Oopsie....complex airspace.

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
Picked up a friend today at KCNO and flew over to KSMO. On the way there we got flight following and at the suggestion of ATC we made our route fly over KEMT so that we could stay a little higher and not be in the LAX Bravo. Flight was pretty quick and easy, but we ended up having to duck under a cloud layer for the last part, which was fine since the Bravo goes down to 2500 anyways.

On the way back I didn't pick up flight following, which is rare for me. Quick flight along the same path in similar conditions. So there I was all fat dumb and happy cruising along at 2200 to stay well clear of the bravo when I spot El Monte. At first I don't even think much of it until I look down at the chart on my tablet and realize that El Monte is a Class D airport, and I'm now well into their airspace. If you look at the pic of the chart I had a tiny little window after the 2500 Bravo floor ended and the 2400 ceiling for EMT started. I was so concentrated on the Bravo I totally missed the Delta.

Once I figured out what I had done I quickly climbed and dialed up EMT tower and made a quick call "El Monte Tower Mooney 6719N". Apparently they already knew who I was cause they just replied "Mooney 6719N transition approved, altitude now indicates 2600"

"Thank you, sorry about that, 19N"

Thankfully the controller wasn't in a bad mood, and admitting I screwed up was enough for them.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 464
It happens.

I was departing North Little Rock to the northeast in an open cockpit biplane that made unfolding and reading a sectional problematical. I was using a Garmin 496 to remain below the Little Rock Class C when I looked down and saw a REALLY long runway. OOPS! Almost over Little Rock AFB!

22556665860_932b6ff167_z.jpg

I kept my 1200 squawk and turned so as to get clear ASAP. Filed an ASRS report when I got home, about how on a Garmin one airspace alert can lead a pilot to avoid another if the airspace overlaps.

Never heard another word about it - whew!

It happens.

I was departing North Little Rock to the northeast in an open cockpit biplane that made unfolding and reading a sectional problematical. I was using a Garmin 496 to remain below the Little Rock Class C when I looked down and saw a REALLY long runway. OOPS! Almost over Little Rock AFB!

22556665860_932b6ff167_z.jpg

I kept my 1200 squawk and turned so as to get clear ASAP. Filed an ASRS report when I got home, about how on a Garmin one airspace alert can lead a pilot to ignore another if the airspace overlaps.

Never heard another word about it - whew!

An ASRS report might not be a bad idea in your case as well, if only for practice.

I fly that airspace regularly. Very easy to intrude on protected airspace. I worry about that almost every flight.

It's nice to have a copilot that understands aviation charts to help you fly. There's a lot to think about in those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
IIRC, 2600' was the safest to fly around SoCal (requires the least deviations for airspace.)

I'll bet you're not the first...may happen regularly for similar reasons... Might be the reason for the blaze' response from the controller...

I'd file a NASA report. Just because they let it go doesn't mean it can't be reviewed later and action taken.

I've had close calls myself. Here in FL, there are two Delta's with a small path between them that a Class E is in.

If you fly into KGIF you gotta sorta weave west and south if you can't climb fast enough to get above the Delta going SW. Coming in, it's not a big deal if you're on FF.

You also have the Orlando class Bravo directly to the N/NE. Nice airport but definitely have to be careful coming and going.

Attachments

• classd.JPG
    classd.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
99% of the time I'm on flight following, and that covers all the airspace transitions. In this case I let that comfort get the best of me. I'm so used to only paying attention to the bravos I didn't even think to watch out until I was already there. Thankfully I was nearly at the top of the airspace already and caught it in time to call them up and apologize. Live and learn.

..........On the way back I didn't pick up flight following........

Once I figured out what I had done I quickly climbed and dialed up EMT tower and made a quick call "El Monte Tower Mooney 6719N". Apparently they already knew who I was cause they just replied "Mooney 6719N transition approved, altitude now indicates 2600"

How do you think they knew that target was you? We're you squawking 1200?

How do you think they knew that target was you? We're you squawking 1200?

Depends, I used to fly in and out of LGB so much for 2 years and flew controllers in their "fly a controller" program that over a decade later and in plane with a new tail number I was on approach to go to the AOPA convention there and when the controller cleared me to land he said, "9SA clear to land RWY 31, welcome home Henning." Turns out he was one of the guys I would fly semi frequently. There really isn't that much GA traffic, and if you are an active local, the controllers start to recognize your voice.

My guess is they saw the climb immediately followed by the hurried contact, and guessed.

My guess as well. They can also see well outside of their airspace and probably saw me coming before I saw me coming.

I did my flight review yesterday and club aircraft checkout at same time with my CFII. We flew to SBA and used the LAX VFR coastal route on the way there which simplified matters and helped avoided busting Bravo airspace. Did an IFR flight on the way back. Was fun! It showed me the value of the instrument rating in busy airspace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back