Ooooohhhh Shiny Shiny!!!

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
We're in the very last stage of getting the club 182 painted and other big maintenance items fixed. I for one am very pleased with how the paint turned out.

This is the 182 that I mentioned in my "club shares for sale" thread.

Big maintenance items included replacing fuel bladders and fuel sending units, repair of cracks around main landing gear, fiberglass repair to nosebowl and cowl, new audio panel, and a few others.

Original paint scheme
IMG_0705.JPG

New Paint Scheme

261d3a10-4c05-4ae7-868d-97b2dddffe67.jpg
26f39750-9814-4731-833f-527dff5c0a40.jpg 1afd19d8-8531-4199-92db-6da0e0ec95f8.jpg 2997d12f-f65d-4d7a-bf5b-6cf2cbe8c867.jpg

Attachments

• e98b43e2-e69e-4e5b-933d-7a1d72e8ca20.jpg
    e98b43e2-e69e-4e5b-933d-7a1d72e8ca20.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 93
Looks great, Mike...but why do paintshops insist on using upsidedown Ms for Ws? Looks really FUBAR IMO and I see it often.

Is there some aviation reason for this?

It's lookin' good Mike. Hope to see you, and it, at the next Young Eagles event. Shares still available in the club?

One share available. When is the next event? Somehow I fell off EAA34's email list.

Nice. I do agree with @timwinters though, the M flipped upside down looks weird. Doesn't look like a W should look.

But I'd fly it! :)

Looks great, Mike...but why do paintshops insist on using upsidedown Ms for Ws? Looks really FUBAR IMO and I see it often.

I never would have noticed it, but now that I have I cannot unsee it.

She looks great, Mike!

Does this mean I can start talking like an old fogey and say "I remember Whiskey Bravo when she was RED"?

Yeah, looks super! It might even look better with a dark blue spinner to match the cowl, but beautiful none the less!

She looks great, Mike!

Does this mean I can start talking like an old fogey and say "I remember Whiskey Bravo when she was RED"?
I hope you meant to say MAROON!

Yeah, looks super! It might even look better with a dark blue spinner to match the cowl, but beautiful none the less!
Painting or adorning the spinner was discussed. But Group decided to stay with white. Personally I wanted a spiral.

Shoulda mentioned.... Painter was David Thibodeaux of Flying T Ranch near McKinney, TX.

He did our Bonanza a few years ago. And he does work for Van Bortel. www.flyingtranch.com

Last edited:
Now if it would just quit freaking RAINING so we can remove her from the grass runway where she is marooned!!

No kidding.... all these decades living in Texas and we just now are discovering we have a Monsoon Season.

I think we're both out of pax and night currency because we had to patiently wait so long to get her back.

Not sure what font you may be using on your computer but on mine the W is an inverted M

W - angled sides.
M - straight sides.

ec844e64ffd90a5a51a3d5f275d3c4b8.jpg

Very pretty! I agree that the W looks way wrong though. I wouldn't be happy about that.

Will the pants be painted to match?

If you look at the original paint, the 'M' was the 'inverted W' also, so it will be no change for us. Meh, I couldnt care less personally.

The pants will be painted to match. White, like the rest of the plane...

And unless something changes, Mike and I are flying her back home around noon. Yipee!!

If you look at the original paint, the 'M' was the 'inverted W' also, so it will be no change for us. Meh, I couldnt care less personally.

They are different though... If you look a the two W's the old one has the center point about midway up on the W, the new one goes all the way to the top. I think that's what is catching people's eyes. Either way, the plane looks good!

Very funny. Particularly considering that in the default font (at least the one on my screen) on POA, a W looks exactly like the M upside down with slants on both, center point at the top/bottom.
What is the default font?
Arial: M W
Book Antiqua: M W

Courier New M W
Veranda: M W
Tahoma: M W
Trebuchet MS: M W - ah-ha! There it is.

And unless something changes, Mike and I are flying her back home around noon. Yipee!!

Now where did I put my book....?

Teach Yourself to Fly.jpg

Since we're departing from a soft field that will be a bit wet, hopefully it won't be

e3ab9bb7ca577df0e88da21c96cf8da1.jpg

Mike, are you gonna be able to make the next YE event @ GKY? I'll be flying the Cub this time, should be fun :cool:

You guys really don't get the "M" versus "W" paint job. This is obviously a present from the painter to avoid accurate identification for those pilots that don't know to only make a single pass on buzz jobs:p:D:eek:

Mike, are you gonna be able to make the next YE event @ GKY? I'll be flying the Cub this time, should be fun :cool:
I sent Michelle and Jo Anne an email asking to be put on the pilot roster.

Beautiful (though I, also, liked the red and grey scheme it had before).

Painting or adorning the spinner was discussed. But Group decided to stay with white. Personally I wanted a spiral.
Typical "group think paint job". Boring

If I ever have a chance to get an airplane repainted, it's going to be distinctive!

Typical "group think paint job". Boring

If I ever have a chance to get an airplane repainted, it's going to be distinctive!

Distinctive is nice if its a one or two owner plane. With 16 people I'm just glad we managed to agree on ANY paint scheme!

And we DID get her home to DTO yesterday! Best soft field TO of my short flying career.

I think it looks great. Now enjoy messing up the leading edges with bugs as you fly the heck out of it.

Now enjoy messing up the leading edges with bugs as you fly the heck out of it.
Side benefit of the new paint was that the bugs came off much easier than the old paint.

And I agree, it was a very well executed soft field take off. I was I. The right seat as he did it.

Back