Open Cockpit

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
Anyone have suggestions for a simple & cheap open-cockpit 2-seater meant for just putting around the local area slowly for fun?

'Cheap' is subjective, but for what you're describing, an aircam. I've never been in one, but the reports are the visibility and low/slow flight is off the charts

AirCam1.jpg

Ercoupe. The cockpit can be opened and closed in flight.

Ercoupe415C.jpg

'Cheap' is subjective, but for what you're describing, an aircam. I've never been in one, but the reports are the visibility and low/slow flight is off the charts

AirCam1.jpg

What is that?...saw one in Cancun a couple of weeks ago towing a banner down the beach....

Anyone have suggestions for a simple & cheap open-cockpit 2-seater meant for just putting around the local area slowly for fun?
Pietenpol is the classic choice.
pietenpol-01.jpg

Single-seaters like the Fly Baby are usually pretty cheap. The markets much weaker, so the prices don't go so high. One Fly Baby sold last year for $6,000. Took a couple days of A&P work (nothing unanticipated...it hadn't flown for ten years), but it was flown home ~200 miles that week.

Where a hangar door fell on it.

Fortunately, it's flying again.

Ron Wanttaja

The air am is a twin,need a multi rating. The recouped would be a good choice,still some around and they are slow.

Doesn't get any more open cockpit than a Breezy.

Keith

I came in here to suggest the Pietenpol Air Camper, but someone beat me to it. Two votes for the Piet.

AirCam1.jpg

That thing looks like a blast!

Eiper Quicksilver MXII on amphibs, tons of fun, easy on the wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frfly172
The air am is a twin,need a multi rating. The recouped would be a good choice,still some around and they are slow.

"I don't think you do with an Experimental."

Why wouldn't you need a multi rating to fly a twin engine experimental Twin Cam , it's not light sport.
That's like saying you don't need a private certificate to fly an experimental.

I believe you can solo without the rating, but, to carry passengers you need the rating, in this case both the multi and sea plane rating.

Some sort of powered parachute. No hangar, no airport needed. No steenken license either.:)

AirCam1.jpg

+1 on the Aircam, a guy at a local airport has a bright lime green one that he uses for this purpose as well as aerial photography.

StardusterIIs, Hatz, Spacewalker, Acrosport II, Acroduster II can all be had in the $25-35000 range for a nice airplane. An Aircam will cost over $100,000. Don

Some sort of powered parachute. No hangar, no airport needed. No steenken license either.:)

I'm seriously thinking about a powered parachute or a Quicksilver type. For pure enjoyment of flight with no other purpose on a nice summer evening, can't beat those types of machines. Only thing I don't like about them is the noise. If there were a good, solid electric-powered parachute with a quiet prop, I'd be all over it in a second.

A Challenger or Kolb would fit the bill also. I flew a Powered parachute quite a bit several years ago. They are really fun but they are calm weather flyers only. They get real interesting in gusty turbulent air. Be very careful buying an older two place "ultralight" that it has been certified in the experimental category and has an N number and airworthiness certificate. There are no 2 place ultralights anymore and there is no way to put an existing flying 2 place into the experimental category. I see them for sale all the time for cheap but they are illegal and will always be illegal. Don

You can take the doors off the Remos. Not quite open cockpit, but close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Challenger or Kolb would fit the bill also. I flew a Powered parachute quite a bit several years ago. They are really fun but they are calm weather flyers only. They get real interesting in gusty turbulent air. Be very careful buying an older two place "ultralight" that it has been certified in the experimental category and has an N number and airworthiness certificate. There are no 2 place ultralights anymore and there is no way to put an existing flying 2 place into the experimental category. I see them for sale all the time for cheap but they are illegal and will always be illegal. Don

:confused: Why couldn't I put an older MXII in experimental now? We did it 20 years ago.:dunno:

:confused: Why couldn't I put an older MXII in experimental now? We did it 20 years ago.:dunno:

When the FAA came out with the Sport Pilot rules they gave the existing 2 place and heavy ultralights a 3 year window to get them inspected and put into the experimental category. That expired in 2007 or 8 and any existing (flying) airplanes are no longer able to get an EAB airworthiness. Now if you build a say a Quicksilver MXII you can do it as an EAB but you have to be the builder of the airplane. Don

As someone has already mentioned, "cheap" is relative, but for the pure fun of slow and low -- as well as economical -- flying, I think gyroplanes are hard to beat. Some of them, though, will cruise at 90 knots or better.

As an example, below is a description of a nice one I found at Barnstormers.com. Note: I have no financial interest in this offer, except I'd like to have it myself if I could convince my wife that another gyroplane would be a better investment than, say, new patio furniture.

MTOSPORT AUTOGYRO • $59,500 • FOR SALE • N832TX AutoGyro MTOSport w/ Rotax 912 for sale. Garmin 695 GPS, Funkwerk ATR833-LCD and TRT800H-LCD Transponder, seat heater, dual controls, Autogyro cover, etc - 98 hours total • Contact Jason Knight - NORTH AMERICAN GYRO, Owner - located Pinehurst, TX USA • Telephone: 281-826-9005 . • Posted March 17, 2015 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

Last edited:
When the FAA came out with the Sport Pilot rules they gave the existing 2 place and heavy ultralights a 3 year window to get them inspected and put into the experimental category. That expired in 2007 or 8 and any existing (flying) airplanes are no longer able to get an EAB airworthiness. Now if you build a say a Quicksilver MXII you can do it as an EAB but you have to be the builder of the airplane. Don

Ah, got it, I wonder how many people would have failed to convert them though?:dunno:

There are a lot of them on Ebay and Craigs list. Just happened to see my FAA friend today and he said they get calls all the time from people that bought two place ultralights and want to find out how to register them. a little ticked off when they find out they bought a boat anchor. Don

There are a lot of them on Ebay and Craigs list. Just happened to see my FAA friend today and he said they get calls all the time from people that bought two place ultralights and want to find out how to register them. a little ticked off when they find out they bought a boat anchor. Don

Can I rebuild it and get a new repairman's certificate like with other experimentals and get one back in?

You might be able to say you bought a bunch of parts and put it together but you'd have to document it carefully. If you know a friendly DAR it would help. Don

Can I rebuild it and get a new repairman's certificate like with other experimentals and get one back in?

If you're talking about Experimental Amateur-Built certification, Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR), part 21, section 21.191(g), defines an amateur-built aircraft as an aircraft "the major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by person(s) who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation."

It's not just assembly, but also fabrication, you have to document to satisfy the "major portion" requirement to obtain an airworthiness certificate and qualify for the repairman's certificate.

Last edited:
Back