Operation Butt Freeze

Sounds like MarkL needs to make a trip out to Denver...

Nate, I'm interested in your posts about getting your IR, so keep it up.

Jesse, bumping this request to the top, would like to know more about how you did it, too... did you use an advertised accelerated program, or roll your own local?
I base the accelerated training on the Jeppesen syllabus with some modifications. You also have to just stay pretty flexible because different weather conditions will change what you can or can't practice.

Nothing to post, sadly.

Work went nuts, was sick with flu-like symptoms one week, then sprained right wrist pretty good a couple weekends ago.

It's still a little sore when someone gives a hearty handshake or I lift something heavy. Annoying how long stupid stuff takes to heal up as you get older. Heh.

Got one VFR flight in on Wednesday, just before out 20" snowstorm that started Thursday, just to remember how to fly. :(

Spent the weekend running the snowblower mostly.

So...

Probably going to suck getting back up to speed. Will see.

Kinda completely derailed at the moment. :(

Sorry to hear that Nate.

I don't remember you mentioning using a sim at home.
It helped me greatly on my forced hiatus(es).
Flying the sim gets you through all the flying stages and forces you to think - "I'm here, I should do this, get ready for this, then that".
I can honestly say that my ability to maintain altitude and heading got better after doing it for a while with heavy turbulence in the sim.

Hoping things will pickup for you.

Kinda completely derailed at the moment. :(

That's a tough break. It took me over 20 years to get my private from the first time I started flying in '79. I swore no more ratings without an accelerated course. Within a year of getting my private, I had my IR with a two week accelerated course. I was really rooting for you to be able to finish that up with Jesse when you started this thread. I know how frustrating it can be.

Last edited:
I'm flying nearly every day after work for the next 2 weeks to finish up the IR. After a nearly 2 month break from instruction... I know how you feel. Looks like I might get some actual tonight. Got about 10 hours to go.

Last edited:
It's okay. As Tupper says in his podcast and in person... "The only penalty is that you'll have to go fly more!" ;)

Nothing new since February 6th? What's going on with the training Nate?

Nothing.

Last weekend and this weekend, I will be enjoying the lovely and ever-so-popular Peterson AFB, doing CAP things that have been on the calendar for quite a while.

The quest for the rating is completely de-railed at the moment.

Have also been sick twice since returning from Nebraska (odd for me... one was flu-like, the other is the cold and sinus headache I had Monday which seems to be cleared up or very close to it today)... probably related to...

The new job. I'll stop there before I say something I'll regret. The place needs help of a type they're not searching for, let's just put it that way.

Nate - hope you don't mind I bumped the thread to the top. Inquiring minds are curious to your progress. I know I like to read about actual training flights rather then the obscure questions. :)

Flew as Safety Pilot for Clark in the Frakenkota this evening. Nice flying bird. Approaches and a hold. Southwest wind at altitude was whipping along.

Clark's not enamored with his talkative new "Bitchin' Betty friend" on board yet, but at least she tells you to "Have a nice flight" when he activates her.

The Aspen is nice. The more I see of those the more I want one in our panel. The two-axis autopilot is even nicer. ;)

Was a very nice evening to be up flying. We ran over near DIA to dinner afterward but the place we tried, I don't think we'll be writing any glowing reviews for. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. No complaints.

Not much other news. Thought I might get to go visit Jesse for a finish-up week in March here but it hasn't worked out.

Thinking maybe April but haven't talked dates with Jesse yet.

Flew as Safety Pilot for Clark in the Frakenkota this evening. Nice flying bird. Approaches and a hold. Southwest wind at altitude was whipping along.

Clark's not enamored with his talkative new "Bitchin' Betty friend" on board yet, but at least she tells you to "Have a nice flight" when he activates her.

The Aspen is nice. The more I see of those the more I want one in our panel. The two-axis autopilot is even nicer. ;)

Was a very nice evening to be up flying. We ran over near DIA to dinner afterward but the place we tried, I don't think we'll be writing any glowing reviews for. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. No complaints.

Not much other news. Thought I might get to go visit Jesse for a finish-up week in March here but it hasn't worked out.

Thinking maybe April but haven't talked dates with Jesse yet.

What was the name of the restaurant??

My wife and I may want to "see and avoid"..

Don't remember. The Italian place on hotel row south of DIA and I-70 north of 58th(?). Next door to Ruby Tuesday.

Food was okay. Decor was downright odd.

Thanks, we'll stay clear.

If you like good Mexican food fairly close to APA, try Brewery Bar. There's one just south of Park meadows and another one at Arapahoe and Parker. Their hot green chile will eat paint. But, the half and half is just right (for me, anyway)

If you like good Mexican food fairly close to APA, try Brewery Bar. There's one just south of Park meadows and another one at Arapahoe and Parker. Their hot green chile will eat paint. But, the half and half is just right (for me, anyway)

I was skiiing in Leadville with my son over New Year's and stopped by the airport to take a peek. Crappy day, they had shut the mountain at Ski Cooper with 120 mph winds on the top reporting station. Had a nice visit at the airport with the young fella that was managing it.

Anyway, wanted to mention that we found a very nice Mexican restaurant in Leadville, a few blocks to the NE of the Super 8.

Here it is:
http://www.grillbarcafe.com/
Hit or miss on the reviews. I found the service spotty but the food good.

Last edited:

The Brewery!!!!! There's 2 of them now??? I've been gone from Denver since 1987, but I used to live for the green chile....as least twice a week, sometimes more. :goofy: But the one I went to was just south of the downtown area.

The Brewery!!!!! There's 2 of them now??? I've been gone from Denver since 1987, but I used to live for the green chile....as least twice a week, sometimes more. :goofy: But the one I went to was just south of the downtown area.

Yes, two more now. Three total. Easy to get to from APA. The one that you went to is #2 and it's still there south of downtown.

My wife and I go once a week to get a fix.

Dang, I'm drooling now..

Love Mexican and Mrs. Loves it even more, so we'll be sure to try it out. Thanks.

If you're ever in da 'hood, feel free to holler. We live near Arapahoe & Yosemite. I love being ten minutes to the hangar door being open now that the weather is warmer.

We were over at Perfect Landing this evening. The place was the usual -- packed on Friday night and folks singing at the piano bar.

Well, we're givin' it a try... Already like the salsa...

aee884bf-3cee-83ab.jpg

OMG. We just saw their Sunday brunch menu. Eggs Benedict with green chili?! Genius!!!

So... necroposting on this old thread... Here goes...

Headed back to see Jesse next week. It's time to get this thing done if we can.

Somehow we managed to not only align our crazy schedules (mostly mine) but also a DPE (or three... ha).

The airplane comes back out of the shop tomorrow. One flight after annual and I'm headed for Nebraska.

New thread, or revive this one? Need a new Operation name.

Since I visited LNK it went from -10F to 90F forecast on Sunday. :)

I was tempted not to post this. I don't need the 79M X-C curse awakened from its slumber right now.

I would also prefer that no pets die while I'm away this time.

100% Prepared? Not really. I'll be honest. Overthinking this thing now for months.

All practiced up? No.

Ready to just focus 100% and get after it? And have a little fun in the process?

Heck yeah.

Leaving Sunday from KAPA...

Operation: Get IFR - Nebraska style?

Prediction:

You'll fly to Gaston's with a paper certificate in your pocket.

In here is fine. But if you do start a new thread though, if you would please post a link in here so I'll be sure not to miss it.

Yea! Do it!
My advice - assume you forget everything and think of yourself as a new student for the first few lessons - it will help the ego deal with less then perfect performance and avoid the "I should know this".

It will all come back.

You are going to miss winter flying under the hood. Don't forget to bring a towel.:rofl:

Good luck and have fun!

I am in the same position. I'm thisclose to finishing my IR, but I had to stop when seven months pregnant due to exhaustion. I'm getting ready to restart soon.

Good luck Nate. I'm looking forward to reading the continuation and completion of the training.

Okay, will keep this thread.

Today was way too busy (uhh, yesterday) with family stuff. It's 00:37 and finishing up packing.

Nephew graduated 3rd in his high school class (wow...) and mom and Aunt put on their "last" co-directed "USO" show at the VFW tonight.

Have one important errand to run in the morning here tomorrow and then launching for LNK, around but hopefully before noon.

This also works out well with WX which looks good after 12Z thru 00Z for the whole route assuming t-storms don't pop up which they're always capable of doing this time of year.

Will try to post regularly but like last time, it's not top priority. See y'all in Lincoln soon.

Flew 1.4 hours with Nate this evening. I'm pleased with how he flew given the time off.

Got checked into the hotel and stuff unpacked then met Jesse for quick dinner at the appropriately named "Luckies" bar/grill near KLNK.

Then 1.4 with some significant worry that there'd be a lot of rust to knock off.

Practice area for Jesse-vectors(TM) and that went pretty good, then vectors to the ILS 36 to the published missed and hold, around the hold one extra time to start the VOR 17.

Some mental mistakes (Dear Self, don't screw with checking the DG in the middle of an ILS on the localizer close in... And definitely don't crank it 20 degrees from where it was... That was dumb and cascaded into mild problems on the missed and beginning of the hold), but kinda surprised myself.

Last instrument flight was late January with a Safety Pilot (after the flight with Clark). I thought I was going to be a disaster. Instead it appears it stuck pretty well. Where's the "Like" button? ;)

Have one small logistical problem now that I've got the iPad on the yoke -- with the RAM mount offset so it doesn't block anything... was trying out using iPhone as a timer on a RAM suction mount... on the left side on the window. It's defitely not in a good location. Must fix. Need it in my field of view with the hood on.

Will come out here to the airport tomorrow and figure out something better for a timer location with the hood on, sitting in the seat... the old timer location is where the iPad is now.

Sure wish they'd put a timer in Foreflight. (I'm officially jealous of Clark's timer location in his Bird now. Ha.)

Time to go crash in the hotel. Thanks Jesse. No flight in the morning, working around Jesse's schedule and I'll use the time to whip out the books and make sure those brain cells are still working, figure out a timer setup, and go find silver speed tape to close up the heat vents completely. ;)

Should probably do something like this myself, I think I'd be more focused than doing it here...

Oh there's distractions. But they're the aviation kind. Teller's airplane showed up (without Teller), so I had to gawk like any other normal person...

... while I was walking in from checking the oil, adding a quart, sealing up the heater vents (hopefully) and finding a place to add Velcro to the airplane to stick the approach timer in a better place.

41746be6-ac95-d202.jpg

And there's other good reasons not to be at home... (Grin...)

41746be6-acb8-5321.jpg

Back