Old"er" man learning to fly

pilotdreamer

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Michael K.
A bit frustrated and seeking advice. I am 64 yrs old have about 60 plus hours of flying lessons on Cherokees. Half of my training took place in Florida in the winter and half in eastern CT, where I was able to iron out my landings and takeoffs...feel frustrated because the school is busy and cannot offer consistently the same instructor and or plane. Is it worth considering a different school or wait until I get back to FL in November? Until the changes to a new instructor I felt I was making great progress and my age was not a totally prohibitive factor. While I am certain I am a slower learner I was feeling that I was getting close to a "solo" and started studying for the written exam. Then "boom" a new instructor shows up and then my turns, my approaches,my landings my communications were ...you get the picture.What I am asking is consistency until I am skilled (experienced) enough to handle a different instructor or plane. Am I wrong?
Thank you in advance,
Michael

You're the customer. Find a school with better availability and tell them exactly what you want. Cue up the crotchety old men who are going to hate on young CFIs in a few posts. Good luck on the rest of your training!

Unless you are senile or have some other mental disorder, I don't see how your age matters one bit, so long as you can hold a medical.

Sounds like you just ran into a bad flight school, might want to ask the CFI you got along with if he would freelance with you, or find a experienced freelance guy with a schedule that matches yours, that's what I've done on both sides before.

A bit frustrated and seeking advice. I am 64 yrs old have about 60 plus hours of flying lessons on Cherokees. Half of my training took place in Florida in the winter and half in eastern CT, where I was able to iron out my landings and takeoffs...feel frustrated because the school is busy and cannot offer consistently the same instructor and or plane. Is it worth considering a different school or wait until I get back to FL in November? Until the changes to a new instructor I felt I was making great progress and my age was not a totally prohibitive factor. While I am certain I am a slower learner I was feeling that I was getting close to a "solo" and started studying for the written exam. Then "boom" a new instructor shows up and then my turns, my approaches,my landings my communications were ...you get the picture.What I am asking is consistency until I am skilled (experienced) enough to handle a different instructor or plane. Am I wrong?
Thank you in advance,
Michael
I don't think you're wrong. only you can determine how fast you learn. I got my sport certificate at age 62 after a 30-year layoff. I needed the consistency of the same instructor and flying 2-4 times a week. if it were me I'd find a smaller school or an independent CFI.

Thank you in advance,
Michael
Seems to me that if its consistency you want and you're going to FL in November, how many sessions do you think you could get in before you leave and have to start over again. Might be something to shoot for when you're in FL if you will be there for a while. I don't see how you got to 60 hours without solo, but it may be due to all the shuffling and starting over. Good luck.

I once had a student show up who had around 60-70 hours and hadn't soloed. He was flying a Grumman but still 60-70 hours! I soloed him within 10 hours if I recall correctly. Talk about a happy dude.

Last edited:
Your the customer,find a school that will meet your needs. Get the solo out of the way.

Keeping with the same CFI is important. Otherwise, each new CFI will have to run you through a bunch of review just to determine where you're at.

I taught a 65 year old to fly who told me upfront he was afraid he was to old to learn. It was a life-long dream of his. He did just fine & soon after getting his license he bought a 180 conversion 172 & flew all over the country with his wife. I believe he was around 80 when he quit & gave the plane to his son.

Motivation is more important than age. Good luck!

I'd find another school, limited availability=repeated lessons=more $$$.

A little off topic and doesn't necessarily relate, but it's not unusual for some CFI's out there to take advantage of the student and drag out their training to benefit their own wallet. Don't let this happen to you.

My oldest student at this time is 72 and I am confident he will learn to fly despite no aviation experience.

My best student at this time is 67 and I expect to solo him in ten hours for sport pilot, gyroplane.

I have a student who did not solo in 50 hours of dual instruction and I am inclined to blame the instructor as a big part of the challenge.
It appears from the log book they would just go up and fly around rather than practice what he will be tested on in his practical test.

Many people shop for the least expensive flight instructor.

This can be a very expensive path because I feel the quality of flight instructors varies wildly.

In my opinion passing your knowledge test has value no matter where you are in your flight training. You have two years to take the practical test and still have your written count.

Your pre-solo written test will cover a lot of the same material.

Fly often.

The knowledge may leak out during periods of disuse.

Unless you are senile or have some other mental disorder, I don't see how your age matters one bit, so long as you can hold a medical.

Sounds like you just ran into a bad flight school, might want to ask the CFI you got along with if he would freelance with you, or find a experienced freelance guy with a schedule that matches yours, that's what I've done on both sides before.

I am coming up on 60 years old, and I am a youthful 60 (I think), but yes...I definitely think age matters. You do simply slow up a little at an older age learning something new, and this isn't "something", not just a few things, it's a LOT to learn. I've been learning my whole life, I was never static, but I am very sure that I could handle lots more "variable inputs" when I was thirty than I can now. I don't freeze up, but can get fatigued way earlier than I used to.

To the OP. I hear you. It's harder for us old farts to adapt, and handle lots of new things. You have way more hours than I, ten times mine. I only have six hours flying time logged. But I did grow up with a father that was an excellent pilot. I don't know if it helps. When we try to learn a new thing like flying, but with our life experience we are caught in two worlds. If you are like me you have learned that your reaction time is a little (or a lot) slower than it used to be. At the same time, we do know more about physics, and adjusting to new circumstances. I have also had a hard time getting started and I have way less hours than you. My first four flights were with four different instructors, and two different (very different) aircraft.

It's all up to you. In contrast to younger students, who may just accept how it is, you and I may need (and know what we need) to have instruction a certain way. I don't know much, but I would way prefer to learn one aircraft, and have one instructor throughout most of my instruction. In my case circumstances made it such that I had several different instructors. I now have one main instructor and think it is necessary because I feel I have to have someone that knows my weaknesses and my strengths, and can help me work on overcoming my weaknesses. Also I need to have a rapport with my instructor. That takes time. To be able to take instruction in an efficient way. I've trained in two vastly different (one was a very light aircraft with stick, the other is a very old Piper warrior that is now "my" plane) aircraft, and am sure that I need to get the basics down in one and only one, and then try other types.

You do have a say in it. You decide. For myself, I need consistency in order to focus on the fundamentals.

I used to shoot pool. I think it is s lot like that in that the most imoritant thing is to have a dependable stroke, so you can adjust it to make more precise shots. If every time you shot the pool cue acted differently you could never adjust because it would be a crab shoot every time. Something has to be consistent in order to focus on the things that are really important.

Good luck to you, and me.

I think that learning a motor skill like flying and landing the plane takes quite a bit more practice when you are older. Just have to keep at it.

I think that learning a motor skill like flying and landing the plane takes quite a bit more practice when you are older. Just have to keep at it.
Maybe, at 80, not 60.

OP might be getting milked; 60 hours within a reasonable period and no solo is ridiculous.

Where in Florida are you likely to be camped? How much time can you devote to this without interruption?

I may have a suggestion for you based on my experience.

Thank you in advance,
Michael
Michael, by now I suppose you are in Flordia. I've read the postings on looking for advice and agree with most ( not the old instructor part I'm 71 ) find a place where you can fly on a steady basis, with the same instructor....you will do fine, be sure and have fun along the way.

Keeping with the same CFI is important. Otherwise, each new CFI will have to run you through a bunch of review just to determine where you're at.

I think this might be your key. Hopefully you can find a CFI that will stick with you. Try and find one that does it on the side and isn't looking to leave for the airlines or whatever. I don't see how you couldn't finish this in FL in 2-3 months easily.

Michael, by now I suppose you are in Flordia. I've read the postings on looking for advice and agree with most ( not the old instructor part I'm 71 ) find a place where you can fly on a steady basis, with the same instructor....you will do fine, be sure and have fun along the way.
There are plenty of older instructors out there who do it as a part-time gig. Some even have their own airplanes. FIND ONE... It worked for me.

The problem with the younger folks is the current airline situation. They are all chasing FLIGHT HOURS, and as soon as they hit the Magic Mark, they are being scooped up by the Regionals/Cargos if they can pass the Breathing-On-A-Mirror Test. And that situation isn't going to improve under the current rules.

Of course, given recent, well-publicized changes in the direction of government, this could change on a moment's notice.

I don't think the age of the CFI or student matters. I have had experienced/old and new/young CFIs, over many years, and haven't noticed a correlation of quality (as instructor) to age or hours (or gender, for that matter). Same with the student -- having learned completely new tricks (airplanes, helicopters, gliders) decades apart, I can't say there was any noticeable difference in my learning capacity or rate. Assuming reasonable health (which you should be working to maintain), age is just a number. It's up to you to decide if you are "young" or "old", at any age.

I don't think the age of the CFI or student matters. I have had experienced/old and new/young CFIs, over many years, and haven't noticed a correlation of quality (as instructor) to age or hours (or gender, for that matter). Same with the student -- having learned completely new tricks (airplanes, helicopters, gliders) decades apart, I can't say there was any noticeable difference in my learning capacity or rate. Assuming reasonable health (which you should be working to maintain), age is just a number. It's up to you to decide if you are "young" or "old", at any age.

I've noticed a slight slowing of my learning *rate* with age, but not one that shows up in any significant number of hours applied. Marginal but real. Could also just be the breadth and scope of the material though.

...half in eastern CT, where I was able to iron out my landings and takeoffs...feel frustrated because the school is busy and cannot offer consistently the same instructor and or plane...

KSNC?

Back