Old AD 98-02-08

I doubt that very much, want to prove me wrong? show me a old crank shaft that passed a inspection to return it to service.

I assisted with one AD inspection on a 172, many years ago.

You're making even more **** up now. There is no AD requiring replacement of hollow crankshafts with solid crankshafts at overhaul.

That being said, I doubt that ANY overhauler would yellow tag ANY used 4 banger Lycoming crankshaft without applying the Lycoming SB, no matter what engine it came out of, required by the AD or not, the overhauler is gonna be looking in there and doing the SB.
Here is section f from 505B:

View attachment 62265
Of course Overhaulers are going to run the SB.
And to read your attachment, you will notice even Lycoming doesn't want the liability for these cranks they will give you a deal on a new one, and doesn't give authority for anyone else to rework them.

You didn't answer my question.

Sorry, Tom, not going to play your game.

You look after your stuff your way. Your licence, your decision. Good luck. :)

. :) like who'd guessed it.

Good luck getting a deal on a crank now. I heard from Van Bortle Lycoming wouldn't even accept an operating engine core over 30 years old when I asked them last year for a quote to trade in a O-360-A1F6D for an engine without the D2000/D3000 series magneto. That seems to go against your logic of them trying to get old parts out of service.

Also, since Lycoming is much higher price than PMA aftermarket cranks (that don't have multiple ADs/SBs on them) I'm not interested in paying for a new Lycoming one.

Its amazing to me, these engines have been pretty much the same for the last 50 years, yet they still find a way to screw up manufacturing them. Both manufacturers have had bad batches of crankshafts and other quality escapes.

The machining inside these original crankshafts covered by this AD is so rough its screams sloppy to me.

Last edited:
Sorry, Tom, not going to play your game.

You look after your stuff your way. Your licence, your decision. Good luck. :)

Not really playing a game, was hoping to know.
I assisted with one AD inspection on a 172, many years ago.

And was it rusty then? think it would be still?

Don't you love it when someone starts a thread to show everyone how smart he is?

Back