Older low time A&P wants to get active again

not entirely true. in a repair station you are exercising your privileges of your certificate but are not signing off an aircraft. the A&P signs the internal work card for the work he/she has done, but some else signs the work order for the aircraft.

I started keeping a log book of aircraft work, similar to a pilots log book. Some times people may not want you to complete a certain action or job. I still perform a check but the owner denied work to be performed. Since its not an annual or a 100 hour, I don't add anything in the log book because I didn't compete the action. However I still worked to investigate as a mechanic. I would consider that utilizing my privilege's. I'm new, so if I'm wrong for considering that please let me know, or if I actually should be signing the log book. I've seen comments like that in a log book.

not entirely true. in a repair station you are exercising your privileges of your certificate but are not signing off an aircraft. the A&P signs the internal work card for the work he/she has done, but some else signs the work order for the aircraft.

Not true. The repair station is exercising their privileges returning the work to service, not the A&P...

From the referenced legal interpretation:

You are correct that, when a repair station performs maintenance on an item and approves it for return to service, both the maintenance and related approval are done by the repair station. The repair station does these under the privileges granted it by 14 C.F.R. parts 43 and 145.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...s-BristowAlaska_2012_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

or if I actually should be signing the log book.
FYI: if you're performing mx work on an aircraft, that work is required to be entered in the aircraft record per 43.9 regardless if you're a mechanic or if the work is not finished. Your personal log of work performed provides zero relief to this rule.

Not true. The repair station is exercising their privileges returning the work to service, not the A&P...

From the referenced legal interpretation:

You are correct that, when a repair station performs maintenance on an item and approves it for return to service, both the maintenance and related approval are done by the repair station. The repair station does these under the privileges granted it by 14 C.F.R. parts 43 and 145.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...s-BristowAlaska_2012_Legal_Interpretation.pdf
That’s what I said, the repair station is returning the aircraft to service, but the a&p is exercising his/ her privileges fulfilling the requirements of 65.83

Although seldom enforced; I presume the same applies to Annuals performed by an IA employed by a Repair Station. If done under the Repair Station; they would not count toward 4 per year for renewal.

Back