a mechanic moving his shop, and an extensive search is unsuccessful, a court judgment can be requested to "nullify" the lien. Because this process is dependent upon state law, AOPA suggests consulting with an attorney.

In most cases, the search for the lien holder needs to be documented. Suggested search methods:

• A bank: Ask your local banker for help: every bank situation can be tracked and is known to the Dept. of Commerce. FAA attorneys at FAA Aircraft Registry may also help: 405-954-3116. It may take some number of calls to get to an officer-level employee (AVP and up) at the successor Bank, but they are required by state law to release the claim if they cannot prove that it is still valid.
  • To find a person: Use a "white pages" database via the Internet or CD-ROM. If unsuccessful, hire a private investigator. In any case, a court will not grant a judgment without proof of an extensive search.
  • To find a corporation: Corporations (including banks) are bought, merge, or file for bankruptcy. Request the status of a corporation from the Secretary of State in the state where the business was incorporated. If the corporation was dissolved, request official written confirmation, and file it with the FAA to "offset" the lien. If a successor is located, they are required by state law to provide a release if the debt has been satisfied.
Depending upon state law, if a judgment is granted, it only releases the aircraft as collateral; the lien holder may still seek payment from the debtor.

The AOPA Title Service vendor, AIC Title: 800/711-0087, provides a clearance-of-lien service that may be simpler than doing the above work yourself.. Price will be quoted starting at $500. You may also be able to purchase title insurance to cover contingences around some lien clearance situations. Ask AIC Title.

Looks like a hell of a "deal" for whoever you choose to be your A&P!
He/she could probably put a kid or two through college what with the care and feeding of that beast.

He/she could probably put a kid or two through college what with the care and feeding of that beast.

Why is that?

Is that a Baron-generic statement, or, is there something on this one that would enrichen the local mechanic?

Meh....it's a crap shoot. Lots could be wrong, but one would have to review the logbooks.

I'd bid $30-40K.....

Meh....it's a crap shoot. Lots could be wrong, but one would have to review the logbooks.

I'd bid $30-40K.....

As the minimum bid is $75k, and it requires a bidder's deposit, I don't think your bit will be accepted or acknowledged.

Why is that?

Is that a Baron-generic statement, or, is there something on this one that would enrichen the local mechanic?
Let me answer your question with a question - at what dollar amount do you consider annuals to be painful ? We can build from there.

Let me answer your question with a question - at what dollar amount do you consider annuals to be painful ? We can build from there.

My $750 annual this year just got my $25,000th dollar delivered to my mechanic yesterday, and I still like them, we sat around their shop yesterday afternoon drinking PBR's and telling stories. At this point, I can't say that I have found a painful threshold on annuals.

YES! Another PBR drinker!

I don't advocate the consumption of PBR, but, my favorite beer of all time is free beer, and, since my mechanics have a fridge full of it, I will gladly partake in the consumption of PBR.

(As an aside, I have been getting a hankering for some real Miller Beer, "the Champagne of beers" in a bottle. I can't remember having any since high school, and, I saw a picture/bottle/ad somewhere, and it makes me think I need some Miller.)

YES! Another PBR drinker!
Its all he can afford after spending 25K on annuals.....:D

I thought this Baron could be a deal as its in annual, and even its screwed, the major parts should be worth that much. If I had a spare 75K I would have already flown out to see it. But Im a bit of a gambler.

My $750 annual this year just got my $25,000th dollar delivered to my mechanic yesterday, and I still like them, we sat around their shop yesterday afternoon drinking PBR's and telling stories. At this point, I can't say that I have found a painful threshold on annuals.

If 25k annuals don't cause you indigestion than you'll be fine with a Baron.

I don't advocate the consumption of PBR, but, my favorite beer of all time is free beer, and, since my mechanics have a fridge full of it, I will gladly partake in the consumption of PBR.

(As an aside, I have been getting a hankering for some real Miller Beer, "the Champagne of beers" in a bottle. I can't remember having any since high school, and, I saw a picture/bottle/ad somewhere, and it makes me think I need some Miller.)

Yes I liked beer better in a bottle myself, seems to taste better , to me anywho.

Being that it starts at 75k you really can't say it's a deal until it sells. The average asking price of that year model baron is around 300k. If you are in the market for a similar vintage baron it could be a really good deal. One just a few years earlier drops a lot in price. I am not familiar with the type so not sure what upgrades came with different years. In my opinion the first year model that gives you all the features you want with decent time engines is the best buy unless this one sells for the same or less money.

When it comes to airplanes the year means very little. It's the times and specifications that matter the most. If it gained useful load, HP, or eased maintenance in later years that's one thing, but if an 84 baron is no different than an 82 baron and they have similar times and equipment I don't see a good reason to go for a later year model.

So you really didn't have any insight?
The economics of it just don't bear up. If you've got to move that amount of payload at that speed there are cheaper ways of doing it. But, if you absolutely have to have a Baron than knock yourself out. Sort of like paying a shop to do a frame- off restoration of an AMC Pacer.

One problem for me is that it is in Louisiana. At one time Louisiana was a thief's paradise. Very easy to buy and sell stolen vehicles there and not lose the vehicle to law enforcement. I have not done business there in over 30 years so I hope it has changed.

The economics of it just don't bear up. If you've got to move that amount of payload at that speed there are cheaper ways of doing it. But, if you absolutely have to have a Baron than knock yourself out. Sort of like paying a shop to do a frame- off restoration of an AMC Pacer.

Hey, Pacers were great cars. You could do all sorts of things with one. Like..... uuummmm.... carry a long sandwich in one...:lol::lol::lol:

I might be missing something, but, again, you still don't provide any insight or useful information.

What cheaper ways of moving a Baron-like payload at that speed are there? What will the costs be to run this Baron?

From Trade a Plane, it looks like Barons of this age (post 1980) are in the $200k range.....

Hey, Pacers were great cars. You could do all sorts of things with one. Like..... uuummmm.... carry a long sandwich in one...:lol::lol::lol:

Back in the day, a writer for one of the automotive buff books said the Porsche 928 looked like a Pacer someone sat on. :D

My first girlfriend owned--simultaneously--a Chevy Vega, an AMC Pacer and an AMC Gremlin. She also carried a derringer in her purse and had a couple of snakes as pets, but that's another story that would only take this thread further OT. :rolleyes:

Maybe, maybe not. Why is it being auctioned by the govt?

Frequently government agencies have to use auction as a means of disposing of assets not needed.

I don't think there is anything "sinister" about this plane.

I think it is just the normal POA (Pilots Opposing Aircraft ownership) that is making it seem like this plane is a money pit, unsafe, unable to be titled, and would have $25k annuals, plus expensive to operate.

We have the advice to "run" from the plane....
run-forest-run-jpg.49617

We have somebody thinking a mechanic can put two kids thru college with the plane...

Another POA citizen thinking it is a crap shoot that could have lots wrong, but after reviewing the logbooks, he would valuing the plane and advocate making a ridiculously low bid that would be instantly rejected.

I'd bid $30-40K.....

Another comment about how painful the annuals would be, without any explanation.

And yet another comment about $25k annuals, without any information or knowledge
If 25k annuals don't cause you indigestion than you'll be fine with a Baron.

Then some imaginary economics, that have no basis.

Then, a real interesting comment about the fact the plane being in Lousiana being a problem, due to it being a "thief's paradise", which is interesting for a plane owned by the State of Lousiana. Not sure if the State typically steals vehicles for their fleets, so this is an interesting comment....
One problem for me is that it is in Louisiana. At one time Louisiana was a thief's paradise. Very easy to buy and sell stolen vehicles there and not lose the vehicle to law enforcement. I have not done business there in over 30 years so I hope it has changed.

As if this plane isn't a good one??
those are for the good ones.....lol :D

POA is interesting, a thread about a Baron has no information from the commenters about a Baron, but, we learn all sorts of useless information about the much maligned AMC Pacer and PBR....

As if this plane isn't a good one??
If it's good...buy it.

I'd never recommend buying a bad plane.

And based on my expert opinion (PM me for credentials)....not enough information is given to formulate a purchase judgement.

Point taken. All I can say is without looking at the airplane and the logs, I don't know. Could be a great deal or not. If it was a state of LA airplane and not a government confiscated airplane, then chances are it may be a good deal.

If it's good...buy it.

I'd never recommend buying a bad plane.

And based on my expert opinion (PM me for credentials)....not enough information is given to formulate a purchase judgement.

And yet you passed along your "expert opinion" on 4 different posts in this thread, before finally acknowledging you didn't having enough information.

I am not sure exactly what your "credentials" are, but I am guessing you are an Expert at Jumping to Conclusions...

And yet you passed along your "expert opinion" on 4 different posts in this thread, before finally acknowledging you didn't having enough information.

I am not sure exactly what your "credentials" are, but I am guessing you are an Expert at Jumping to Conclusions...
maybe you need to learn to count....for the record, I never recommended purchasing this aircraft for the min bid.:D

Back