Oklahoma City?

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I'm flying to Oklahoma City tomorrow afternoon. Anyone with experience there? Will Rodgers (KOKC) vs. Wiley Post (KPWA) airports?
I assume we can get a good steak dinner somewhere in town :D

I flew into Norman, but I also had the state AAG as a personal chauffer and tour guide. :)

Either is good; I have always chosen the big airport (KOKC) which, despite its large size and the presence of both the FAA HQ and a federal prison transfer facility (with a funky taxiway /sometimes-runway), is a very friendly field with easy and quick insy-outies.

YMMV.

What's close to the principal's business activities?

I have been to both Atlantic at PWA and AAR at OKC and they are both OK (um, not a pun). I think it just depends on what area of town you need to be near.

Although I dont live close anymore, I've flown into Wiley post about three or four times. It's a pretty good airport and has a couple neat features including a great burger restaurant on the field you can park next to, a small museum that takes a little bit of a walk to find but worth the effort if you have time, an FAA branch, and of course the fun 600ft pattern altitude for one of the runways.

I have flown into Norman once. If I remember correctly, they have a restaurant too but for some reason don't take credit cards, so bring cash.

Never flew into Will Rogers.

You all mean I should consider where the owner wants to go rather than what is the best airport for the pilots??? Hmm, there's a concept I'm going to have to think about further.

I flew into Wiley Post last year and it was fine. Tristan and Ross met me and we ate ice cream and Tristan and I walked through the museum next door. They've got the Miss America P-51 racer in there and an A4(?) single engine bomber that is really huge.

Lance, I'm based at OKC. My airplane lives at PWA. Beyond that I know nothing about either place. Oh yeah, I live here too.

John

I'm flying to Oklahoma City tomorrow afternoon. Anyone with experience there? Will Rodgers (KOKC) vs. Wiley Post (KPWA) airports?

John doesn't get out much...

John, you're airplane is at Wiley post now? Why the move?

Lance, I'm based at OKC. My airplane lives at PWA. Beyond that I know nothing about either place. Oh yeah, I live here too.

John

Hey John. So, what's the scoop on the best steaks?
Looks like it will be very COLD tomorrow and Thurdsay :eek:.

There's no shortage on great steak places here in the metro area but if you want the Grandaddy of 'em all you go to Cattleman's. It's downtown in the stockyards district. Great food although it's pricey. I don't think anyone has ever left there hungry.

Atlantic is the FBO at PWA and it's AAR at OKC. If you're looking for hangar space PWA may be a better bet for you but if you need an ILS on every runway end but 13/31 then you want OKC. I'm not sure if 35L/17R is still closed but it may be. As always...check NOTAMS.

Mari is right, I'm frequently directionally challenged but I seem to have gotten better having lived here for three years plus. I can still get as lost as anyone who isn't from here.

You'll get great service from ATC regardless of when you go here. Hope you have a great time here in OKC.

John

John: I've been meaning to catch up with you. Our 58P is in the shop; thought I might hop up there but it's not in the cards this weekend and next weekend I have family in. Let's connect sometime soon, or let me know when you're down this-a-way.

Dave

Lance: Sorry I can't hop up and meet you. As you can see from the previous post, our Baron is in the shop.

Best,

Dave

Sure thing Dave. I'm looking forward to that. I've got my travel on pretty much through Jan 4. After the holidays perhaps?

John

FYI, the streak of red dirt you'll see when you fly into OKC (and some of which will probably end up on the carpet of your Lear) is the same one you see in N Georgia, and that seems to be the brightest around Dalton. It extends westward to the Rockies, IIRC. Johnnies is the famous burger joint in OKC.

I will vouch for the Cattleman's steak house, best steak I've ever eaten!!!

You can go to Bricktown in downtown OKC. Lots of places to eat there. Unfortunately there are no sporting events scheduled at the Ford Center this week. If you are going to be there for a few days places to see are the Cowboy Hall of Fame, the Murrah Memorial and the Dale Chihuley glass exhibit in the OKC Museum.

Sadly, the Barbed Wire Museum and the Cowpie Monument are both closed for the season. Winter is the reason. :D

About five years ago, when I was still in the construction industry, I spent 3 months there working on the movie theater in Bricktown, I really enjoyed that area. Went to Cattleman's a couple of times, great steaks.

Enjoyed certainly isn't the proper word, but I think the Bombing memorial/museum is worth the time.

There's no shortage on great steak places here in the metro area but if you want the Grandaddy of 'em all you go to Cattleman's. It's downtown in the stockyards district. Great food although it's pricey. I don't think anyone has ever left there hungry.

+1 on that, I always made sure to go there when visiting Oklahoma.

It's usually $1.50 to $2.00 cheaper on jet fuel at OKC vs PWA. Dunno about avgas but I am sure it's the same way or pretty close. We have an office there so we pick up people in both airports quite frequently. Good luck.

I'll add my vote for the bricktown area. Some very good restaurants down there. The bricktown brewery has a good menu but I don't recall the steaks specifically...had too many beers to remember anything specifically.

;)

Great suggestions. Thanks. But 17dF forecast for Thursday morning. Yikes. We should get in about 4 tomorrow and probably won't leave until 4 Thursday, so we'll have a chance to look around.

For many years the national finals rodeo was held this week in OKC, but the PRCA got more $ from Vegas and left town. My season tickets were a victim of the move.

PS: Round 6 of 10 is tonight, and just to prove how far the Dallas paper has fallen, they aren't carrying the results. Sorry bastards, anyway.

You can go to Bricktown in downtown OKC. Lots of places to eat there. Unfortunately there are no sporting events scheduled at the Ford Center this week. If you are going to be there for a few days places to see are the Cowboy Hall of Fame, the Murrah Memorial and the Dale Chihuley glass exhibit in the OKC Museum.

I second Cattleman's! From Will Rogers, it's about a 20 minute drive, though.

I think that's where I ate too. Good steak...not the best I ever had...that's still a split between Cork's in Naples, FL, and Smith and Wollensky in Vegas.

Just got back from dinner at the Cattleman's Steakhouse. Popular place even on a cold Wednesday night. My meal was very good. Had an "interesting" flight here. We took off at max gross and climbed to FL430 in 30 min. Ya just gotta love Lears.

Just got back from dinner at the Cattleman's Steakhouse. Popular place even on a cold Wednesday night. My meal was very good. Had an "interesting" flight here. We took off at max gross and climbed to FL430 in 30 min. Ya just gotta love Lears.
See, now you've been there :)

When we drop off the kids to see the grandparents we fly into Wiley Post and use the tower parking. If we stay overnight or need fuel we use Atlantic, I keep wanting to call it Trajen. My father flew a Saberliner out of Wiley Post in the early 70s. As a kid we lived off of the NE side of the airport where you couldn't miss all of the early jets like the new Jet Commanders taking off. There were a lot of cool airplanes there like a Howard 500, On-mark converted A26, and even the #2 Custer Channel Wing hanging around then.

One of my don't miss meals is Ann's Chicken fry on NW 39th

The PBR finals were among the best I've seen this year. NFR is also very good, but I have to admit that as a bull rider (not a very good one) in my young and reckless years, I'm partial to the PBR.

I second Cattleman's! From Will Rogers, it's about a 20 minute drive, though.

Cattleman's is well worth the drive from any OKC area airport in my humble opinion

Bricktown has many neat attractions, not the least of which is Bass Pro Shops!

:D

Bricktown has many neat attractions, not the least of which is Bass Pro Shops!

:D
Heck, if that's what floats your boat:) we have a Bass Pro Shop just a short courtesy car ride from Bolingbrook's Clow International. And just a quarter of a mile from that is an Ikea. :D

Mari is right, I'm frequently directionally challenged but I seem to have gotten better having lived here for three years plus. I can still get as lost as anyone who isn't from here.

John

John can you give directions to the Whitehouse sub shop?

Uhhhh....sure. Leaving OKC go East for about 1400 nm and turn North at the really big pond. Look for large concentrations of neon. Land at the nearest airport. Call cab. Repeat as necessary. :smile:

Back