OK, what was the first plane where you sat in the pilot's seat?

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
Here's mine. 1960. F-102.

No, I didn't log it. :D

Attachments

• 432   Ghery   Travis AFB   Armed Forces Day   May 1960.JPG
    432 Ghery Travis AFB Armed Forces Day May 1960.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 91
1959 PA24-250, N6540P. I was 8-ish.

1960's a DC-8 but of course it was on the ground. The first plane I got to sit in the right seat and fly was in 1977 and it was Taylorcraft

I don't know what it was, except it was an open cockpit aerobatic biplane. I flew it for about 1/2 hour. Not logged.

Summer of 1979, girlfriends father had a Piper Cherokee Six, we flew from Cameron, MO to West Planes, MO. I got to fly for a short time and was hooked after that. She dumped me at the end of the summer, I sure miss her dad and is airplane.:D

Actually flying, a C-150 (N1909A). Just sitting in it, probably a Mooney. Either that or it was a Huey that the National Guard had sitting next to it. This was during an open house at College Park Airport (CGS) in Maryland.

The first plane I sat right seat and got to poke around at for a little was a Piper Archer II. I was going up with a friend who was very convinced of his own abilities, and thought he'd make a good CFI so he tried to do some teaching. Hopefully his ego got shot when he realized that his instruction wasn't doing any good.

Later when Missa took me up for a flight in the same plane, she did a much better job. Of course, but that point I also had a better idea of what was going on.

The first plane I sat left seat in and got to pilot (for my first flying lessons, solo, etc.) was a Cessna 172.

when i was 7 or so i flew my uncles cherokee 140 from the right seat. i wasnt really tall enough to see outside so he just told me to keep the attitude indicator level. i flew a long ways towards sioux falls, and then approach started giving him vectors. when he tried to turn i fought him to keep the AI level. he eventually won.

first flying in the pilots seat was 10 or so years later in a 152, N4468Q, on my first lesson.

First sat in? Can't remember. First right seat in flight, Uncle's C-172D. First left seat in flight, E-3.

No clue. I'd have to look at my dad's logbook or find the picture my parents have of me being held at the controls at age zero plus a double digit number of days. All I know is that by the time I was old enough for lessons, hood work was a blow off because I had a lot of hours not being able to see over the panel. Probably should have gone for my -IR first, PP second.

I've got a great picture of me, I couldn't have been more than 5, sitting in the cockpit of some fighter on a military base. I don't even know the story behind that one, but I think it counts as the first.

No, I didn't log it.

My Dads relient, I grew up in it. played in it all the time.

A Boeing 727......heck ya I logged it! (insert ;))

A Grumman Avenger that had been converted to firefighting use sitting untended at Macon, Georgia's Herbert Smart Airport. I musta been 10 or 12 at the time. (1966-1967 ish) I'm not even sure how we got in there, but Bob Day, the guy that ran the flying service there was trying to teach the mayor, (Machine Gun Ronnie Thompson) how to fly, came over and pointed all the neat stusff out to me and the mayor's kid. We figured he'd be all mad and stuff. Nah, he answered all our questions and said "have fun you can't hurt her so bad I can't fix her." I watched that old guy take off from the ramp in a taildragger ag plane of some sort and return half an hour later with LOTS of foliage streamong from the gear. He wore a football helmet with the single bar faceguard sawed off at the sides. A real aviator! :rofl:

N3979K July 25, 2002
Logged, and I did the landing. In fact, I've never had an instructor ever demonstrate a landing for me.

First time in a front (or any other) seat of an aircraft was on February 12, 1963, in a 1962 Cessna 182E, N9304X, at Fullerton, California. First loggable flying lesson was on November 24, 1963 (yes, the day Lee Harvey Oswald was shot), in Cessna 150A, N7208X, also at Fullerton.

19630212.jpg

Last edited:
C-185 on floats, about 4, I was even left in that seat when my uncle took me flying....Hmmmm, should update the logbook...

First time in a front (or any other) seat of an aircraft was on February 12, 1963, in a 1962 Cessna 182E, N9304X, at Fullerton, California. First loggable flying lesson was on November 24, 1963 (yes, the day Lee Harvey Oswald was shot), in Cessna 150A, N7208X, also at Fullerton.

19630212.jpg

Still establishing that alibi huh Jeff? ;););)

First right seat in flight: A C15(0/2)? N48836. My next right seat in flight was a King Air B200 about 15 years later.

First left seat: I'm pretty sure it was my intro flight, in a C172XP N736AR.

I think my first time in the left seat of an airplane was my first flight lesson in a C-150 about 30 years ago.

-lance

My first flight was from the right seat in a PA28-161 at our Special Needs Fly-in @ KCXY.
First flight from left seat was in Grumman AA5A Travler 11/07/1998 also first lesson.since then i've flown AA5A,AA5B, 150 aerobat,172,PA28-140, PA28-161(mine) and Ed G's M20J 201 Mooney, Greg C-195,and Chip's Extra 300. Logged time in all but the first flight.
Hows that for diversity in aircraft? BTW hated Cessna's except greg's i love round motors only had 1 flight in each
Dave G.:blueplane:

First left seat would have been Hap's 172, 99930 when I went to take my first lesson in '03. First right seat would have been many many many years before that, probably on one of our bi-annual flights from ICT to MSY (via MEM, usually). First right seat in a small airplane...well, there's a picture of it in my high school senior year book; it was my uncle's Cessna...something, back when I was probably about five (of course I'm wearing my airplane pajamas in the picture, too).

I first sat in a flew a C-182 out of First Flight (KFFA). I have high suspicion we were at or over gross, we had my, the pilot, my dad and grandpa as well as fuel for 1.5 hour flight. Not to mention it was in the summer.

A very nice C-150 at Merrymeeting Aviation, Bowdoinham, ME, N4065V. Later, I was about ready to solo in her but it was delayed because I would be taking delivery of N7872G within not too long after. But there's a warm spot lingering re "Cessna 4-0-6-5 Victor."

HR

Attachments

• Merrymeeting 010706.jpg
    Merrymeeting 010706.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 10
  • N7872G 032207 From #25 to 07.jpg
    N7872G 032207 From #25 to 07.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I first sat in a flew a C-182 out of First Flight (KFFA). I have high suspicion we were at or over gross, we had my, the pilot, my dad and grandpa as well as fuel for 1.5 hour flight. Not to mention it was in the summer.

Doubt you were over gross... The 182's a load hauler. Ours will take four people, bags, and 4 hours fuel. And I did exactly that on the way to the Fly-B-Q last spring. 900 pounds of people and bags and four hours' fuel.

What a great freakin' airplane. :yes:

First time in the pilot seat... 1997 in a Harrier ( AV8-B ) while transiting the Mediterranean sea! We were deployed on the USS Nassau and the maint. crew let me climb in and turned on the aux pwr to light up the inst and HUD. I always wonder what it would feel like to pull max G's in it before passing out! :)

Doubt you were over gross... The 182's a load hauler. Ours will take four people, bags, and 4 hours fuel. And I did exactly that on the way to the Fly-B-Q last spring. 900 pounds of people and bags and four hours' fuel.

What a great freakin' airplane. :yes:

Yea I agree. I'm planning to step up to a 182T very soon hopefully.

It was either the Howard DGA-18 that my Dad bought, or it was a Champ that I logged my first lesson in at the age of 13.

Attachments

• Howard DGA-18 001.JPG
    Howard DGA-18 001.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 16
Boeing 707 in 1968 was also the first plane I taxied. First plane I flew right seat was a Globe Swift. First plane left seat a C150.
Ron

Back