On line social networking sites?

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Ok Elizbeth's post got my head spinning Twitter, Facebook Linked in, and so on. Can someone in the know give a brief but good explaination of the differences between the following,

Face Book

My Space

Linked In

Twitter

Is there a difference at all or are they just multiple sites that do the same thing? Are there more out there?

Facebook - social aggregator site. You can keep track of your friends all in one go.

Twitter - literally just little sentences/peeps, as often as you like.

Myspace - I guess like facebook.

Linked In - professional facebook.

ps. I'm on facebook and linked in, not the other two.

Face Book

My Space

Linked In

Twitter

Well, the easiest way to look at it this:

Facebook is more professionalish than My Space, but My Space is catchier and fancier. Both give you the ability to drop pictures and information about your life for others to see.

Twitter is like Facebook lite, in that it just gives you the status update ability.

Linked In is like Facebook for Professional Networking, not so much for social networking.

Agree with the above.

LinkedIn is more of a professional networking site. However, they seem to be slow to develop new apps and features. Bill Suffa got me started on it.

Facebook started as high school/college students membership only, but threw open the gates years ago. In speaking with friends who have used it, Facebook has more "brand recognition" than LinkedIN. People will come out of the woodwork. I've heard of 3rd grade classmates finding you on there. :eek:

MySpace was geared towards music acts at its conception. It also gave the user WYSIWYG web page layout tools, so you could add backgrounds, pictures, music, etc. And participants will put EVERY SINGLE ITEM on their page! Makes me want to scratch my eyes out every time I have to look at it.

Twitter? For the ADHD set. What you're doing now -- 140 characters at a time... :smile:

I personally think that Facebook is easier to use, and looks a lot nicer than MySpace. I also think that it provides more security options as far as who can find you on there.

Facebook also doesn't have music playing in the background when you load someone's page. You would have to click play to start a song playing. Useful if you don't like somone's taste in music.

ps. I'm on facebook and linked in, not the other two.
I'm on Linked In because I've gotten a number of invitations, but I'm still not sure of its purpose. It's not like we chat or post messages.

I'm on Linked In because I've gotten a number of invitations, but I'm still not sure of its purpose. It's not like we chat or post messages.

If you join Facebook then you, too, can be part of the PoAers who stalk eachother on it. ;)

Oh trust me, it is fun. Of course, 90 percent of my facebook friends are pilots. We need to start a PoA group now that so many of us are there...
I've never figured out what Facebook was all about either. Besides, I don't think they allow old folk like me to join... :redface:

I've never figured out what Facebook was all about either. Besides, I don't think they allow old folk like me to join... :redface:
I tried out MySpace after so many spoke about it and I saw so many odd old guys who had one. Then, when I tried to be creative with the layout I botched it and gave up on it.

A while back, I signed up on Facebook and that has been more fun just reading and sharing the little quips on there. It was neat to find out my favorite teacher in high school (American History, of course!) is now retired and plays Santa Clause every year. He was very into technology during his Army years just before teaching. Now, he won't even use email. So, I learned about him by trading emails with his wife.

I'd suggest Facebook over Myspace, any day. I'm now trying out Linked In to see how that might work out for networking and attracting professionals as students.

Nah, they removed the age restriction a few years back. ;)

What is nifty is finding people who you'd lost contact with a while ago and thought you might not hear from again. That's been the best part for me.

Oh trust me, it is fun. Of course, 90 percent of my facebook friends are pilots. We need to start a PoA group now that so many of us are there...

I was going to make a POA group on Facebook but it's already done!

Jason beat me to it :thumbsup:

Search groups for "Pilots of America"

Great! Now once a few more people join I have yet another means of stalking PoAer friends.

Of course, I now know that my friends stalk my flights while I'm flying, as evidenced by my trip to and from Ames. It's a good thing. :)

Excellent, it's a bit hard to find, but I invited everybody from PoA that I know of on facebook. This will be yet another great way to waste time talking about aviation!

Excellent, it's a bit hard to find, but I invited everybody from PoA that I know of on facebook. This will be yet another great way to waste time talking about aviation!

"Talking about aviation is a very pleasant mental illness." :yes:

I did the same (after Felix invited me), as well as a few people who I think should be members of PoA. I was pretty stunned to find I have 19 friends from PoA already on Facebook, plus I invited two people who I think should join PoA.

Yeah, and I totally forgot about it. :)

When I looked on Facebook I saw that "eight of your friends have joined 'Pilots of America'". I thought , "hmm, I'd better join that" so I clicked on it only to see that I was the group admin. Ha!

I remember creating it, but then I never actually invited anybody. That's the power of facebook, though. People find this stuff and it fosters social interaction.

There is also a LinkedIn group for Pilots of America - mainly created simply to try to draw people to this website. Extremely idle for now - growing membership but idle discussions, I mean.

Honestly, I'd be thrilled if someone from here could take it over from me. I dont' have time to do it justice.

Is it me or is Facebook a great place to find your ex from college, or high school ?

While that's not what I personally use it for (nor do I want to), I have friends who do/have used it as such.

Is it me or is Facebook a great place to find your ex from college, or high school ?

That would be tough for me to do. I married my high school sweetheart, and we're still together after 35 years. Makes things really simple (other than the fact that she knows every dumb thing I did back then. :D )

That would be tough for me to do. I married my high school sweetheart, and we're still together after 35 years. Makes things really simple (other than the fact that she knows every dumb thing I did back then. :D )
I might have still had interest in my elementary school sweetheart had she not tarnished her image by first marrying some Air Force dude. :nono:

Back