Online ground school for teenager

LanceS

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LanceS
My 15 year-old son is about to start his flight training. Does anybody have recommendations for an online ground school that is appealing to a teen?

I’ve always used the King Schools and enjoy them. However, I’m not sure their outdated videos and grandparent humor resonate with today’s youth. Leading contenders so far include Gold Seal and Sporty’s since they have great videos and allow the instructor to follow along. Other options I’ve explored are MzeroA and Fly8MA but I’m open to any ideas.

Any recommendations from those who’ve trained teenagers would be greatly appreciated.

My 15 year-old son is about to start his flight training. Does anybody have recommendations for an online ground school that is appealing to a teen?

I’ve always used the King Schools and enjoy them. However, I’m not sure their outdated videos and grandparent humor resonate with today’s youth. Leading contenders so far include Gold Seal and Sporty’s since they have great videos and allow the instructor to follow along. Other options I’ve explored are MzeroA and Fly8MA but I’m open to any ideas.

Any recommendations from those who’ve trained teenagers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure Russ Still will be along shortly but Gold Seal lets you take a free test drive. Have your son try it out.

I recommend Russ Still's program ( @write-stuff ). I participated in an early edition (2014). Wife took the program in 2016.

I was very happy with his prompt responses to questions. I would often send a question late at night and still get a brisk answer.

Even though I'm not taking any courses these days, I still occasionally seek guidance from Russ. He's a fine instructor, and he has a strong team.

A free option is Checkride Prep

Next course begins Nov. 30. I joined one of their first sessions for a refresher.

They do offer certain paid services, being a business and all, but I found it an interactive method of instruction and questions can be asked in a side chat and are usually answered by others in the course or moderators.

https://groundschoolacademy.com/

I'm sure that your son will enjoy Jason's ground school. Check out his YouTube videos first. I realize he has a few haters on this forum but he does an excellent job explaining things. You might want to take a look.

Tons of free resources spread across Youtube as well. MZeroA, The Finer Points, Gold Seal, Fly8MA, Aviation101, Fly the Wing, Flight Chops, LewDix, AngleofAttack, and more.

Not discrediting the paid courses at all, just saying I had a great time learning from a variety of places and getting many different perspectives from different CFIs and/or students documenting their lessons, and it all cost me zero dollars. The paid courses definitely dive deeper than what each channel has available for free, but between them all it's easy to cover all of the bases. Both with ground tasks like flight planning as well as learning the mechanics of the maneuvers in the cockpit.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Gold Seal mentions. And yes, LanceS, your son should take the free test drive. No sales pitch needed. He can sign up, check it out for free, and decide for himself if he likes it.

www.GroundSchool.com

For full ground school, Sporty's is solid. While I respect the Kings greatly, I share your concern that the today's younger audiences may have a hard time getting past the dated presentation style and humor. And as much as I respect Rod Machado, I fear the same of his style. It's kind of a shame because the information is so good you hate to see it get lost in the delivery.

As far as newer ground school offerings, I did a trials the MZeroA and Fly8MA private courses to refresh my knowledge after 17 years off. Meh...not my favorite, even when the Fly8MA course was free. I am a fan of Chris Palmer's (Angle of Attack) and Jason Miller's (The Finer Points) stuff on YouTube/Podcast. I am very intrigued by Jason Miller's new ground school app. As soon as get past my CFI ride next week, I really want to demo that app.

Here's an interesting little exercise. Ground reference maneuvers from four different sources that were mentioned. A good comparison of teaching styles.
An opinion poll would be interesting, but I don't know how, or even if, I can add one.

Last edited:
King's is dated, what with its 80's quality VHS graphics and its Seinfeld type transition between sections electric guitar riffs, and yes it is like listening to your grand parents. BUT - that might not be bad for a teenager? Sometimes kids listen a lot to grandparents, etc. When I listen to Martha, I feel like I need to pay attention more. And the people they interact with seem to be to be my older aunts. (And I'm 60).

It is supposed to be educational, and not entertainment after all.

I've also heard Sporty's is good if you don't want the grandmother with the perm.

Now, if the guy who does "Just Plane Silly" would do his own training videos......

Now, if the guy who does "Just Plane Silly" would do his own training videos......
Yea, he could do a dead serious, consistent with the actual physics, video on a topic like lift and most pilots would assume that it is humor because it would be nothing like what they were taught...

I've actually got the King VHS tapes in my closet from when my dad was learning 25 years ago. Now if only I could find a vcr... As a kid I got a kick out of watching them (more emulation than anything), but even as an 8 year old remember thinking these things are OLD!

Never could stand to listen to Martha for very long.

Agreed! I'm a Lifetime Access member and love it :)

A free option is Checkride Prep

Next course begins Nov. 30. I joined one of their first sessions for a refresher.

They do offer certain paid services, being a business and all, but I found it an interactive method of instruction and questions can be asked in a side chat and are usually answered by others in the course or moderators.

I always loved the Kings' quirky sense of humor. I enjoyed their courses.

Back