Omaha Steaks

I always wondered how they could truly be better than any other steak. To me, beef is, well, generally beef, no matter if if it comes from Omaha steaks or the local grocery. I can’t tell much of a difference…
Omaha is nothing special, but cut and the quality of meat makes a MASSIVE difference.

My local beef cattle guy charges $1.55/lb live weight. $200 butcher fee. Go in with 2-4 people. You get about 60% of the live weight. So like 820lbs divided by x. It comes out to like $2.65-2.85/lb for very good meat. One-half of one-half (AKA 1/4 to normal people) will fit in a 7 cu ft freezer.

By the way, the text that gets inserted in caller ID is inserted by YOUR phone provider. The only thing transferred over the network is an (easily forged) telephone number.

I've never really understood the whole grass fed beef thing and have always felt it was a schtick. You can feed a cow grass, and you can feed it slop and tire carcasses and it will taste exactly the same (don't ask me how I know this.)

Grass fed is healthier because it has less marbling. However, that marveling is where the taste is, so it won't be as tasty.

I've never really understood the whole grass fed beef thing and have always felt it was a schtick. You can feed a cow grass, and you can feed it slop and tire carcasses and it will taste exactly the same (don't ask me how I know this.)

Grass fed is healthier because it has less marbling. However, that marveling is where the taste is, so it won't be as tasty.

Supposedly grass fed has a healthier omega 3 vs omega 6 ratio. I just like it because I like to eat animals that were happily pastured instead of factory farm meat. But if the omega thing is true so much the better.

Supposedly grass fed has a healthier omega 3 vs omega 6 ratio. I just like it because I like to eat animals that were happily pastured instead of factory farm meat. But if the omega thing is true so much the better.
I was listening to a discussion at Christmas between some of my brothers-in-law… one of them a meat market and deli owner, and two others who farm and raise cattle and hogs. The question was asked, which cows have happier, more stress-free lives? The ones who wander around all day looking for food, or the ones who have their food and water brought to them every day?

The grass fed thing was just a non-starter; they all live in Iowa.

I was listening to a discussion at Christmas between some of my brothers-in-law… one of them a meat market and deli owner, and two others who farm and raise cattle and hogs. The question was asked, which cows have happier, more stress-free lives? The ones who wander around all day looking for food, or the ones who have their food and water brought to them every day?

The grass fed thing was just a non-starter; they all live in Iowa.

I used to live in Iowa, so I understand. You got me curious though:

https://www.thecattlesite.com/articles/2440/what-do-cows-prefer-pasture-or-barns/

Spoiler alert: They want access to both.

As one that dislikes marbling and the taste of fat, I'll pass over cuts that are interspersed with fat. I can't really tell the difference between grass fed vs. not grass fed cuts, although there is certainly differences in the grades of beef.

I'm not sure how grass feed vs. soy based feed would affect that. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I would be surprised if it was.

My native state! Hope to move back there within a year.

Yeah, you and everybody else. Just saw an article that Idaho was the fastest-growing state in the union according to the last census, increasing 2.9% owing to immigration. Just leave NJ politics behind, please.

My native state! Hope to move back there within a year.

Yeah, you and everybody else. Just saw an article that Idaho was the fastest-growing state in the union according to the last census, increasing 2.9% owing to immigration. Just leave NJ politics behind, please.

No worries there. I'm fleeing NJ politics. I just wish all of Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco hadn't moved to the Coeur d'Alene area over the last two years--the housing prices are straining our retirement plans.

No worries there. I'm fleeing NJ politics. I just wish all of Seattle, Portland, and San Francisco hadn't moved to the Coeur d'Alene area over the last two years--the housing prices are straining our retirement plans.
Hopefully enough people who engage in San Francisco politics will move out of San Francisco leaving people with common sense behind. But I'm dreaming.

I liked Idaho when I briefly lived there in the 1980s.

Hopefully enough people who engage in San Francisco politics will move out of San Francisco leaving people with common sense behind. But I'm dreaming.

I liked Idaho when I briefly lived there in the 1980s.
You keep em, we don't want any more!

Friend of mine settled in the Boise area after he got out of the Air Force in ~1979. Visited him not long after, he complained about all the people from California coming in and running real estate prices up.

Good to see nothing has changed. :)

Ron Wanttaja

I use butcherbox and its so so too. I stock the freezer with their meat but the 2 local butcher shops are better. If you have a local butcher, its always going to be better than any chain.

Yeah no doubt but if I had actually put some thought in to it, I would have tossed that junk and made tuna salad. It was that bad.

Everybody’s looking for their own private Idaho.

"Yeah tha likkor store done shut us down mang, where we going dog?"

"I da ho"

"Sheeeee"

"Yeah tha likkor store done shut us down mang, where we going dog?"

"I da ho"

"Sheeeee"

lol

End Scene 1.

Scene 2: Maynard, Zed, and a length of rope await at the border, their rough idling and rusted-out K10 trembles under the "Famous Potatoes" sign

Back