OK, which one of you did this?!?

It was me. Tired of all of the bald jokes. I'm going to wear it all the time.
ruvbkl7ov3o41.jpg

I thought about it, but she had a puny head, didn't fit me.

Thanks for that info. I did a search and only saw the $80K prediction, I didn't see the actual final sale price. One would have to be a real fanatic to pay that much money for it. Strange story though about how it was rediscovered.

One would have to be a real fanatic to pay that much money for it.

Museums with wealthy benefactors would buy this. There are often multiple museum curators at these auctions.

So, they found Amelia's flight cap but not Amelia.??

Its not the cap she was wearing on her final voyage. Its reported to be a cap she wore at the Women's National Derby in 1929.

Museums with wealthy benefactors would buy this. There are often multiple museum curators at these auctions.
While a museum might want it if it was truly authentic, I doubt if they’d pay that much for it. It simply isn’t that historically significant of an item.

Its not the cap she was wearing on her final voyage. Its reported to be a cap she wore at the Women's National Derby in 1929.

And she finished third in that race.

Wouldn't the cap of race winner Louise Thaden be worth more than that of a third place finisher? Yet we don't hear nearly as much about Louise, or any of the other great women aviators. Amelia gets all the press. I'm convinced that Amelia's real talent lay not in aviation, but in promotion.

Wouldn't the cap of race winner Louise Thaden be worth more than that of a third place finisher? Yet we don't hear nearly as much about Louise, or any of the other great women aviators. Amelia gets all the press. I'm convinced that Amelia's real talent lay not in aviation, but in promotion.

Not to be crude, but she’s no longer alive. Kinda wrong to blame her on the cap. In any case that self-promotion thing lives on in this day and age.

At least she never bailed out of a perfectly good airplane to score dollars … unlike some of our new age people.

Amelia was married to George Putnam, the publisher, who managed the promoting of Amelia.

While a museum might want it if it was truly authentic, I doubt if they’d pay that much for it. It simply isn’t that historically significant of an item.
You can't underestimate the irrational things billionaire donors may buy. They don't think the same way we do.

You can't underestimate the irrational things billionaire donors may buy. They don't think the same way we do.
You are right about that. I have often marveled at the ingenious and brilliant ideas that some billionaires came up with to get rich only to be stupefied by how they spend their billions.

Back