Online Ground School opinions

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I've looked (briefly) at both American Flyers and Sporty's online ground school for IR. Sporty's appears to be a full ground school. American Flyer's doesn't call it test prep intensive, but it looks like it might be.

Anybody with experience with either of these (or other recommendations)?

John

The "cleared for takeoff" school that's paired by Cessna and King is quite good, but I don't know if it's available unless you're learning at a Cessna Pilot Center.

Currently using the King online IR course and am enjoying it. Can't tell you yet if it is good or not. :wink2:

I like the Gold Seal online stuff also. The Sporty's, not so much. Their on line "study budy" is really just test prep. The DVDs really don't have the depth, I don't think, to be all that valuable for ground school.

I am using the Sporty's on line to determine where my weak spots are, then the (free, and very thorough) Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge to learn what I need to. So far it's working pretty well.

I used the Gleim on-line ground school as a refresher and it was comprehensive and I recommend it. I believe the cost is $99.

I used Gleim for my PP and I was quite pleased - but I only used it for test prep, which is what it's for. I might very well use it again for my IR, but again for test prep. I'm looking for a more comprehensive ground school.

When I did my PP the local community college offered a 10 hour ground school class. It was excellent. Alas, the 2 year community colleges have all be come 4 year state colleges and they no longer offer any of the community classes.

What little I've seen of the King stuff looks to corny for me. (I don't care for Rod Machiado either. It's just a personal taste thing.)

I will check the references above and see what looks good. Thanks for the input.

John

If you have extra cash to burn these schools will save you a little time. If you're on a budget, simply lay out $20 or so for an ASA or Gliem book. They will get the job done.

Doc

I have decided to use the American Flyers course. Preps when I've had some experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Upon further review... the American Flyers course requires MS FS X and a computer capable of running it. Since I don't currently own one, I'm going to try the one Jeanie recommended. Pireps when I've gotten through some of it.

Another plus is that I can use it on my iPad.

John

If you have questions as things come up, you can post them here, or PM me. I'm sure some of the other CFIs or GIs will be happy to help. I love online learning but every now and then a "real" teacher is needed.

Thanks Tim. I heartily agree about a real instructor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back