Okay... I gotta ask?

The FAA identifier is DEN but the name is Denver International Airport and is referred to in the media and everywhere else as DIA. Historically, even the late night shows used DIA, as in DIA is DOA when talking about the failed automated luggage system. That's why.
Oh, I know what DIA stands for. My point was that DEN works just fine and is all that is necessary. No one to my knowledge calls Los Angeles International LAI. They call it LAX which is the FAA ID. No one calls O’Hare International Airport OHI or OIA or anything else. It’s ORD. And yes I know where ORD came from. I just find it odd that a few airports are known by some people by a different abbreviation than the FAA one.

I had wondered about either adding something to the forum or maybe creating a browser extension that would let you mouse-over an identifier and it would pop up the airport's city... preferably with a link to google maps.

Can't mouse over on my tablet (neither Samsung nor Apple). Since fingering over won't do anything, that just leaves a finger . . . . . :eek:

I always thought DIA was Stapleton. Google just proved me wrong :(

I always thought DIA was Stapleton. Google just proved me wrong :(

Nope. Stapleton is gone. But my office sits where the north end of 35R used to be. We’re literally right in the middle of the runway.

Tower is still there. Someone (finally) turned it into a bar, which seems relatively appropriate. It’s mostly been a cell and internet service tower for a long time.

The new bar owners say they can’t find a way around ADA to allow the old tower cab to be open to the public. The bar is down in the boring office building bits attached to the base of any control tower. Yawn.

What's with some of the people here using airport identifiers (i.e.; I flew from KGEU to KLAS) when telling us of their flying exploits?

Why not just say I flew from Glendale up to Vegas today, or from Denver down Albuquerque, rather than getting all fancy with the various identifiers, which many here I'm sure have to Google just to see where the hell you actually flew? :dunno:

touristsofamerica...nope
travelersofamerica...nope
pilotsofamerica...Ah Ha!!

Oh, I know what DIA stands for. My point was that DEN works just fine and is all that is necessary. No one to my knowledge calls Los Angeles International LAI. They call it LAX which is the FAA ID. No one calls O’Hare International Airport OHI or OIA or anything else. It’s ORD. And yes I know where ORD came from. I just find it odd that a few airports are known by some people by a different abbreviation than the FAA one.
Even more wierd....Lake County airport is KLXV. Anytime you hear someone call "Lake County traffic" you know 1) they've never been there before and 2) they aren't from anywhere within 200 nm.

It's better known as Leadville.

Even more wierd....Lake County airport is KLXV. Anytime you hear someone call "Lake County traffic" you know 1) they've never been there before and 2) they aren't from anywhere within 200 nm.

It's better known as Leadville.
Garfield County Airport in Rifle is KRIL. Logically people would call it "Rifle" but I've heard half and half. In fact I never knew quite what to call it either, even though I had been there many times.

So if someone wrote they flew to Vegas, do they mean North Las Vegas Airport or Las Vegas McCarran International Airport or Henderson Executive Airport? Writing VGT or LAS or HND is much clearer and easier. Besides most of us know quite a few identifiers and if we want to know a strange one that we see on here, it isn't very difficult to look it up.

What is not so clear is when people refer to DEN as DIA or to MCI as KCI. Not sure why they do that.

Vegas New Mexico!

I am in the bunch who is mildly annoyed by the use of airport identifiers. I don't really care which airport you landed at, more interested in your general direction of flight.

I am in the bunch who is mildly annoyed by the use of airport identifiers. I don't really care which airport you landed at, more interested in your general direction of flight.

I flew 14A-HKY-SVH-14A last Friday.

:p

I have been to PAIN, and EEK and Egegik Intergalactic Spaceport and liquor store.

egegikliquor1.jpg

What is not so clear is when people refer to DEN as DIA or to MCI as KCI. Not sure why they do that.
Because that’s the way it used to be. When you “grow up” doing it one way, it is difficult, if not impossible to do it a new way especially if you were doing it the old way for a long time. It’s the law of primacy.

Why have airports even have identifiers? So much easier for airlines to lose dogs if they can say it went to one of many towns named the same. :)
LMAO. Not just dogs. When I was flying for USAir Express, we landed at Lafayette, IN. A passenger asked where we were. When we told her, she said she wanted to go to Lafayette, Louisiana. Oops.

LMAO. Not just dogs. When I was flying for USAir Express, we landed at Lafayette, IN. A passenger asked where we were. When we told her, she said she wanted to go to Lafayette, Louisiana. Oops.

I had one once when we were headed to Pensacola. FO makes the 10K PA and a passenger realizes he is on the wrong flight, as he was going to Roanoke. Actually was irate about it. So, he spent the night in PNS, flew back to ATL with us the next day, and then our next flight to Roanoke finally. Fun times.

Ahhh.... LAF.... obviously short for Lafayette and frequently listed as Lafayette but it is in West Lafayette and is actually called Purdue University Airport.

If it's an unfamiliar identifier I just pop into Foreflight and see what it shows me.. kind of a cool way to learn about new airports and where the PoA'ers fly out of

Since many cities can have more than one airport I don't mind it

I had one once when we were headed to Pensacola. FO makes the 10K PA and a passenger realizes he is on the wrong flight, as he was going to Roanoke. Actually was irate about it. So, he spent the night in PNS, flew back to ATL with us the next day, and then our next flight to Roanoke finally. Fun times.

Years back I was jump seating on Continental Express, going from Houston to College Station. At the time, there was not a jet way, instead they load the passengers on a bus and drive the passengers to the plane parked on the ramp.

We got off the bus and onto the plane. The flight attendant closed and secured the door, then started her safety briefing. As she finished she said sit back, relax and enjoy the flight to Lake Charles. Lake Charles...?!?!? How did I get on the wrong plane..???

Then another passenger spoke up and said he was going to College Station. The flight attendant said something like, oh, we need to get you on the other plane. A few others spoke up that they wanted to go to College Station as well, so the FA asked if anyone else was going to College Station and everyone raised their hand.

I felt a lot better knowing that the bus driver went to the wrong plane and not me.....

Back