One step closer.....

CONGRATS!

Hope to hear you in the pattern or practice areas (122.75) at DVT soon (with passengers aboard, after passing that checkride!). :)

-----

EDIT: Jeez, I hope this isn't a sign of old age, but I just realized that I already replied to this message a while back. Darn! I hate that I am over 30.

OLD AGE!!!............... OVER 30??? Yeah..............I'll be watching for you around DVT after that comment. :p What's the saying "Check your six" ? :D

OLD AGE!!!............... OVER 30??? Yeah..............I'll be watching for you around DVT after that comment. :p What's the saying "Check your six" ? :D
Sheri, you've got nothing to worry about. You just need to share some of that water next time I'm out that way! :)

I hope to make it to Scottsdale this summer or fall. :fcross:

Congrats!

I think some people are perplexed by the lack of training/usage/understanding of the ADF. I have one in my plane and NEVER turn it on (well except to list to the local AM station).

Does it work? Sure. Can I re-educate myself on it? Yup.

But why? True, true they are here NOW, but all NDB's are slated to be decommissioned. Heck the FAA wants to decommission VOR's (though that one is a ways off).

So sure, go ahead and keep yourself schooled if you have the time and inclination, but know that within about five years (from what I hear) NDB's will be gone.

Congrats!

I think some people are perplexed by the lack of training/usage/understanding of the ADF. I have one in my plane and NEVER turn it on (well except to list to the local AM station).

Does it work? Sure. Can I re-educate myself on it? Yup.

But why? True, true they are here NOW, but all NDB's are slated to be decommissioned. Heck the FAA wants to decommission VOR's (though that one is a ways off).

So sure, go ahead and keep yourself schooled if you have the time and inclination, but know that within about five years (from what I hear) NDB's will be gone.
I understand NDB's aren't as prominent but it pays to know to use it. As of yet, I believe if it's in the plane used for your IR ride you can be required to perform one.

As for VORs it's a foolish move to take away those as a ground-based back to GPS. But I'm betting the Queen of user fees is in favor of it.

As a side note, or question, wasn't major AM broadcast stations with call letters once identified on sectionals? I'm thinking a couple decades ago.

I understand NDB's aren't as prominent but it pays to know to use it. As of yet, I believe if it's in the plane used for your IR ride you can be required to perform one.
If an ADF is installed and operational, the examiner can require you to fly an NDB approach as one of your two nonprecision approaches. In my experience as an itinerant instrument flight instructor, the number of working ADF's in folks' airplanes is rapidly diminishing; they rarely survive the installation of a GPS.

As a side note, or question, wasn't major AM broadcast stations with call letters once identified on sectionals? I'm thinking a couple decades ago.
Yes, they were, but no longer.

Am I the only one that rents from an FBO run by old school folks that have working ADFs in every single airplane on the line?

Sheri's a bit backwards, she bought a plane, then decided to take lessons...:p

Last edited:
Sheri's a bit backwards, she bought a plane, then decided to take lessons...:p

No, you want backwards...

First my dad bought a tractor to mow the airfield he didn't own.
Then he bought the airfield, which he didn't have an airplane to fly into it with.
Then he rented a hangar at our home base without having a plane to put in it.
Then he got a plane without having the skills necessary to fly it.
Now he's taking lessons to fly the plane out of the hangar to the airfield which he owns and has a tractor for.

i know lots of people who bought their planes and then learned to fly in it. ive never heard anyone wish they hadnt...

i know lots of people who bought their planes and then learned to fly in it. ive never heard anyone wish they hadnt...

I always thought it was a good idea, but then, I think everyone should have a twin...

Back