One of our new projects....

flyingmoose

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Flyingmoose
Well we found this little gem sitting in a hanger with the paint stripped and waiting to die. It was last annualed in 1992. Owner decided to strip the paint and I guess he lost interest :mad:

Well we will see what we can do to get her going again. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_00000343.jpg
    IMG_00000343.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_00000344.jpg
    IMG_00000344.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 144
Now why can't I run accross something like that?

Have fun with it, and git 'er goin'!

But take special care of the engine. Those Lycs don't like to sit that long, but some survive.

Is that a Cherokee? You may have a $30k airplane that needs $50 k in repairs and refurbishment.

Good luck with the project,like to see old airplanes being saved.

Glad to see you have the Cherokee in the hanger. Was hoping to stop by but had a very busy weekend. (House is listed finally)

Now why can't I run accross something like that?

Have fun with it, and git 'er goin'!

But take special care of the engine. Those Lycs don't like to sit that long, but some survive.
Sometimes its a good thing, sometimes not. :) Might have another couple coming in next week.

Is that a Cherokee? You may have a $30k airplane that needs $50 k in repairs and refurbishment.
Maybe, but we will have to see. I own the shop and I have some great help.

Good luck with the project,like to see old airplanes being saved.
Thanks, I like to get them going again too. I find its harder to get these owners to release them. I think they would rather be buried in it than let someone else enjoy them. And yes I have heard that before.

Glad to see you have the Cherokee in the hanger. Was hoping to stop by but had a very busy weekend. (House is listed finally)
Good to hear. We should be going to VA this weekend if the weather holds.

Good for you. My daughter asked about the poor, ugly, overgrown Bo tied down across the ramp from us, and we had a discussion about emotional attachment leading to lunacy when it comes to airplanes: "That's just stupid."

For a teenager with no interest in little airplanes, she's pretty smart. :D

If it's sat for that long, pull it apart for rebuild. If you want to confirm your guesses, pull a cylinder off and look at your lobes. Hopefully you can find an engine shop that will let you participate in the process.
Best,
Brian

If it's sat for that long, pull it apart for rebuild. If you want to confirm your guesses, pull a cylinder off and look at your lobes. Hopefully you can find an engine shop that will let you participate in the process.
Best,
Brian
Thanks Brian, except we are way ahead of you. I don't need any shop to let me participate, its in my own! :rolleyes:

I will have some updates on this one soon, attention has changed to some other projects.

Well things might have changed a bit for our little Cherokee friend. After further review she is going to be getting a new cam.:rolleyes:
At the moment I have too many other projects coming in, so it might be a while till I can get back to it.

Attachments

• IMG_00000347.jpg
    IMG_00000347.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_00000384.jpg
    IMG_00000384.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_00000387.jpg
    IMG_00000387.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_00000386.jpg
    IMG_00000386.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56

While this is true, you could easily wind up with a better than new aircraft for a fraction of the price of a new one. That said, if you smash it up you loose pretty big time. Then again, when's the last time anyone did any real damage to a Cherokee in Western Ohio?

I look at the nature of the pitting on that cam carefully and begin to wonder if its even avoidable.

I don't know a lot of the history behind it. I believe it was new when installed, but the A/C has sat for 19years. It had multiple spots on it like the one I took a pic of. I was actually shocked, because when I pulled the jug originally the cam still had oil film on it. IDK

Look from the picture that the oil had separated at the spot of the corrosion. did it appear dry when you pulled it?

I don't know a lot of the history behind it. I believe it was new when installed, but the A/C has sat for 19years. It had multiple spots on it like the one I took a pic of. I was actually shocked, because when I pulled the jug originally the cam still had oil film on it. IDK

That’s what I mean. Is it really preventable or manufacturing anomalies?

Its a fair question.... I don't know. Im sure there could be a discussion either way.

Any spalling on the lifters? Is that spot where the cam was in contact with the follower?
I dunno where you found that bird, but from what we can see I think that, for sitting 19 years, the innards look darn good. If the oil film lasted that long, I wanna know what the owner was running!

No actually there was none on the lifter faces, but there was a bit of corrosion on the bodies themselves. I thought the same thing that maybe it was where they were sitting against the lifters, but It was hard for me to say as the engine had been moved many times before we actually split it.

Owner told me that he ran mineral oil through it before he put it away. I don't know if that is true or not. Last overhaul was 1971! lol

Back