Opinions on Static System Tubing

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Owing to various upgrades I have a kludge of nylon tubing, nylon fittings, bayonet fittings and rubber tubing in my Tiger's static system. I'm thinking of trying to streamline the whole affair to reduce the overall number of connections when I upgrade for ADS-B.

What are folks using?

Thanks,

There is an immaculate Cessna 190 based at my home field that uses an aluminum manifold and AN fittings and braided hose. Overkill, but looks great.

There is an immaculate Cessna 190 based at my home field that uses an aluminum manifold and AN fittings and braided hose. Overkill, but looks great.
That's what I do, build hard lines with AN fittings. Looks great and never leaks, but you must place a hose in there somewhere for vibration.
usually where the system makes its transition from the fuselage to the instrument panel.
many instrument panels float on rubber mounts so you can't hard line that junction

Cessna started using nylon tubing in the early '70s or late '60s. I regularly found that stuff still good after all these years. Ten or 12 years ago Cessna decided that the stuff should be replaced every ten years, but that's overkill except maybe for the pitot tubing in the wing where it can get pretty hot. Heat ages it.

The pressures involved are small indeed. The bigger issue is getting the fittings leak-free. The tiniest leak can cause serious instrument error, and finding that leak and fixing it can be a real pain. Sometimes much of the interior has to be pulled out to get at it. Install it carefully. Test it before reinstalling everything else.

Back