one more cracked window for SW

Saw that. Bad maintenace program or just an example that bad things come in three's?

The article says passengers heard a loud noise when something "hit" the window. If this happened at cruising altitude what could there be to hit up there?

From the article:

“Southwest Airlines released a statement saying it was aware of the situation.”

Well, that’s good.

From the article:

“Southwest Airlines released a statement saying it was aware of the situation.”

Well, that’s good.
Before or after it occurred?

Time to take the aisle seat ,keep away from those windows.

I don’t think this would have even made the news had SWA not already been in the spotlight.

The article says passengers heard a loud noise when something "hit" the window. If this happened at cruising altitude what could there be to hit up there?

There’s are the same pax who claims the aircraft hit a air pocket and descended 4000 ft

There’s are the same pax who claims the aircraft hit a air pocket and descended 4000 ft
If a passenger claims that, it must be true! Wow, what a ride that must’ve been. :rolleyes:

It's a pocket of air! duh!

As a kid I remember hearing on the evening news about a DC-6 that hit an air pocket and lost several hundred feet of altitude with people onboard being injured. It was explained then that an air pocket was a small secluded spot in the sky where there was no air, causing the plane to lose altitude. Never found out if people can breathe in an air pocket....

Cell phones were not even an idea at the time, so no inside video coverage....

Nothing... In my experience this happens every once in awhile, typically to the Cockpit windows. The outer pain will sometimes crack. I have seen it twice in 10 years. I would guess this is similar. Typically has to do with heating and cooling or issues with pressurization and existing micro cracks or defects in the window. The pilot windows I have seen have been nothing more than a visibility nuisance, and one less pane of protection. Typically you would land as soon as possible, but I don't think it poses a critical safety risk.

What type of crack-preventing maintenance do you think they could do?

plumbers-crack-camo.jpg

Does anyone know what a air pocket is..???

That’s the point. I have heard a number of times ... we hit a air pocket in our last flight... I give them a confused look and they are even more confused. I have even been asked, u are a pilot and u don’t know what a air pocket is?

Back