On my way to the Keys!!!!!

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
We’re headed to the Keys the first week of April…..WooHoo!!!!! Okay, I’ll settle down now. Basically have my IFR routing figured out to Marathon, tho any tips you might have as I approach the Miami area and continue on to Marathon would be appreciated. Haven't been any further south than St Augustine.

I’m planning a day trip to Key West, and was looking for any info, tips, protocol, etc. as I want to do this short trip VFR. I know the area is busy with military traffic, and I promise to stay out of the restricted balloon area. The charts say to contact Key West approach because of the military traffic. Would I call them up as soon as I’m in the air? What other advice do you have?

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Kaye

Have a great trip! No advice to give other than to relax and enjoy. And take photos of the sunsets.

I've been in Naples since mid-Jan and regularly fly over to Marathon since the Subway is only a 5 minute walk from the FBO.

Flightplan your route to stay West of Miami, otherwise you'll get vectored. Get the AWOS and make calls into Marathon at 10 nm and 5 nm. I've noticed some of the radio work to be less than precise.

You can see the balloon from a good distance, so no worries there. If you're vfr sightseeing, I'd call for flight-following once airborne. The Miami guys, while busy, tend to be really good.

Maybe talk to the helicopter ride guy for good local info.

Have fun!

Kaye,
Have a great trip; one of these days I gotta get you out here to Ohio; KAOH. You going to Gaston's

Scott

Last edited:
Have a great trip Kaye.

BTW, my Daughter delivered Friday: Emily Faith was 6 pounds; 11 oz. I'm still not sure when I'm heading out to visit. Waiting for Mom to be able to coordinate with me.

Best,

Dave

Kaye, I've been into both KMTH and KEYW twice in the last month. They're both pretty easy airports to get in an out of. If you're IFR, Miami will of course hand you off as necessary. If VFR I'd suggest FF with Miami for the same reason. Have fun.

BTW Dave, CONGRATULATIONS!

You can see the balloon from a good distance, so no worries there.

I disagree - When I flew down there, I never saw it - I don't know if that's because it wasn't up, or because there was an overcast layer at ~7000 MSL that would have obscured it. Caveat aviator. The consequences are severe: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20070425X00453&key=1

If you're vfr sightseeing, I'd call for flight-following once airborne. The Miami guys, while busy, tend to be really good.

I agree... Both Miami Center and NAS Key West controllers were great.

Basically have my IFR routing figured out to Marathon, tho any tips you might have as I approach the Miami area and continue on to Marathon would be appreciated.

I don't have any specifics for the Miami area - I've flown in the area of LNA and flew down the gulf coast from X39 (North Tampa) to Marathon and then Key West. I'd imagine MIA is pretty much like any other class B in that if you're IFR they're likely to route you well around. Frankly, I think most of the Everglades looks about the same. :D

I’m planning a day trip to Key West, and was looking for any info, tips, protocol, etc. as I want to do this short trip VFR. I know the area is busy with military traffic, and I promise to stay out of the restricted balloon area. The charts say to contact Key West approach because of the military traffic. Would I call them up as soon as I’m in the air? What other advice do you have?

1) Watch out for the balloon. See above.

2) IIRC, the dividing line between Miami Center and Key West (aka "Navy") Approach is right around Marathon. So, I'd say that once you're out of the general area of Marathon you can call Key West right away.

3) Key West NAS may not want you in their class D... I was told that but when I called them and they replied ("Eastablished two-way communications"), they didn't say anything to that effect - Until I was directly over the field, at which point they advised me "Do not overfly Key West NAS." (Uhh, it's a bit late for that NOW guys!!! :rolleyes:) So, I advised them that I was already overhead and turning to the south and went around the rest as much as I could.

4) In the "Just for the heck of it" department, there's an NDB airway coming north off of Marathon Key, Blue 9 IIRC. If you have NDB or GPS, give it a shot. I filed and flew it, and the briefer had never heard of such a thing but he said "Well, the computer took it so it must be OK." Heh. I don't know of any other NDB airways remaining in the ConUS.

5) Just in case of engine failure, you may want to decide before you go: Alligators, or Sharks? :hairraise: :eek: :D

Have fun!!! :yes:

1) Watch out for the balloon. See above.

Balloon avoidance is high on my list.

2) IIRC, the dividing line between Miami Center and Key West (aka "Navy") Approach is right around Marathon. So, I'd say that once you're out of the general area of Marathon you can call Key West right away.

Wondered where the dividing line might be for center and approach. Did you call them "Navy"?

3) Key West NAS may not want you in their class D... I was told that but when I called them and they replied ("Eastablished two-way communications"), they didn't say anything to that effect - Until I was directly over the field, at which point they advised me "Do not overfly Key West NAS." (Uhh, it's a bit late for that NOW guys!!! :rolleyes:) So, I advised them that I was already overhead and turning to the south and went around the rest as much as I could.

Okay, no fly overs on NAS rwys. :D

4) In the "Just for the heck of it" department, there's an NDB airway coming north off of Marathon Key, Blue 9 IIRC. If you have NDB or GPS, give it a shot. I filed and flew it, and the briefer had never heard of such a thing but he said "Well, the computer took it so it must be OK." Heh. I don't know of any other NDB airways remaining in the ConUS.

Saw that NDB and airway. No NDB, but yes on the GPS.:)

5) Just in case of engine failure, you may want to decide before you go: Alligators, or Sharks? :hairraise: :eek: :D

And have thought about alligators vs sharks. I've decided to go with the sharks. :eek: :D

Have fun!!! :yes:

Thanks, Kent, for the info! And yep, planning on lots of fun!! :cheerswine:

Kaye

Have a great trip Kaye.

BTW, my Daughter delivered Friday: Emily Faith was 6 pounds; 11 oz. I'm still not sure when I'm heading out to visit. Waiting for Mom to be able to coordinate with me.

Best,

Dave

Congratulations, Dave!!

Finally figured out why I scheduled vacation days for later this week.......we're planting trees at the farm. How could I forget that. :redface: But keep me posted, with a little luck I might be able to sneak away for a visit.

Kaye

Have fun Kaye! You taking the Trinidad or the Diamond?

My sweet, sweet Trinidad. And it looks like it's going to stay in the family for a while. :yes:

BTW, I heard a rumor that you got your IR. Is it true????

Kaye, I've been into both KMTH and KEYW twice in the last month. They're both pretty easy airports to get in an out of. If you're IFR, Miami will of course hand you off as necessary. If VFR I'd suggest FF with Miami for the same reason. Have fun.

BTW Dave, CONGRATULATIONS!

Lance,
I'm thinking you're having too much fun with that "part-time" job. ;)

We drove :eek: to the Keys a few years ago, and I visited both airports. Actually, I took a ride out of both.....Waco ride at Marathon, and the floatplane from KEYW to Dry Tortugas. KMTH airspace seemed pretty easy going, but the airspace around KEYW appeared a little more interesting. But the pilot that was flying us was grumpy and didn't like his job.....so maybe I got the wrong impression. :rolleyes: So it's good to know that it's a non-event. Thanks!

Wondered where the dividing line might be for center and approach. Did you call them "Navy"?

Well, I called them "Key West Approach" because that's what it says on the chart IIRC, but they replied with "Navy altimeter..."

Saw that NDB and airway. No NDB, but yes on the GPS.

Hey, that works... I must admit, I felt like I was cheating when I flew it: :rofl:

50d2d0dc.jpg

And have thought about alligators vs sharks. I've decided to go with the sharks. :eek: :D

I figured I'd ditch near the shoreline and let them fight over me. :rofl:

OBTW, there's a restaurant in the terminal at KEYW that sells T-shirts that say "I landed at the southernmost airport in the US!" (They forgot "Continental" US, as Hawai'i is south of Key West...)

It's a pretty flight. :yes:

841fad1f.jpg

My sweet, sweet Trinidad. And it looks like it's going to stay in the family for a while. :yes:

BTW, I heard a rumor that you got your IR. Is it true????

That is a fact, as of 1/24/08. :hairraise: Now I get to worry about how to stay current.

That is a fact, as of 1/24/08. :hairraise: Now I get to worry about how to stay current.

And a BIG Congratulations to you!!! Yep, that staying current and proficient is tough.

You can see the balloon from a good distance, so no worries there.

Not necessarily, it can be above a cloud layer AFaIK and it's not the balloon itself that gets run into.

If you're vfr sightseeing, I'd call for flight-following once airborne. The Miami guys, while busy, tend to be really good.

Kaye, first there are two FBOs at MTH and they are very competitive (with each other). If you've made plans with one for transportation etc make sure you park at the one you want as the line crews may try to "steal" your business.

EYW is quite a ways from the "tourist area" of Key West. IIRC there are shuttles for something like $10/person.

A flight to EYW direct MKY (Marco Island, the closest airport on the mainland) clips a warning area in the gulf., don't go there.

Kaye, That sounds like a great trip. I hope that you have a great time.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back