Okay Ford Truck fans: Name this noise

Well said...I'm a Ford guy, but I stoped liking most new cars in 1980, everything I own (American) is pre-80. We never really recovered from the 80's...best music, worst cars.
Ford 7.3 Diesel was great- every other Ford diesel is a pos. Chevy makes some good stuff and some crap, as well. Chrysler...for me, you have to go back to the 60's to find a good Chrysler anything. Rams only bragging rights are the Cummins, which....Chrysler doesn't build, of course. Good engines though, and I like the Allison trannies.

The 6.0 was definitely a piece...again not a Ford engine though. The new 6.7L is a great engine though.

Funny story...a friend of mine is a long time Chevy truck fanatic. He used to buy salvaged/wrecked Chevy diesels and rebuild them from the ground up.

Recently he went out and bought a new F-250, which was a real shocker to everyone.

You are correct, my mistake. I grabbed the wrong photo and couldn't tell on this verdamnt tiny screen. I feel silly as I hate exposed blowers and would never do that, but you'll have old eyes one day and will understand. :)
2jfysk9.jpg

I am an old school guy, I like the old muscle car period, and that is a nice looking mustang.

The problem with Ford's "innovation" is they don't back it when the design is faulty. And this design is well known to be faulty.

They essentially use customers as beta testers. Which, frankly is what my own industry does, so it's seen as "normal" these days -- but it's not technically right.

Complain about Chevy all you like (and I do, too) but that "truck hasn't been updated in forever" issue also means you know exactly what you're getting.

The class action on the spark plug debacle was enormous on this engine and I'm amazed the cam phaser thing never turned into one. How in the hell do you screw up a spark plug and metallurgy in a business you've been in for over 100 years, making internal combustion engines?

Not that class actions really help anyone, they just pay the lawyers.

That said, everyone knew by the time we bought this truck (including us) that the only engine worth a damn in the 2008 range of years was the 5.0. So we knew this was coming.

I'm not worried about it. Pay the "stupid tax" of buying another "Ford innovation" where the customer pays for the design mistakes eventually, and move on.

The truck is sound and these two repairs are likely to keep it going for lots more miles. Next up is the transmission in all likelihood and there's no signs of that problem yet. Slam another 50,000/75,000 miles on it and when it starts to misbehave again turn it into a plow truck.

Ha. A Lincoln bling plow truck for the driveway will be cute. :)

50,000 miles for her is only 1.7 years. All county roads at 50 and highway miles. Nothing hard on the truck at all. Transmission will easily do that, even a Ford transmission. She never tows or carries loads with it.

30,000 miles left in it would be .10/mile. Not great but not awful. 75,000 more would make that .04/mile for these two repairs. It'll likely need something major again in about 50K at the soonest.

So the numbers work to repair it. If it makes it to 200,000 it's trash at that point. Or plow truck.

If she didn't like the thing, it'd be an immediate as-is sale and move on to the next truck for her. She likes it, and has kept it immaculate inside, so she said (after I showed her the numbers) that she's keeping it for the long haul. Her call. It's fine numbers-wise either way.

We both loathe debt and don't want to pull from savings (or work 80 hour weeks) to buy another (unknown condition) used or new truck right now.

Will reassess in two years as long as it behaves until then. And frankly if it craps out inside of two years and 50,000 we can afford to park it dead and deal with it on our own terms or work on it ourselves then. Just not while 3-4 funerals are going on.
Ford doesn't back their innovation...? You mean, like when our tax money bailed out the others for BILLIONS of dollars while Ford took...nothing? I think you are blinded from seeing the trees by the forest being in your way. GM and Chrysler took BILLIONS of our tax dollars due to financial mismanagement, while Ford took ZERO dollars in bailout money from us.

They count on us "forgetting" the big stuff and being annoyed by the little things. Looks like it's working.

Ford doesn't back their innovation...? You mean, like when our tax money bailed out the others for BILLIONS of dollars while Ford took...nothing? I think you are blinded from seeing the trees by the forest being in your way. GM and Chrysler took BILLIONS of our tax dollars due to financial mismanagement, while Ford took ZERO dollars in bailout money from us.

They count on us "forgetting" the big stuff and being annoyed by the little things. Looks like it's working.

The bailouts have nothing to do with innovation and how it's supported. The clearest example of that is that GM hasn't changed the engineering on their trucks since a decade before the bailouts.

I'm no fan of the bailouts and won't be buying Government Motors products probably ever again, but how Ford handles their attempts at new things and leaving their customers with the bag when they fail, is a much longer term behavior than the downturn and bailouts.

The cam phaser junk has been going on for a decade. The spark plug thing on the 5.4 similar length of time. It's not like knowing how to engineer a spark plug hole should be difficult after you've been doing it for over 100 years. The first EcoBoost setups were also quite problematic.

Never buy anything that is brand new tech from
Ford. They use customers as beta testers.

If they'd pay to fix the messes, I'd hold them in the highest esteem in the truck biz.

But I guess if you're saying they finance their engineering screw ups on customer's backs directly instead of financing management errors on taxpayers, then you have a point.

Back