Operation Butt Freeze

It freezes my butt just looking at that picture!

Had a good start tonight.

As we were covering airwork things in the practice area, some real low level fog was developing but wasn't very thick at all. I kept an eye on what our outs where and continued the airwork.

When the time came to return to the airport it was obvious we were going to need the ILS. Even though we could see 50 miles, the airport was not visible and was underneath that low fog.

The visibility kept jumping around but the flight visibility maintained high enough for the procedure. Nate flew a nice ILS and we hit the fog layer right around 300 feet and had to go missed at 200 ft. We had quite a bit of fuel remaining and knew the fog was pretty variable so decided to give it one more shot before heading to an alternate. The next time around we spotted the approach lights at decision altitude and continued as per 91.175 and then spotted the runway environment shortly thereafter. A good lesson indeed.

Last edited:
Out of the chute nicely!

Holy crap that was cool. Perfect set of conditions to pull that off.

I need an icon for "can't wipe (ahem...) grin off my face!"

I had quite a little adrenaline shot going both landings. I'll be passing out here momentarily. ;)

Here's what the antenna on the rental car looked like when we left the airport. While we were VMC above the freezing fog, the car was down in it, gathering ice for a few hours.

aefd8583-06bf-4b3e.jpg

And the foggy drive in an unfamiliar town back to the extended stay place. (Flash made the precip look worse than it is. Just flying ice crystals. Not really snow, just frozen crystals.)

aefd8583-0710-edc5.jpg

Tower reported RVR as 2000 at the approach end, 1800 at the other end. I just restively replied "roger" like that happens every day to me... Ha. Right. Probably won't be doing that again for a long time... My personal minimums won't allow that! :)

Off to bed. Meeting at 09:00 so up before that...! G'night all!

Nathan, have fun. If ya get confused, give me a call. If ya get cold just fly down here to PHX, and don't scare the instructor.

Sounds like a good way to spend your vacation time.
Saw your flight there come across my flight aware.

Have fun my friend.

Mike

Interested in hearing about the rest of the lessons. Keep on posting!!

Will do. Here's the rental car this morning.

aefd8583-7c22-f06b.jpg

And I'm wearing the Uniform of the Day but it's going to be buried under so many layers, no one will ever see it! ;)

aefd8583-7c64-b57f.jpg

Jesse will be here to the Perkins in a couple minutes ... actually they're here! More later!

Ask Jesse to show you the coffee cup picture.

Will do Spike.

I owe an update to y'all but almost too busy. A couple more flights today.

Met up with Jesse and Danielle for breakfast at Perkins.

Slow flight is starting to click, couple laps around the published hold at KLNK, looked over my awful logbook that's literally falling apart. Personally I was embarrassed enough by it I figured burning it would be a good start but there's obviously too much valuable information in there.

Jesse had a company holiday party tonight so we knocked off at sundown and I went "home" to hit the books and stuff some meatloaf, salad and fruit in my face in my little kitchenette-equipped study corner of the city. I was wiped out. Which is a good thing.

Fell asleep for about three hours, while attempting to read, woke up and read some more, ordered a new logbook online w/ fast delivery to try to clean up the mess mine has become. Or at least start one that doesn't look so bad in another ten years. Hopefully.

Had been putting it off because I've been logging electronically but endorsements and CFI work are a pain electronically. It looks like I'll be catching up on the paper logs in a logbook that's not disintegrating.

Literally. Poor old thing.

The surprise of the day? Second time around the hold, I'm fighting with having blown through the inbound course a little bit and correcting for it, and Jesse says "that would have passed on a checkride". I replied, "Really? I thought that sucked! I should've gone a bit more west on the outbound leg." Heh. Proof once again we don't know what we don't know. Thank goodness for CFIs!

Side notes:

It's weird having a line crew for 79M. I'm used to putting her away in the hangar, etc. This is definitely a plus and a side-effect of training away from home.

We walk into the FBO and they take the aircraft over like a pit crew. Much faster turnarounds than at home with us just hitting the couch for a debrief and Jesse telling me stories of David consuming thousands of calories a day in the form of the cinnamon rolls in the FBO machine. ;)

And coffee. Apparently the secret sauce for David was coffee. The FBO has a Starbucks machine. That worked out pretty good, eh David? I also heard some stories about energy drinks and bowling... But maybe what happens at KLNK, stays at KLNK, just like the other PoA fly-ins? Heh heh. ;)

Jesse can embarrass me with my one totally blown radio call today for Clearance Delivery. I'm usually really good with the radios. Somehow that particular call-up... You ever keyed up and rambled out something that makes absolutely no sense at all and is all out of order with your voice starting off normal and kinda rising like your asking yourself the question, "What the hell am I saying" as you unkey mid-sentence... And the controller still manages to figure out what you said anyway while you're laughing and remarking to your Instructor, "Well I totally blew that!" Yep. Did that. The funny part was that I figured they'd quiz me with "20 questions" and then I'd get the clearance, so pencil wasn't exactly hooked to brain cells either when they shot back an altitude, a squawk, and runway heading. Huh? Oh. Write it down dummy! LOL!

Me, I'm either over-oxygenated or over-stimulated or probably both. I keep walking in from the flights with my mouth going 100 MPH. Like always when I'm tense my shoulders head for my ears in the airplane and when I get out I have to make a specific effort to stretch upright and force the shoulders down. Relax... Breathe. :)

If I were to add TOO much coffee to that mix, I'd explode. Heh heh. I just chug a huge container of water every time we land. Funny how it's freezing out and I'm sweating, eh? ;) ;) ;)

Any other day of the year I'd be all over that Starbucks machine, but so far only one cup from it and a couple at Perkins. ;)

Okay time to hit the hay. Since Jesse had a party tonight we agreed to start up a little later tomorrow.

So my whacked out nap - awake - back to bed thing will actually work out ok. 0200 now, meeting at 1000. Time to snooze.

Go, Nate! We're all rooting for you.

David...now you...this is starting to sound like "Jesse's school for the wayward"

:)

So the good news is, digging thru logs, the stuff I thought was "questionable" wasn't logged after all. Just a line noting it not added to totals.

(Makes me happy I wasn't a complete idiot in 1995! Haha!)

Still replacing the logbook for physical (falling apart) reasons though! ;)

So the good news is, digging thru logs, the stuff I thought was "questionable" wasn't logged after all. Just a line noting it not added to totals.

(Makes me happy I wasn't a complete idiot in 1995! Haha!)

Still replacing the logbook for physical (falling apart) reasons though! ;)

I have a spare sitting in my basement that I haven't started using yet if you want it. You can just replace it whenever. It's a Jeppesen professional logbook.

Yes, I fly alot mo bettah with coffee. I had 3 cups from the starbucks machine during my checkride, and another 2 at the perkins. Don't remind me of the Monsters and bowling.....I drank three and I actually thought I was going to die.

Sounds like you're having lots of fun Nate :)

This was #3 coffee this morning. I think I stopped at 8 (they refilled it 8 times, It was only completely empty twice so it was probably more like 5.)

384230_2308330028200_1247804014_31928737_1447725004_n.jpg

A good long day.

Somewhere in all of this we got about 2 hours of actual.

Heh. I'm so busy concentrating unless Jesse says "take the hood off" and there's a bunch of bright white fuzz out the window, I don't even really notice. ;) "Cooool!" Then head back down.

Breaking out on top around 5000' MSL was gorgeous, my brain enjoyed that for a sec, very pretty, but ya gotta put the hood back down and get back to work. :)

(You'd need a separate documenter in the back or a locked down video camera to get any photos or video. Too busy.)

Three flights today. First flight was rocky -- VOR approaches and holds. Climb out was ok, and we were in actual during the climb so I get to push the hood up and see the weird refractions of light and the optical illusions. Very cool.

Controller was confused about our request to hold East of LNK on the 090 radial *AT* 8 DME fix -- "cleared for 8 DME legs", uhh... No, *AT* the 8 DME point.

So many GPSs out there, they're forgetting about us /A guys old-school typical training requests. ;)

The holds and the approaches were kinda all over the place. After landing I realized I was frustrated and instead of trying to get smoother and concentrating on tiny changes, I was overcontrolling like mad. "I ... Can... Fix... This!" Grunt, grunt... Two hands on the yoke. Not very Zen. :)

This obviously doesn't work.

Good to know. I couldn't put a finger on it until we landed.

Went to lunch. Talked geek stuff. Good mental break.

Next flight, smoother. Still chasing a little bit at times. Key was to pay more attention to the AI. VOR and LOC approaches.

Also learned my AI leans a tiny bit after long right turns. Erects within a second or so but it's consistent. Good to know. Not perfect behavior.

Not going to matter much. It's going to fail mysteriously with the magic Post-It note again soon. Haha.

One more flight. Things improving. Focus is higher and corrections smaller. VOR, LOC, and ILS.

I like ILS. ;) (I joked, "This means we'll be doing more Non-Precision, I know!" ;)

Seeing the tower as we're taxiing past and realizing they couldn't see us taxiing the other night was an eye opener. "But they're right there!" heh heh. Wow.

Weather has threatened ice pretty much continuously so we check charts and temps between every flight. Jesse's watching like a hawk.

Also means we're not venturing away from KLNK much so far.

Good chance to see the weather decision-making process. Learn the "outs" and/or see if my assumptions were right after I look at the weather.

Sometimes I focus on whether it's flyable and miss the obvious option, "How can you just to stay out of it?"

Ahh yes. Why force it? Got it. Good lesson.

I must admit, I have loved Foreflight for this. The RAM mounts for the iPad and iPhone have been banished though.

In the way and blocking things. Great VFR. Sucks IFR.

iPad on lap with checklist is working much better. Not sure I want an iPad kneeboard though. Might try taking it out of its case though.

I *hate* changing approach plates in the App though. Noticeable delay in response on iPad 1.

Jesse's iPad 2 is significantly faster to respond.

Weather's the limiting factor mainly right now. We're filing locally with Clearance Delivery on every flight.

It's good. Progress each flight is all I'm hoping for.

I'd say the first flight today was the hardest with some regression due to the wrong mental attitude. Next two flights went the right direction. About 10 hours on the airplane so far and loving it.

Deck angle and climb out weirds me out down here. I keep flying about 95 knots in the climb be cause my Denver trained butt keeps saying "get the nose down!". Seeing MP above the green continuous operation box is weird. Having to pull the throttle back after takeoff, is weird. :) Dang.

182 with full long range tanks and two dudes and assorted training junk and bags, goes upstairs quick down here.

I'm used to being well off the end of the 10K' runway before having 400' AGL and turning, cleaning, etc. 230 HP at 1800' below sea level DA is a hoot! Feels way too steep though.

I also started speaking to myself out loud on the third flight. Jesse said it helps him know if I'm seeing things or just missing them. But mainly talking to myself helps me out so I'll be continuing that one.

(We talked a bit about what not to say when speaking to oneself witn a DPE aboard. Haha.)

Okay. G'night all. 0700 meet up! Passing out now. ;)

I have a spare sitting in my basement that I haven't started using yet if you want it. You can just replace it whenever. It's a Jeppesen professional logbook.

That's be cool. We also have to meet up sometime! ;)

There's one on the way here (same logbook) FedEx so it'd be an easy swap.

I'll PM ya my cell number, and appreciate the offer.

If the package from JeppDirect arrives quick it's not a big deal. Their website sucks but I figured I'd support the Denver "home" company directly vs ASA or Sporty's books and not through a reseller. But that website is mega-annoying. No confirmation that it shipped yet.

Probably arrive Tuesday.

Have fun, Jesse is a great CFII. think i saw you guys going missed on GPS 14 this afternoon.

You ever keyed up and rambled out something that makes absolutely no sense at all and is all out of order with your voice starting off normal and kinda rising like your asking yourself the question, "What the hell am I saying" as you unkey mid-sentence... And the controller still manages to figure out what you said anyway...

ROFL Yes!!!

Just an observation but why do you have a 182 with LR tanks if you've never left the mountains?

Ha i have definitely learned my lesson regarding coffee and flying. Always have an out. Like a large and empty gatorade bottle.

Glad you're making some serious progress!

Sounds like its going great Nate- thanks for the great write-ups along the way!

I owe you guys an update but too busy! :) Flew butt off last two days. Today we woke up to this.

aefd8c8f-5d60-a612.jpg

So I'm working on this...

aefd8c8f-5dd8-7259.jpg

And if things stay bad, more of this...

aefd8c8f-5e32-4be2.jpg

More later! :)

Spent the day "un-screwing" my logbook. There's light at the end of that tunnel and it isn't making choo-choo noises. ;)

Crazy ass weather. This made me laugh. The H's and L's are waiting for "my" stationary front to get out of the way. ;)

aefd8c8f-d6f1-ec8c.jpg

Continuous precip/mist here, low ceilings all 'round, for quite a ways (1/3 of the country - ha), forecast to warm up thru the night. Skew-T and Pireps are interesting.

Meeting w/ Jesse to get schooled on how to read this weather in a few minutes.

500-3 and +6 here. you guys coming down for supper?

Tony... tomorrow night work for you?

(I think you're already talking to Jesse...)

IFR XC to Witchita sounds fun if forecast holds/WX reasonable. :)

We just got done with two more flights. After looking over the weather we decided local would probably work with no icing below 6000.

Pireps backed that, and a bunch of other data including the Skew-T so we did more approaches here at LNK to start.

If any problems we'd return immediately to LNK. This is the current weather after landing. It was 400 OVC earlier...

Been warming and rising slowly. Continuous light rain with some bands of a little heavier.

aefd8c8f-3e46-a936.jpg

This is what it looked like just before the sun went down.

aefd8c8f-3e86-77b2.jpg

(Sorry crappy iPhone photo from moving car when I ran to grab food at 16:30.)

Continuous mist when we started turning to rain later.

Good news. 79M doesn't leak much if at all. Most Cessnas do. ;)

First flight was more work here at LNK. Radar vectors to the ILS 18, and the ANG tankers were out playing and behind us inbound and I didn't peddle fast enough... so "cancel approach, turn right heading 270 for sequence", no problem.

More practice. I'll putz along at 90 knots thanks. ;)

After that, out to the VOR and hold, then the VOR 17, then Radar vectors to the VOR to fly the LOC 18. Landed.

Jesse was hungry and I'm ridiculously hyper and talkative until my adrenaline comes down inbetween flights, so we made a run to grab him a burger then back up for more.

WX getting better as forecast, but rain getting harder. Full tanks again in case we need options, and off we go...

Jesse went hunting for a VOR/DME since we're non-RNAV, and we wandered over to KCEK.

Clearance Delivery was awesome and again, someone asking in bad weather for an old school DME Arc and asking for Radar Vectors to a radial outbound to one of the non-direct IAFs with the pre-planned expectation that we'd pop back up after a likely missed, woke up the late shift guys. "Cleared to Lincoln airport via radar vectors, maintain 3000."

Then they decided they wanted us West instead of East after we explained how we wanted to get to the East side of the two arcs.

"Amend clearance, fly heading 270 after departure to intercept the radial, maintain 3000."

They've been awesome all week. Lincoln's Approach controllers are over in Omaha so the phone lines were a-buzz -- it took about three go-arounds to figure out what we wanted to do with internal phone tag-ups with Omaha.

Sadly I'm so slow to get set up, it didn't matter. They were waiting on me to get on the runway and movin'. ;)

Got going and the DME arc wasn't too bad. Since my Lightspeed is off for repair, Jesse heard changes in the rain better as we flew along. I finally heard the bigger changes. Looking forward to ANR.

We've learned a very annoying thing about 79M...

Our AI we replaced a couple years ago has a tiny "lean" in level flight (when we first noticed it we both wondered if it was gonna roll over and die) and it almost erects after "leaning" a little to the right after an extended right turn.

Jesse isn't going to let me use it as an excuse, but it's definitely annoying as hell IFR, and you'd never even notice it at all VFR.

It's tiny and subtle except after right turns (holds). You *can* correct for it by watching the DG and TC on roll out but it tricks me constantly as a newbie. It eventually erects in level flight.

Hmm.

(Suck it up wimp!!! Haha.)

Our mechanic likes to set the vacuum regulator slightly below the middle of the green to "save" the gyros. At reduced power to hold 90 knots, vacuum is still in the green but on the low side.

(Maybe this AI just needs more sucking so it doesn't suck? :lol: )

I'm thinking turning it up may help the AI do its thing a little better. Or fail it faster. Who knows? ;)

Anyway, published missed approach at CEK and I finally hit an inbound radial rollout in the hold. That was nice. My holds have been squirrelly.

(Actually everything's been squirrelly. I'm fighting with a weird plateau where something will work great then I'll just lose it completely. Not quite sure what's triggering it. It's almost always a small distraction and a fixation on one instrument or just completely misreading something simple. It's odd. Jesse is very patient with my old, slow, brain.)

Tomorrow morning is looking rough weather-wise, so I'll finally finish up fixing the logbooks and auditing them against LogTen Pro.

Almost done. On to a happy logbook. Never again. Ugh. What a mess. Math errors in 1994 carry forward. Argh! But it's getting fixed and staying fixed.

Other news is I'm here until Sunday now.

WX kept me here and the boss and co-workers graciously said "stay". I reset the extended stay place but gotta call about the rental car.

Logistics. ;)

Bedtime. 0100 and all is well! Maybe see y'all in Kansas tomorrow night...

Hey Nate - sounds like you're having fun. Quit nit-picking the AI, cover it with a post-it and just fly with TC, Airspeed, and altimeter...:D

Note: I hated my AI and DG in training. Never really learned how to use the AI until just before my check ride. Like it better now with the Aspen but I know the vacuum AI (now in standby & autopilot duty) will try its best to get me to kill myself some day...

see you tonight. i think the weather is supposed to lift today sometime. 200-2 here now. Stearman I presume?

Hey Nate - sounds like you're having fun. Quit nit-picking the AI, cover it with a post-it and just fly with TC, Airspeed, and altimeter...:D

+1. I think after you get more comfortable and your scan picks up, you'll find yourself looking less and less at the AI. Especially during procedure turns and holds -- I found myself occupied with maintaining a standard rate turn and keeping an eye on the DG and timer, that I hardly noticed the AI.

so I'll finally finish up fixing the logbooks and auditing them against LogTen Pro.

Almost done. On to a happy logbook. Never again. Ugh. What a mess. Math errors in 1994 carry forward. Argh! But it's getting fixed and staying fixed.

Best advise I ever got after I went through my first round of logbook hell.
"ink for the entries, pencil for the totals"

Man, it's crazy good IFR weather around here right now. I just went out and flew the RNAV 34 into KSWT (had to go missed...just barely caught a glimpse of the runway as I was flying over it) and then I flew the ILS 36 back into KLNK. 1379 DA and when I spotted the approach lights I looked at my altimeter I was descending through 1400.

Best advise I ever got after I went through my first round of logbook hell.
"ink for the entries, pencil for the totals"

You too, huh? I didn't have to go through "logbook hell"...my primary instructor gave me that advice.

Just last week I found an error that I'd been carrying forward for over a year. Easy to correct when it's in pencil. Thanks, Colonel Al.

Last edited:
I don't even total them any more, I do that in Logbook Pro. My paper log is just my "proof" of stuff that requires signatures.

I *hate* changing approach plates in the App though. Noticeable delay in response on iPad 1.

Jesse's iPad 2 is significantly faster to respond.

You probably know this but just in case...(I certainly didn't)...pulled from the red board.

How many running programs did you have? When I fly, I close everything (double click the button, hold down on the program icon, and click the red close icon next to all running apps). Only FF, Cloudahoy, and my timer program are running while flying.

When I checked, every program I've ever run was running. Rebooting the machine doesn't even shut them down.

had a nice visit with Jesse and Nate tonight at Stearman field for a late supper

Back