Online prescriptions for medications

O

Ouchytoe

So a friend of mine has this problem. Infrequent gout attacks. He is out of Colchicine. He wants some on hand for the next time it happens. The doctor won't prescribe Colchicine if he is not currently in the process of having a gout attack. The next time he has a gout attack is not the time to waiting for days if not weeks for a doctor's appointment for a visit so he can get a prescription. It's one of those things that, if you nip it in the bud immediately, it works well and you don't need to take much. If you wait, even hours, it becomes a bigger problem.

There are ads for online prescription services. I don't know how it works but I guess they have pools of licensed doctors that review online symptom forms and issue prescriptions, so the company can legally send the meds to you.

Anybody have any experience with this? Recommendations?

if it is as presented then maybe it's time to see a different doctor. my wife has a script for a condition that is acute, not chromic.

Before getting a new doctor, find out why they won’t prescribe it to keep it around to take when there is an attack.

One possible reason… if you have had repeated attacks, it may be that your uric acid level is quite high…even between attacks. The correct action in this case is to take a medicine all of the time to lower that level. Even if you aren’t having attacks, the high uric acid levels may be causing joint damage. Or even kidney damage. In this case, only treating the flares with colchicine is bad medicine.

If your baseline uric acid levels are normal or just a little high and long-term therapy isn’t necessary, your provider should give you a prescription to keep around. When I prescribe colchicine I always make the prescription for enough to treat the flare, plus a couple of refills. If they call me for a refill before a year or so, it lets me know that they are having gout often enough that I need to figure out why and act accordingly..

Anonymous posting on behalf of a friend.....

Your "friend" really should talk to his doctor, or find a new one, rather than going to a different provider behind the doctor's back to get drugs. That's sketchy. Why would the doctor refuse to prescribe medicine for a chronic condition known to flare up? Why would he make you wait days or weeks to get treatment for an acute condition that indicates early intervention? Unless he's just a lousy doctor, he's got to have a reason.

Let me rephrase the question. "Does anyone have experience with online prescription drug sites and are they legit."

As to the issues raised:

You should see another doctor. Easier said than done, in a big box corporate medical structure with fixed policies. They all came out of the same stamping press.

You are treating a chronic condition with an acute medication. A refill of colchicine literally lasts him two years. Is a two year continuous dose of alopurinol really a good idea given that? (I doubt it.)

One possible reason is elevated levels of uric acid.... Valid point, I say on behalf of my friend in my best East Indian accent. Raj should probably lay off the lamb samosas and Kingfisher beer. Again, frequency of need.

Bear in mind there may be other reasons for going online for medications. Competitive prices for non-insured, geography, etc. How many oldsters... elders, what is the PC term for them, persons of age? Travel across the border to Mexico to pick up their prescription medications (where a prescription is irrelevant) so they won't spend their life savings on their medications? Sketchy? I suppose.

I don't know anything about online prescriptions. But I do know a little bit about Colchicine. That's a dangerous drug, as I'm sure your friend knows. What you might try doing, rather than generic prescription places is find a doctor that will prescribe it based on future need, either in person or after a telemedicine visit. I say that because I can see the hurdle for that medication being higher than that of something like an allergy medication.

I don't know anything about online prescriptions. But I do know a little bit about Colchicine. That's a dangerous drug, as I'm sure your friend knows. What you might try doing, rather than generic prescription places is find a doctor that will prescribe it based on future need, either in person or after a telemedicine visit. I say that because I can see the hurdle for that medication being higher than that of something like an allergy medication.
What is dangerous about Colchicine?
Not being argumentative, just ignorant.

Tell him he needs a new doc,and he should go on allopurinol, then he won't have gout attacks. Gout damages joints.

Healthwarehouse.com out of Kentucky. I’ve used for few years. Very professional, above board, and prices on many drugs can’t be beat.

What is dangerous about Colchicine?
Not being argumentative, just ignorant.

Depending on how it's used, effective dose can be fairly close to toxic dose. If someone is taking it for symptom relief, it's possible to get 'behind the curve' so to speak, and seriously poison themselves. I've never used it, but had a parent that did. Quick google says that they do dosages differently now than in the past, so perhaps this doesn't come up as often these days.

Online prescription services still need to have a doctor's prescription to fill a prescription medicine. Some may provide that prescription, but usually not on the basis of good medicine. I'd stay away from that process if you already have a legitimate diagnosis and are under the care of a doctor you know.

What if you go online, get a medication, have an adverse effect and need to go to your own doctor who wouldn't fill it in the first place? You've likely alienated your own doctor. I'd either convince your existing doc to fill it, or find out exactly why he won't.

Getting a script filled on line is one thing.

Getting a prescription on line is extremely not advisable IMHO. Going across the border to get a script and a fill made by who knows whom - is beyond insane IMHO.

Tell your friend that he can get it taken care of - just either get his doctor to give him a "rescue" amount that needs to be refilled after a flare, or find another solution. The solution you're currently tracking on is fraught with far too much downside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back