Want To Buy Old ELT

Cruzinchris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cruzinchris
I just fly locally so I don't need a "new fangled" ELT. The one I have is fine. Unfortunately the G Switch is bad. Most old ELT's use the same G switch. I would like to buy an old/obsolete/junk ELT to salvage the switch.

so you are a repair station that is certified to work on elts?. otherwise swapping the switch makes it unairworthy and illegal to fly.

so you are a repair station that is certified to work on elts?. otherwise swapping the switch makes it unairworthy and illegal to fly.

Thanks, but I'll take my chances. I am very experienced electronic engineer.

Your best bet is to find the same model unit and swap it.

I just fly locally so I don't need a "new fangled" ELT. The one I have is fine. Unfortunately the G Switch is bad. Most old ELT's use the same G switch. I would like to buy an old/obsolete/junk ELT to salvage the switch.
I have a new 406 waiting to install in mine after I pick her up from paint. I'm not sure which model 121.5 I have installed now. Works fine and I think they installed a new battery about 1 year ago. If you PM me and are willing to wait for whenever I have a chance to swap them out, you can have it. If you're not local, you'd have to pay the shipping.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I'll take my chances. I am very experienced electronic engineer.
So, after you change the switch are you going to let your AP/IA know about the change before he signs off the next ELT 12 month inspection?

Next time just buy one off of ebay and let it be your secret.

I appreciate everyone that commented on my post. One person suggested I contact Wentworth. That was a good idea and I did. The avionics guy replied back right away. He said all of his bad ELT’s have bad G switches! I worked eBay for a while and couldn't find anything except ones with dead batteries.

I have the opinion that if I am more qualified than the FAA Repair shop to fix the electronic equipment on my Part 91 plane, I will do so. I will not certify my transponder because I don't have the equipment. Can I tell if my Comm radio is on frequency? Yes, the ten thousand dollar spectrum analyzer I use in my work would verify that. Have I replaced a bad circuit breaker or repaired some wiring? Have you? Replace the G switch in my ELT? You bet. It is usually a little cylinder with 2 wires you solder in. It either works or it doesn't. If I hear from or get a visit from the FAA based on what I said, I will let everyone know. I hope I don't because they have so much they actually should be doing besides checking on me.

I toyed with signing off my ELT inspection when I was working in the repair shop. I've had a second phone (well GROL now) for decades.

Amusingly, i found that the "certified" repair station guy royally screwed up the remote wiring. It uses an RJ-11 cable between the remote (dirt simple thing really, a button and two LED's and a battery that light up the LEDs). Having been a communications engineer, I knew exactly what the problem was. He flipped the pairs on the cable.

I have the opinion that if I am more qualified than the FAA Repair shop to fix the electronic equipment on my Part 91 plane, I will do so.
Ha. And people wonder why A&Ps are suspect of aircraft owners. Unfortunately, your escapades never come back to you. Usually it's the unsuspecting APIA that signed the last annual or in this case the last 12 month ELT inspection. So I'm of the opinion, if you are so qualified to do the job, then why not note the G-switch replacement in your logbook? There's nothing that physically prevents you from doing that either.;)

I will be installing a new 406 unit during my annual that will start in the next two weeks. I’d be happy to send you my old ELT and antenna for the shipping cost. I need to do get rid of it anyway. I think there is a year left on the battery but could be wrong.

I’m just upgrading now because other projects will require me to open everything up that would be required to run the additional wires for the new ELT. Logistically that makes it a good time to upgrade while everything is open.

Gary

Back