Omaha Steaks

Me, too! I have it trimmed, injected and marinating now. It goes on the smoker after work, for a family dinner tomorrow. I don't have Aaron's book, though I've watched a good number of his videos.

Unfortunately, this brisket isn't prime, and I realized this morning it has a distressing lack of marbling...but it had been in the freezer the longest and since it's my first full packer (I've only smoked flats up to this point), I wanted to practice on it. I've got a prime packer brisket in the freezer for later this summer.
For contests we like to use:
https://www.butcherbbq.com/product-page/prime-brisket-injection

and mix it with a light beer instead of water. For home cooking I don't usually work that hard.

Any leftover injection goes into a 2 gallon ziplock along with the brisket, then into the cooler until it's ready. We generally trim as soon as we are able, around 3pm or so, and then get the brisket rubbed and on sometime around midnight-1am.

Brisket can take a lot of black pepper, so don't be shy about using a rub that's heavy with pepper. Make burnt ends out of the point and slices from the flat. Many times it's easier to separate the point from the flat and cook them as 2 separate pieces.

That's good eatin'.

Oh yeah, we buy a lot of meat at MB! We are headed to Bedford in a bit and will most likely get some BBQ goodness for the holiday!

This is from a Purple Board fly in meat up at Harris Ranch. I wanted my hangar steak rare, and I got rare!

Properly it’s a ‘hanger’ steak but it was a fly in.
03B14898-5325-48C7-9C20-88DC5685527E.jpeg

We are getting ready to pull the trigger on getting (another) freezer so that we can buy into 1/2 cow from a local farm that grass feeds and treats their livestock humanely. FanTASTIC beef, delicious pork... we'll have to go elsewhere for poultry. I suppose that folks living in areas that don't have farms nearby don't have this option, but do yourself a favor if you do have this option: stop paying to have your meat shipped to you by who knows who. Hook up with a local farm and get seriously, seriously good meat while supporting a local farmer and his family, not some giant conglomerate. If you buy a part of a cow, it may actually save you money. Otherwise, it doesn't cost that much more. Life's too short for bad meat.

When we lived in the mountains I bought a freezer and a quarter cow, and made a $400 down payment on a hog. The local hog farmer closed up shop and absconded with my money. In retrospect I think he was a drug addict. He was legitimate, sold a lot of food from his shop in town, I’d been buying from him for over a year. But he underwent some personality changes so either he got involved with drugs and started having money problems, or some other thing befell him.

Anyway we’d barely eaten any of the beef when Mark had a job change and we had to sell the house and move halfway across the country. I gave the beef away to all the neighbors and sold the freezer. Three years later, another move. I don’t trust life enough now to buy any more bulk.

Edit: Except toilet paper.

Franklin uses just salt and cracked pepper. I might experiment with other stuff at some point but I'm a big fan of simplicity, and if it ain't broke....

I'm sure your brisket will turn out just fine, but if not, having failed so often myself, there are tons of leftover recipes which can mask just about anything :)

I did my last flat the Franklin way, rubbed with 50/50 kosher salt and cracked pepper only. We thought it was a little...plain. So this time I added the marinade step with beef broth, garlic, onion powder and a little Worcestershire and olive oil. The injection was beef broth only. The rub will be mostly salt/pepper, with a bit of onion powder, garlic, and cayenne added in. We'll see.

When we lived in the mountains I bought a freezer and a quarter cow, and made a $400 down payment on a hog. The local hog farmer closed up shop and absconded with my money. In retrospect I think he was a drug addict. He was legitimate, sold a lot of food from his shop in town, I’d been buying from him for over a year. But he underwent some personality changes so either he got involved with drugs and started having money problems, or some other thing befell him.

Anyway we’d barely eaten any of the beef when Mark had a job change and we had to sell the house and move halfway across the country. I gave the beef away to all the neighbors and sold the freezer. Three years later, another move. I don’t trust life enough now to buy any more bulk.

So if I understand correctly, you had a beef with the man that sold you the cow.

1200px-American_bison_k5680-1.jpg

mmmmmmm..... thems good eatin', I tell ya whut...

To be fair, they came from the same neighbor who is a meat cutter at Costco and who has hooked us up with awesome tri tips and NY strips, probably out of guilt for the Omaha steaks.

I think (hope) they are all gone. They were barely tolerable buried in spices and onions, but the hamburgers were pretty bad. Our go to source is Harris Ranch. And as a side benefit, they even have their own airport.
I’ve eaten there. At the start of an ill-fated trip to ERAU in Daytona, FL. Very good beef. It’s not an airport; more like a grass strip. Would still make a good $200 steak run.

I’ve eaten there. At the start of an ill-fated trip to ERAU in Daytona, FL. Very good beef. It’s not an airport; more like a grass strip. Would still make a good $200 steak run.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same place. The Harris Ranch I'm talking about is along the 5 corridor in Central California. It has a paved field and 100LL even.

Capture.JPG

Edit: Except toilet paper.
You didn't get the memo? Beef is the new toilet paper!

Funny, I just got a spam call from Omaha.....
Only if there's a town in Bum****istan named Omaha. You do know the caller ID on spam calls is faked, right?

BTW, I just got back from a lunch run up to Yankton (KYKN) - just for somewhere to go. Along the way we overflew several very large cattle feedlots, a bunch of smaller ones, and a surprising number of hog barns. I didn't realize there was that much hog farming in NE, but apparently so. None of them were anywhere near the Interstate, though.

Only if there's a town in Bum****istan named Omaha. You do know the caller ID on spam calls is faked, right?

BTW, I just got back from a lunch run up to Yankton (KYKN) - just for somewhere to go. Along the way we overflew several very large cattle feedlots, a bunch of smaller ones, and a surprising number of hog barns. I didn't realize there was that much hog farming in NE, but apparently so. None of them were anywhere near the Interstate, though.

By the same token, a lot of people don't realize how much cattle farming goes on in California. Overfly the Central/San Joaquin valleys and you might think you're over Texas. BTW you can smell Harris Ranch from 7,500 feet MSL.

I thought I'd take the advice here and make brisket w/ a rub more than just S&P. It was fantastic!
IMG_20211222_172013967.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_172013967.jpg
    IMG_20211222_172013967.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 34
I won a Omaha steaks box once, good stuff

Our local Fresh Market grocery store has prime beef. At $30 a pound for strip, it's a special occasion kind of thing. There's quite a difference between prime and choice.

I played iron chef last night. There was hamburger out, it hadn't been made in to anything by 9:00 pm,, so I made hamburgers. Okay maybe iron chef is overstating it but I like hamburgers.

Omaha steaks are the Yugo of meats. A novelty, but end users simply don’t like them. If you want to pay for quality meat, I suggest https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-beef/steaks.html

A very good friend of mine is a BBQ competitor, beat out Myron Mixon three times in a row the past couple months and when I asked him where I can buy a top shelf set of meats, this was his answer. I’ve had the porterhouse and fillets from them. Hard to eat Sams Club meat after that. My local butcher doesn’t even stock this quality of meat. I think they my shop bulk meat at Sams honestly. I have not tried their Waygu.

I tried waygu beef before, and didn't really like it. Too fatty for my taste. It might have just been that cut though.

I tried waygu beef before, and didn't really like it. Too fatty for my taste. It might have just been that cut though.

Hit up a real-deal Japanese restaurant that serves it hibachi. A whole steak? That's hard to do of A5. A 4 oz fillet is good for two people. More than that is like eating the best flavored stick of butter you have had in your life.

Omaha steaks are the Yugo of meats. A novelty, but end users simply don’t like them. If you want to pay for quality meat, I suggest https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-beef/steaks.html

A very good friend of mine is a BBQ competitor, beat out Myron Mixon three times in a row the past couple months and when I asked him where I can buy a top shelf set of meats, this was his answer. I’ve had the porterhouse and fillets from them. Hard to eat Sams Club meat after that. My local butcher doesn’t even stock this quality of meat. I think they my shop bulk meat at Sams honestly. I have not tried their Waygu.

Yes - SRF is the good stuff. A lot of BBQ teams like using their brisket in competitions. They are almost eye-poppingly expensive so you either need a good sponsor or an understanding spouse. I could never justify the cost and took my chances with prime or choice briskets from Sam's, we have some ribbons that show we can do OK with those.

They really are good, though.

edit:

I wish I could go back in time a few years when prime briskets were $2.98

7186B93E-BEC3-42C6-9D47-DB777ABB0910.jpeg

This is from a Purple Board fly in meat up at Harris Ranch. I wanted my hangar steak rare, and I got rare!

Properly it’s a ‘hanger’ steak but it was a fly in.
View attachment 97847

A very good friend of mine ate steak like that. When we would order she would point to me to order for her and my typical response was; slap the bell off, run it across the grill and put it on a serving dish. She would nod in approval and the server would just have a blank stare.

I honestly had a hard time watching her eat steak like that, I'll do medium but I don't want to hear that thing moo.

I thought I'd take advantage of exceptionally high beef prices by following up my brisket earlier in the week w/ a standing rib roast! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20211225_174940406.jpg
    IMG_20211225_174940406.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 18
“Show it the oven, see the look of fear in its eyes, and bring it out to me”

We were all enjoying our nearly-perfect prime rib for Christmas dinner this evening and the subject of vegans came up. I told the assembled family that I personally absolutely love vegans. Like the one that was in front of us, cooked medium rare, for example. It was delicious. I wouldn’t want to live life without vegans.

I've never ordered from them, but there's the Kansas City Steak Company.

I grew up eating ranch fresh grass-fed lean beef from the P5 Ranch, which was the ranch I grew up on. The only problem was, Mom didn't like any pink anywhere in the meat, so it was always well done. I've backed off to medium well, except for filet mignon, which I like medium. The grass fed, lean part has really helped my cardiovascular system my entire life.

Back