Old Eyes

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I have noticed in the past couple of years, since hitting 40, that my arms are shrinking. I am told it is really my eyes but I still do not believe that observation. But knowing that it is almost impossible to convince the FAA of the real phenomenon I am sure they will say something about my eyes.

My medical renewal is next Monday. If I should fail the eye exam what will they do? Should I just bring a pair of reading glasses with me and if I fail put them on and try again or am I hosed until I see an optometrist?

I have noticed in the past couple of years, since hitting 40, that my arms are shrinking. I am told it is really my eyes but I still do not believe that observation. But knowing that it is almost impossible to convince the FAA of the real phenomenon I am sure they will say something about my eyes.

My medical renewal is next Monday. If I should fail the eye exam what will they do? Should I just bring a pair of reading glasses with me and if I fail put them on and try again or am I hosed until I see an optometrist?
I just told my medical examiner I use reading glasses and carry them with me when I fly. Demonstrated my ability to read approach plates with the reading glasses. Now I have the restriction on my medical that states I "must possess corrective lenses for near vision". No biggie.

I try to schedule an eye exam at my optometrist the week before my AME visit. Then I at least have a fighting chance of having the right prescription eyeglasses when I go for the medical.

If you need reading glasses you'll be allowed to wear them for the close and intermediate distance check, and if you need them you'll get a limitation on your medical to that effect. Not a big deal.

I just brought a pair of 1.25's with me so when I failed (I knew I would) I used them. I also found that Bi-Focal reading glasses work great in the plane because the line fall on the dash so everything looks great

Go to WalMart, check out a pair of +1.25 diopter readers. Try reading some small print at the store that make your arm lengths normal. Buy a pair that work. $5.00. Bring them with you.

If you need them to read the 18" away from-your-nose chart, put 'em on. You'll pass with the restriction, "must possess glasses that correct for near vision"

I

I've used reading glasses for the last 5 yrs or so. Not a big deal. I just
use them for the close up stuff. Heck .. I have to take them .. I can't
fill out the app without them. They just put the restriction on that you
have to have some in your possession when flying.

Scott, consider yourself lucky! My arms started getting short in my mid 30s (I'm 43 now). I just got a new prescription for bifocals because my Class II is next Tuesday. And I've needed distant vision correction since I was about 26.

My progressive bifocals suck, but so do all the other vision correction options. :redface:

Medical isn't due until next year, but I had a visit with the optemetrist earlier this week. Eyes haven't changed in over a year. Still need my glasses, but don't need new ones.

Oh, and my medical requires them, plus a spare pair in the plane. Why is this? Not that it matters, I carry a spare pair anyway.

I have heard tales of nurses saying, "excuse me, I have to use the bathroom" and leaving the room with the eye chart up, allowing a stumbling applicant to memorize the appropriate lines.

I've managed to get by without the glasses for the AME's chart, but I have the glasses with me.

When the day comes I'll take the restriction, but if I can get by without, I will.

BTW, I always have glasses...and a magnifying glass in the seat pocket so I can tell 122.65 from 122.85.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back