Old outdated ADs that still apply

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
There are two I have come across that are from the 1970's that sill apply today because of the way they were written. No it really doesn't matter that your airplane was built in the year 20XX with these.

The first is AD 74-08-09 against any transport aircraft that has one or more lavatories equipped with a paper or linen waste receptacles. Googeling this one brings up a huge list of stuff including a Cessna publication from 2006 that affirms the AD applies to all Citation aircraft.

https://support.cessna.com/docs/custsupt/directapproach/Archives/mar06.html

Another I can think of is ad 70-22-04 "Applies to Aircraft Incorporating Wood Electric Corp Model 105, 106, 107, 108, 147, 152, 254, 447, 448, or 2100 Series Circuit Breakers" I'm seeing brand new aircraft that have a log entry in the delivery binder stating that the aircraft does not incorporate Wood Electric Corp circuit breeakers and the AD doesn't apply.

Where does it end?

AD 74-08-09 is a very important and well taught AD, because a lot of people were killed on Varig Flight 820. The fire started in the lavatory and suspected it was due to a lit cigarette in a waste bin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varig_Flight_820

It will not go away, and it's because of this AD and this accident that aircraft still have ashtrays, yet are prohibited from smoking on board in the lavatories. It's just in case someone tries to sneak one off. It is codified into 14 CFR 25.853

Last edited:
You know Dan, that is almost universal every one looks for the old Bendix switch and forgets the Gerdes

I know. I see the logs signed off for the Bendix AD for years and years, end when I get under the panel to confirm that it's a Bendix I find that it's an ACS switch. Without the diode on the starter contactor coil, the start contacts in the switch burn out. The time and parts to fix it cost as much as a new switch, so that's what it gets along with the diode, and the 2000-hour count starts then. Why ACS couldn't have developed more robust contacts for that switch is beyond me. They're still flimsy thin little shells.

Aircraft quality...

Back