Oldest WWII Vet dies

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Today. Here's an excerpt from the article about it.

He often told the story about a time when he was a passenger in a C-47 aircraft delivering a load of barbed wire to the front when one of the transport plane’s engines went out.

After they dumped the cargo to conserve weight, he made his way to the cockpit. He told the pilot and co-pilot that since they were the only two with parachutes, if they had to jump for it, he was going to grab on to one of them.

Cool, but didn’t sound right…

“According to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs statistics, just more than 240,000 of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II are alive today. The VA reports that 234 World War II veterans die each day.” This as of 12/4/2021.

“According to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs statistics, just more than 240,000 of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II are alive today. The VA reports that 234 World War II veterans die each day.” This as of 12/4/2021.
Oldest, not last.

But I guess that one of them is older than the rest.

Probably from one of those clickbait articles.

But I guess that one of them is older than the rest.

Probably from one of those clickbait articles.
It was from a reputable News source. Googled it and lotsa reputable sources. Yeah, they advertise, but it's not the usual ones that spawned the term clickbait.

Confused here.

Was he the oldest person to serve in WWII or the oldest surviving vet to die.??

Confused here.

Was he the oldest person to serve in WWII or the oldest surviving vet to die.??
How old do you think the oldest person serving in WWII was at the time, and how old would that make him now?

He was 112. Great long life. That war ended 77 years ago. Assuming the youngest soldier when the war ended was 18, they’d be 95 now. That’s also a nice long life. I’d be more than happy to make it that long. No need for a bunch of sadness or to dwell on it. I am more concerned with not sending any more of our youth to die on foreign soil or to have them or anyone shot dead on our streets.

He was 112. Great long life. That war ended 77 years ago. Assuming the youngest soldier when the war ended was 18, they’d be 95 now. That’s also a nice long life. I’d be more than happy to make it that long. No need for a bunch of sadness or to dwell on it. I am more concerned with not sending any more of our youth to die on foreign soil or to have them or anyone shot dead on our streets.

I've thought about this very point often for many years. My sadness (actually not sadness, but I can't think of a better word)...anyway, it has to do with the stories....stories that went untold or have otherwise just been lost. The lifelong struggle that many of these folks had about dealing with the memories. I'm sad that so many of them never wrote down or otherwise recorded their stories....and I wonder how many of these heroes I met in my younger days and couldn't ask about their experiences because I never knew (or if I did was too afraid of opening up old wounds for them)

I've thought about this very point often for many years. My sadness (actually not sadness, but I can't think of a better word)...anyway, it has to do with the stories....stories that went untold or have otherwise just been lost. The lifelong struggle that many of these folks had about dealing with the memories. I'm sad that so many of them never wrote down or otherwise recorded their stories....and I wonder how many of these heroes I met in my younger days and couldn't ask about their experiences because I never knew (or if I did was too afraid of opening up old wounds for them)
Years ago, we had a B-17 tail gunner talk at our EAA meeting. His tales were entertaining. He'd finally been shot down, and spent a year or so in a POW camp in Germany.

I asked him, "Are there any lingering health issues, stemming from your time as a POW?" I assumed there might be badly-healed wounds, malnutrition, or even dental issues.

His answer was immediate: "Nightmares." Forty years later, his experiences still tortured him.

Lift your glasses, ladies and gentlemen, in Robert Burns' toast:

"Here's to us
who's like us?
Damn few
and they're all a'deid."

Ron Wanttaja

I remember when my dad told me that 1K WWII vets died each day. Probably in my lifetime, this will go to zero.

I remember when my dad told me that 1K WWII vets died each day. Probably in my lifetime, this will go to zero.
.............means that in 240 days (8 months - August) they'll all be gone.

This "According to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs statistics, just more than 240,000 of the 16 million Americans who served in World War II are alive today. The VA reports that 234 World War II veterans die each day.” This as of 12/4/2021."
...... means that in 1000 days (2.7 years) they'll all be gone.

Probably really looking at somewhere under 5 years. Somber to think about.

My Dad used to quote that number as well. Sadly, he became part of that statistic a few years ago.

My dad and 4 uncles are also part of that statistic. All I know of that time is my dad was in the Navy. After 4 years in the navy he went to college and after graduation was commissioned in the Army Reserve. After not getting active duty he transferred to the newly formed Air Force....and got reserves. He stayed in the AF reserve for around 35 years, retiring as a LTC. (non pilot)

Another uncle was in the 3rd division and went into Italy. His military records were destroyed by a fire in I think 1968. All we know is he was a 1st Sgt and his oldest son stole all of his war trophies and sold them for drugs in the late 60s.

Another uncle taught a ground school for pilots on how to use radar in night fighters. I think he was stationed at St. Simmons Island, GA.

The other uncle was a train engineer and was not allowed to quit his job because at the time it was thought women would not be able to drive a train. When he was finally allowed to join (early '45) it was in the reserves, and his job was.....wait for it..... train engineer. He retired as a LTC, same as my dad. They had a little brotherly conflict over who out ranked who...:lol:

The 4th uncle was in the marines before the war started. He claimed to be the first Marine to kill a Japanese soldier in 1939. He was with a construction crew from the Navy, (before they were called Sea Bees) that was building airstrips in the south Pacific, acting as a guard. He got bored and asked for something to do besides sitting and watching. So the survey crew had him running the orange tape marking places where they wanted them for an airstrip.

He was about 200 yards away from the main group, marking a spot. As he brought his hand up to cut the tape with his machete, he heard a bullet go by his left ear, burning his ear. He came down with the machete, almost cutting off the tip of his left index finger. He dropped and rolled away from the area. He made a big circle and came back to where he had been and saw a Jap soldier standing there looking at the blood. As my uncle stated, he dropped him, then picked up the machete and tape and went back to work.

He got out of the Marines in the summer of '41. In January '42, the Marines sent him notice to report back for duty, Instead, he went to the Army and enlisted thinking it would easier than the Marines. He ended up going into France as a replacement on D-Day+3 I think. He was the one that smoke and drank all his life. He lived the longest of the brothers, dying at 83 due to blood clots caused by a car accident.

I regret not asking my dad and his brothers anything about their experiences. But as a child of the 60s, I was always told to never ask about their experiences. So many stories lost.

Back