One more reason I'm thankful to be an American

Laurie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Penguin
An article I came across this week. Gulf Helicopters is one of our S92 customers and I've had the opportunity to work with some of their pilots. I cannot imagine growing up in this type of culture.

Woman pilot’s bumpy ride
Web posted at: 11/20/2007 3:57:48
Source ::: The Peninsula/ By Zahra Hassan
Qatar’s first copter pilot reveals her battle for acceptance

Doha • Success has a price. The same holds true for the first Qatari woman pilot, who made history when she became the only Arab female to fly a helicopter, but societal pressure and ridicule has stopped her from enjoying this unique achievement.

Says Munira Al Dosri, 25: “It all began with an interview I gave to a local paper which carried my picture in pilot’s uniform. It angered people so much that I became a target of ridicule.”

Speaking at the stall of the Gulf Helicopter Company at the Qatar Career Fair, Munira said she had received threatening phone calls after the interview appeared.

“All phone calls had a similar message to convey. People were telling me they felt ashamed to see me without the abaya and veil (Qatari women’s traditional attire). They told me they were ashamed of me being a Qatari woman,” she said.

Munira graduated from Presto College, Florida, USA, and started working at Gulf Helicopter Company as a pilot. “This is the way I used to dress while I was studying in the US. I don’t want to lie to myself and to people here by acting someone else. I just want to be myself, but I think many people (not my family) didn’t like that,” she told The Peninsula yesterday.

“I want society to realise how important it is to respect people’s personal freedom. I believe that we are living in a society which has a mindset which would take long to change. People here should learn to respect others’ freedom.”

Munira refused to pose for a photograph and said: “Now I am slowing down. I can’t change society overnight, so it is better to avoid problems as much as possible. I was asked by many TV channels for interviews but I said no to all of them,” she said.

Munira cited the case of her Saudi woman friend who is also a pilot — the first woman pilot in her country. “What shocks me is that this Saudi friend of mine has not faced any social opposition while appearing in public in her pilot’s uniform. On several occasions she has appeared on television and nobody has talked against her. You go to the Internet and type my name and you will see how my own people are discouraging me instead of supporting me,” she said.

The opposition she met, however, did not stop her from enjoying her work. “I am doing more than three flights a day. I am looking forward to completing my studies and become a full-fledged pilot. Right now I am only an assistant,” she said.

“I believe that in this world there are many people who hate success and I think this is the price I have to pay,” bemoaned Munira. “My family, especially my parents, are very understanding and supportive. Thanks to them, I am able to carry on with my profession and focus on what I’m doing.”

Gulf Helicopter is keen to woo more Qatari nationals to join it since currently it has only 16 Qatari pilots in its employment.

I don't suppose Qatar has any sort of "equal rights" clause in their laws?

1838 maybe, not 1938. By 1938 my grandmother had her master's degree - good luck seeing a woman getting that far in Qatar at all.

Of course, my grandmother was something of an exception. Trying to be a female pilot in 1938 would be a bit harder.

I have no tolerance for societies that put restrictions in that don't allow any particular sect (be it women, people from a particular background, etc.) the freedom to progress or do as they wish. However it is true that such changes can't be forced, and we are looking at a several hundred year (minimum) time until those societies do change. This is one area where western influence can't come soon enough...

Actually, I have always felt that aviation has historically been very friendly to women and minorities. Check out 1921 and Bessie Coleman. I thought that I would stop cutting and pasting at 1939, but not before I included Willa Brown. In 1939, Willa couldn't even use the same restroom as a white woman, but she could fly an airplane. I've always been proud of aviation for this.

1911 - August 11 - Harriet Quimby becomes the first American woman licensed pilot
1911 - September 4 - Harriet Quimby becomes the first woman to fly at night
1912 - April 16 - Harriet Quimby becomes the first woman to pilot her own aircraft across the English Channel
1913 - Alys McKey Bryant is the first woman pilot in Canada
1916 - Ruth Law sets two American records flying from Chicago to New York
1918 - The US postmaster general approves the appointment of Marjorie Stinson as the first female airmail pilot
1919 - Ruth Law becomes the first person to fly air mail in the Phillipines
1921 - Adrienne Bolland is the first woman to fly over the Andes
1921 - Bessie Coleman becomes the first African American, male or female, to earn a pilot's license
1922 - Lillian Gatlin is the first woman to fly across America as a passenger
1929 - August - first Women's Air Derby is held, and Louise Thaden wins, Gladys O'Donnell takes second place and Amelia Earhart takes third
1929 - Florence Lowe Barnes - Pancho Barnes - becomes the first woman stunt pilot in motion pictures (in "Hell's Angels")
1929 - Amelia Earhart becomes the first president of the Ninety-Nines, an organization of women pilots.
1930 - May 5-24 - Amy Johnson becomes the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia
1930 - Anne Morrow Lindbergh becomes the first woman to earn a glider pilot license
1931 - Ruth Nichols fails in her attempt to fly solo across the Atlantic, but she breaks the world distance record flying from California to Kentucky
1931 - Katherine Cheung becomes the first woman of Chinese ancestry to earn a pilot's license
1932 - May 20-21 - Amelia Earhart is the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic
1932 - Ruthy Tu becomes first woman pilot in the Chinese Army
1934 - Helen Richey becomes the first woman pilot hired by a regularly schedule airline, Central Airlines
1934 - Jean Batten is the first woman to fly round trip England to Australia
1935 - January 11-23 - Amelia Earhart is the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to the American mainland
1936 - Beryl Markham becomes the first woman to fly across the Atlantic east to west
1936 - Louise Thaden and Blance Noyes beat male pilots also entered in the Bendix Trophy Race, the first victory of women over men in a race in which both men and women could enter
1938 - Hanna Reitsch becomes the first woman to fly a helicopter and the first woman to be licensed as a helicopter pilot
1939 - Willa Brown, first African American commercial pilot and first African American woman officer in the Civil Air Patrol, helps form the National Airmen's Association of America to help open up the U.S. Armed Forces to African American men
1939 - September 15 - Jacqueline Cochran sets an international speed record; the same year, she is the first woman to make a blind landing

Last edited:
I agree there were amazing women in the early days and WWII also. But look into what it took gain the cockpit in the 60's/70's. I know the lady who became the first US Captain for commercial airlines. Didn't happen until 1973.

There were some women who had remarkable accomplishments and were able to persevere in the face of opposition; however, I would not call the times in the 1930's 'friendly' to women aviators. They were not encouraged nor were they compensated or rewarded. The WASP's are a perfect example. Women, who wanted to fly so badly they flew airplanes to the boneyards that the armed forces wouldn't put men in because the airplanes were unsafe. Many women died on those flights, one from my home state of Nebraska. They made many contributions to the war effort yet it wasn't until the 1980's, 40 years after the war, that congress FINALLY recognized them as military service pilots and gave them the benefits and honor they deserved. It was too little too late for most.

Nope, "friendly" is not a word that comes to mind.

You do tend to find exceptions. I would tend to agree with Laurie that the 1930s weren't as friendly to women as today, but the US in the 1930s is still easily a century ahead of Qatar today, which I think was the initial point. :)

Thankfully, things are different today, and more of the barries have been knocked down within society. Now if only the mindsets of certain individuals within that society would change...

Women like Ms. Al Dosri have intelligence, guts and a tremendous reserve of inner strength and patience... which ironically belies the notion that women are not fit for something like professional flying.
I'm a "women and children first" kind of guy, but I've never understood why any man would stand in the way of a woman who wants to follow a "nontraditional" path. History shows that they can do very well, given the opportunity.
She's certainly up against it in a place like Qatar... I wish her the best of luck.

Actually, I have always felt that aviation has historically been very friendly to women and minorities. Check out 1921 and Bessie Coleman. I thought that I would stop cutting and pasting at 1939, but not before I included Willa Brown. In 1939, Willa couldn't even use the same restroom as a white woman, but she could fly an airplane. I've always been proud of aviation for this.

1911 - August 11 - Harriet Quimby becomes the first American woman licensed pilot
1911 - September 4 - Harriet Quimby becomes the first woman to fly at night
1912 - April 16 - Harriet Quimby becomes the first woman to pilot her own aircraft across the English Channel
1913 - Alys McKey Bryant is the first woman pilot in Canada
1916 - Ruth Law sets two American records flying from Chicago to New York
1918 - The US postmaster general approves the appointment of Marjorie Stinson as the first female airmail pilot
1919 - Ruth Law becomes the first person to fly air mail in the Phillipines
1921 - Adrienne Bolland is the first woman to fly over the Andes
1921 - Bessie Coleman becomes the first African American, male or female, to earn a pilot's license
1922 - Lillian Gatlin is the first woman to fly across America as a passenger
1929 - August - first Women's Air Derby is held, and Louise Thaden wins, Gladys O'Donnell takes second place and Amelia Earhart takes third
1929 - Florence Lowe Barnes - Pancho Barnes - becomes the first woman stunt pilot in motion pictures (in "Hell's Angels")
1929 - Amelia Earhart becomes the first president of the Ninety-Nines, an organization of women pilots.
1930 - May 5-24 - Amy Johnson becomes the first woman to fly solo from England to Australia
1930 - Anne Morrow Lindbergh becomes the first woman to earn a glider pilot license
1931 - Ruth Nichols fails in her attempt to fly solo across the Atlantic, but she breaks the world distance record flying from California to Kentucky
1931 - Katherine Cheung becomes the first woman of Chinese ancestry to earn a pilot's license
1932 - May 20-21 - Amelia Earhart is the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic
1932 - Ruthy Tu becomes first woman pilot in the Chinese Army
1934 - Helen Richey becomes the first woman pilot hired by a regularly schedule airline, Central Airlines
1934 - Jean Batten is the first woman to fly round trip England to Australia
1935 - January 11-23 - Amelia Earhart is the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to the American mainland
1936 - Beryl Markham becomes the first woman to fly across the Atlantic east to west
1936 - Louise Thaden and Blance Noyes beat male pilots also entered in the Bendix Trophy Race, the first victory of women over men in a race in which both men and women could enter
1938 - Hanna Reitsch becomes the first woman to fly a helicopter and the first woman to be licensed as a helicopter pilot
1939 - Willa Brown, first African American commercial pilot and first African American woman officer in the Civil Air Patrol, helps form the National Airmen's Association of America to help open up the U.S. Armed Forces to African American men
1939 - September 15 - Jacqueline Cochran sets an international speed record; the same year, she is the first woman to make a blind landing

Max, do you mind if I cut and paste this post verbatim to send to my 99s group?

I always thought of Qatar as being one of the most western of the Middle Eastern countries. I guess not. If a Saudi woman pilot can "get away" with something a Qatar woman cannot, then why can't they drive in Saudi?

Don't even get me started on what is going on in Saudi right now - the big news last week on Intl CNN was the rape case where they are not only punishing the VICTIM, they increased her punishment when her lawyer went to the media. Can you survive 200 lashes?

Actually, I have always felt that aviation has historically been very friendly to women and minorities. Check out 1921 and Bessie Coleman.
Maybe not the best choice for you example. Bessie Coleman had to escape the racist south in the early part of the 20th century just to find a job. Once in the north she did find employment but was unable to follow her dream because of the double whammy of being black and a woman. She had to go to France for her pilot training. She had to overcome a lot to get to where she would eventually be. I would not say that aviation was friendly to her, but that she refused to let societal stigmas keep her down. BTW I drive on Bessie Coleman drive about once a month. Hence I had looked up who she was a while ago.

I think that women got their big break in WW2. There had been suffrage improvements since the early part of the century but it was not until the 1940's and the US entry into the war that women were given real opportunities in many parts of society, not just aviation.

Last edited:
Scott I just noticed you have almost 3 times as many posts as I do!
That is most likely due to the nature of our travel. Whereas you get to go to exciting places and see wonderful art, architecture, and history I get to go to exciting places and sit in a conference room with nerdy engineer types and discuss if we should use the word shall or shall we use the word should. That gives me plenty of time to banter back and forth on PoA instead of writing wonderful travelogues and take beautiful pictures.

Scott I just noticed you have almost 3 times as many posts as I do!
He cheats! Remember all those times on the old server it would hang up and when you think it wasn't posting, it would actually post two or even three times?

Mr. Migaldi did not delete the duplicates! :hairraise:

I forgot one or two but usually deleted them. They bugged me as much as making errors that I went back and corrected when I caught them or was able to.

Actually, it's happen to quite a few folks. I don't think most noticed as folks don't usually scroll back to previous posts once they've read them or the system continues on down to unread posts.

But, he still cheated! :D

He cheats! Remember all those times on the old server it would hang up and when you think it wasn't posting, it would actually post two or even three times?

Mr. Migaldi did not delete the duplicates! :hairraise:

I forgot one or two but usually deleted them. They bugged me as much as making errors that I went back and corrected when I caught them or was able to.

Actually, it's happen to quite a few folks. I don't think most noticed as folks don't usually scroll back to previous posts once they've read them or the system continues on down to unread posts.

But, he still cheated! :D
What the heck are you talking about?

What the heck are you talking about?
I'm just razzin' ya about the dupes that happen during the lag times on the old server.

Probably a search would bring up many of them around 2230 EDT for several folks.

That is most likely due to the nature of our travel. Whereas you get to go to exciting places and see wonderful art, architecture, and history I get to go to exciting places and sit in a conference room with nerdy engineer types and discuss if we should use the word shall or shall we use the word should. That gives me plenty of time to banter back and forth on PoA instead of writing wonderful travelogues and take beautiful pictures.

don't you hate lawyers?

An article I came across this week. Gulf Helicopters is one of our S92 customers and I've had the opportunity to work with some of their pilots. I cannot imagine growing up in this type of culture.

Woman pilot’s bumpy ride

They let girls fly helicopters?

;-)

I can vouch for Scott's description of standards meetings. He and I don't cross paths in that world, but his description sounds like the meetings I sit through, as well. Besides, it sounds to me like Elizabeth goes to more inviting places and spends more time there, too. Or at least goes there at better times of the year. What were we thinking having a meeting in Paris in JANUARY? And this coming FEBRUARY? :D At least Rome should be nice in May.

I can vouch for Scott's description of standards meetings. He and I don't cross paths in that world, but his description sounds like the meetings I sit through, as well. Besides, it sounds to me like Elizabeth goes to more inviting places and spends more time there, too. Or at least goes there at better times of the year. What were we thinking having a meeting in Paris in JANUARY? And this coming FEBRUARY? :D At least Rome should be nice in May.
I have Levi Finland in January. I would prefer the warmth of Paris.

I have Levi Finland in January. I would prefer the warmth of Paris.

I was in Oslo & Stockholm during January a couple of years ago. It wasn't as cold as I imagined it would be. Or maybe it was the Wodka and Caviar... everywhere. All the bars at the Oslo airport were "branded" in the name of a vodka.

Paris - yeah, that's warm right now.... riots and fires. Add the 5 day rail strike and it certainly becomes the place I want to visit this month.....

As for standards meetings, y'all need to find the fun ones like I did - the ones I went to at ITU/Geneva were, shall we say, interesting, especially when the Germans took an imperial attitude toward a proposal by the Brits.

Last edited:
Back