One of those great flights

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
I took a flight today and it was just one of those flights that made me think to myself "Man am I just so lucky I get to do this!" Do any of you have a special flight that makes you think this?

I'll tell you all about mine. I booked my favorite rental for today from 11-3, 4 hours-- just enough time to get a nice XC in. I got up this morning and boy was it cold. Winter certainly came in the Northeast. I like winter flying as the visibility is usually amazing and, even though today was an exception, the airport's tend to be a bit less crowded. Anyway, forecasts were for clear skies so I figured it was worth braving the cold!

On my way to the airport I gave the Briefer a call. I was greeted with a not to pleasant guy who, maybe was bummed to be working on a Sunday and he gave me a very brief briefing-- like barely 5 minutes. He confirmed what I already knew, clear skies unlimited visibility, wonderful flying conditions. Got to the airport and filled in the required paperwork, got the keys and clipboard from the desk( sometimes an accomplishment in and of itself) and made my way out to the plane. The wind was certainly welcoming and the plane was parked in the shade of the hanger so I made a pre-flight that was complete but I did not waste time! During the pre-flight, I always sump the fuel and then climb up to the top of the wing to dump it back in and check the caps are secured. Well today,the wind got the best of me and after sumping the fuel, I placed the strainer on the cowling to free my right hand so I could grab the handle to help myself up. Well just as I did that, the wind gusted and the strainer went flying and the gas spilled all down my pants( luckily it was not much fuel as the strainer is small... I made that rookie mistake!) With the pre-flight now down, I climbed on board and I was ready to start the engine. Now us Northerners know that starting a plane in the winter is not always so simple. Things don't work as well in the cold but, much to my surprise, the engine turned over first try and so I taxied to the runway. ASOS reported winds gusting to 20 but straight down the runway. I was not worried in the least. The airport was busy and I knew I had to squeeze my way out or else the Hobbs would just keep ticking as I waited at the hold short line. Got the runup done and got myself ready to wait, when my good fortune began. With about 6 planes in and around the pattern a Cherokee said he was turning base. Now was my chance, so I politely got on the CTAF and asked the Cherokee if I could squeeze on out. He said "sure no problem you got time." Ok-- " 172 taking runway 33 straight out departure." With that, my spectacular trip began!

The plan was always to head to KBAF ( Barnes airport.). I've made this flight probably 10 times before. I always love this flight for a number of reasons:
1. The flight is a perfect 2 or so on the Hobbs( not too expensive but worth it.).
2. The flight requires some skill as you have to go through Bradley's class C and that requires some communication with ATC.
3. Barnes is a terrific airport with a great resturant.

So once airborne, it is clear that NY approach is a mad house. Constant chatter filled with pilots blocking each other's calls. I started thinking I would never get flight following but I just went for it. What do you know, ATC gives me flight following and I'm all set up on the first call! Amazing!!! If you've flown in New York airspace on a busy day you know what I mean.

The flight up to Barnes was smooth and visibility was unlimited! As soon as I leveled off at 5,500 I could see Hartford CT( about 60nm's away!). New York approach awitched me to an equally busy Bradley approach and I was told to fly the 1-19 transition over Bradley. No big deal I was expecting that. I got to about 9 miles South of the BAF when I was switched to Westfield tower( Barnes.) The controllers and Barnes are honestly the most friendly group of controllers ever. I'm greeted with a pleasant first communication and told to make a left base to runway 33 report 2 out. Ok sounds good to me. About 6 miles later, tower comes back and says "if you'd like, runway 2 is also available. We can't seem to chase the wind down here correctly but it looks like runway 2 is now favored would you like that?" I think to myself, straight in, 9,000 feet of runway as opposed to 5,000, shorter approach and a few less minutes on the Hobbs?!?!! Sure I'm in! So I respond "sure that works well for me." I get the cleared to land and make a solid landing on runway 2-- the wind was gusty for sure but not a huge crosswind. Taxi to resturant parking and the ramp is loaded. I squeezed in between two low wings( a beautiful archer painted in a red, white and blue-- I love that scheme and a bonanza equally well kept.- my rental looked out of place for sure!).

I parked, got out, went inside and had a terrific lunch at a packed resturant!

I arrived at 1228 into the resturant and asked for a menu. Now I had flown up here expecting lunch( they make an amazing dry rub chicken tenders that I really wanted.). I sat down and the bartender said," well it's breakfast for now." I asked, "well when's lunch?" and she said "At 1230!" I said "ok I'll wait 2 minutes then I'll order!" She chuckled as did I and I was able to get what I wanted!

After lunch I had an amazing flight back as the sun was low on the horizon, and with smooth skies and insane visibility( I could see the Manhattan sky line from 50 miles east!). Landed back at my home airport, tied the plane down, filled in the paper work on the clipboard, walked inside and, admittedly reluctantly, handed back the clipboard and the keys. I walked to my car and sat inside for a few minutes with a smile on my face and I just kept looking at the ramp at the plane I had just flown over 160nm's on a beautiful day and thought to myself, "man I am so lucky to be able to do this and I can't wait to do it again!"

Nice writeup! I feel that way almost every time I fly.

This morning was a little crazy, flying into a busy nontowered (French Valley) to get some breakfast. Planes coming in from six directions, all at once! The mental map of where they all were in and around the pattern was filling up fast.

I flew over midfield at about 1000" above TPA and announced a teardrop entry to the 45. Another guy was on the 45, and announced it just as I was entering the 45. I hate that. We both saw each other...he was slightly above and behind me, a few hundred yards back (bubble canopies are nice that way). He said he'd extend downwind, so I did a semi-short approach, came in high and landed a bit long. Turns out he didn't extend base all that much, so spacing was too tight and he went around. It all worked out in the end...good practice.

A beautiful, clear, near windless day in SoCal...so different than yesterday. Corona saw an 88-mph gust, hurricane force from the Santa Ana winds.

I just had one of those the other day when I flew to North Myrtle Beach, SC. Left 30* weather and 3 hrs later (what is usually a 9 or 10 hour drive) I was sitting beachside on a patio at a restaurant in 70* sunshine.

I walked to my car and sat inside for a few minutes with a smile on my face and I just kept looking at the ramp at the plane I had just flown over 160nm's on a beautiful day and thought to myself, "man I am so lucky to be able to do this and I can't wait to do it again!"

But, are you sure you turned the master off. Hmmmm? :popcorn:

:needpics:

(Almost useless :biggrin:)

Bring the camera along next time! There's no such thing as too many aviation pictures.

Pffft, OVC700 here. Glad you got some nice flying in!

I love those flights! Every now and then it's just one of those moments flying along and you're like "wow this great" I live for those moments!

:needpics:

(Almost useless :biggrin:)

Bring the camera along next time! There's no such thing as too many aviation pictures.

I always have my phone camera out and I snapped off a few. When I get by a computer( I'm posting from my phone) I'll post a few. They are nothing special but still pretty!

Pics added below!

Attachments

• IMG_1163.JPG
    IMG_1163.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1161.JPG
    IMG_1161.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1160.JPG
    IMG_1160.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited: