OK, I don't need to leave, but read this

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
It has been made clear to me that there really isn't a way to be anonymous on this webboard, so I accept that. I won't tolerate any anonymous attacks, but since there really aren't any here, I won't be violating my principles by staying.

Also, in reading some of your posts on this subject, specifically as it concerns me, I really need to make this clear. I did NOT overreact to one anonymous attack. I have said it before, but obviously it needs saying again: I have been followed across at least two boards, and in other areas. I repeat: this was not one isolated incident. You guys only saw the one attack. [EDIT: I am not saying we are talking about one person. Negative comments on other boards may well have been from other persons. The other boards now do not allow anonymous posting except with medical matters, I think.]

If this happens again, it obviously won't happen on this board or AOPA, because now ther person knows we know who they are.

BTW, I have no problem with constructive criticism, and even personal attacks--though I don't see why an attack is necessary.

Last edited:
PS: Is there a way to turn PMs on only for certain persons?

Ben, thanks for the updated information.

The management team will take this under consideration.

Chuck

Chuck,
Along the lines of what Ben is asking for. Maybe PM's should be a luxury given out to those that have been active here for a period of time.

Hmm.

AirBaker, what you propose is doable.

We will take it under consideration as well.

wangmyers said:
It has been made clear to me that there really isn't a way to be anonymous on this webboard, so I accept that. I won't tolerate any anonymous attacks, but since there really aren't any here, I'm not violating my principles.

Also, in reading some of your posts on this subject, specifically as it concerns me, I really need to make this clear. I did NOT overreact to one anonymous attack. I have said it before, but obviously it needs saying again: I have been followed across at least two boards, and in other areas. I repeat: this was not one isolated incident. You guys only saw the one attack.

If this happens again, it obviously won't happen on this board or AOPA, because now ther person knows we know who they are.

BTW, I have no problem with constructive criticism, and even personal attacks--though I don't see why an attack is necessary.
Ben, that is good news!

BTW: I thought you made it clear in your original post that it wasn't just the one attack, that it was a recurrent problem.

Anyway, glad to know you'll not be leaving.

Ben,
Glad to see you're sticking around and really sad to hear what's been going on behind the scenes. As you pointed out, it shouldn't happen again, at least here.
Greg

Or the right is earned after achieving a certain number of reputation points?

Dave Siciliano said:
Ben!! What happened to your Dallas visit. Spike and I were expectin ya.

Dave
Hey, Dave. Sorry about that! I am here in Dallas right now. I don't have a car. (I have borrowed my brother's truck only for today to visit my Dad in Mesquite.) Maybe if you have time tomorrow, we could meet if you live somewhere near Plano?

I'm right next to the south side of Plano. Spike wanted to meet you also. I sent you a PM with cell phone if you're still getting those.

Dave, please resend. I turned PMs on.

bstratt said:
Or the right is earned after achieving a certain number of reputation points?
Noooooo! I was going to stay out of this, but earning reputation points in order to get certain privileges seems way too much like girl scouts to me (boy scouts to others of you). And I flunked out of girl scouts. :dunno:

Everskyward said:
Noooooo! I was going to stay out of this, but earning reputation points in order to get certain privileges seems way too much like girl scouts to me (boy scouts to others of you). And I flunked out of girl scouts. :dunno:
I agree, that won't work.

Reputation points are given by users, sporatically.

It needs to be something more consistent. A specified time period, or number of posts, or something.

IF we choose to implement.

Then again - this might be building a golden gate bridge to cross a mud puddle, solution wise. AFAIK we've had 1 incident only.

There is an "ignore" feature, as I understand it, correct?

What about extending the "ignore" feature to things like rep comments and PM's in addition to just ignoring posts? Then if an individual is giving you crap, you can just ignore them on all fronts.

--Kath

Greebo said:
I agree, that won't work.

The only thing that will work it to make a choice to actively, determinedly ignore the idiots. They WILL likely continue!

Glad you figured on staying, Ben!

Richard said:
Ben, that is good news!

BTW: I thought you made it clear in your original post that it wasn't just the one attack, that it was a recurrent problem.

Anyway, glad to know you'll not be leaving.

Ditto on all that.

Dave Siciliano said:
I'm right next to the south side of Plano. Spike wanted to meet you also. I sent you a PM with cell phone if you're still getting those.

Off thread, but...I've got business in Plano at 1:30 Monday. Anybody around for lunch? I'm flying to KGKY Sunday.

I am against limiting or disabling PM's.

They serve a purpose, to send private messages and they have always been a great value to me since day one.

I think whomever was doing this, was purely getting a kick out of your reaction.

Last edited:
Ben I must have missed the genesis of whatever inspired your post, but IMSHO you need to expose the fine person for what they are. Many people hide behind the keyboard and spew, with no one ever knowing who they really are.

I fell like PNG here and there as well. Best if I not post because no matter what I say it seems to offend someone somehow. At least I have work to keep me on an even keel. Both these boards tilt so far over that the deck chairs are caught in the railing on the port side.

I hope your issue is resolved because you truly seem to be one of the good guys who don't deserve to be harassed, no matter who is doing it.

F.W. Birdman said:
Ben I must have missed the genesis of whatever inspired your post, but IMSHO you need to expose the fine person for what they are. Many people hide behind the keyboard and spew, with no one ever knowing who they really are.

I fell like PNG here and there as well. Best if I not post because no matter what I say it seems to offend someone somehow. At least I have work to keep me on an even keel. Both these boards tilt so far over that the deck chairs are caught in the railing on the port side.

I hope your issue is resolved because you truly seem to be one of the good guys who don't deserve to be harassed, no matter who is doing it.
Thanks. Yep, it has been fully resolved to my satisfaction.

Sorry Spike and Dave that I couldn't get together. It was at least nice talking with you, Spike, over the cell! Dave, I trust you got my message.

Just came across this,

Glad to hear that you are sticking around Ben!

Chuck,
I'm probably gonna catch it for this, but I honestly think that anyone who posts something untoward anonymously ought to be "outed": identified (along with what they said) and publicly dealt with. I cannot see any reason to continue to protect them once they've demonstrated a willingness to abuse the system!

etsisk said:
Chuck,
I'm probably gonna catch it for this, but I honestly think that anyone who posts something untoward anonymously ought to be "outed": identified (along with what they said) and publicly dealt with. I cannot see any reason to continue to protect them once they've demonstrated a willingness to abuse the system!
What you're advocating sounds pretty much like vigilante justice. And it wasn't until I read your post that it occurred to me that that is what Greebo is wanting to avoid.

Richard said:
What you're advocating sounds pretty much like vigilante justice. And it wasn't until I read your post that it occurred to me that that is what Greebo is wanting to avoid.
Hence the warning, suspension and ban systems in place.

We, as a council, go through a fair amount of discussion on each item behind the curtains. Sometimes it's an immediate "I agree" while other times it's a lengthy debate. Whatever the case, it's not unilateral nor is it any more rushed than it needs to be.

F.W. Birdman said:
Ben I must have missed the genesis of whatever inspired your post, but IMSHO you need to expose the fine person for what they are.
Because the identity of the reputation poster is shielded from the person about whom that poster is posting, Ben doesn't know who it was. However, PoA Management has taken appropriate action to prevent any repetition involving that poster.

I'm so glad you are staying, Ben. I also missed the public incident, but I've got to say I'm stunned you were a target at all. You're one of the nicest people here, IMHO.

Judy

Richard said:
Not at all!! What I'm talking about is basic social values and social pressures to maintain basic standards of behavior! This is what happens, day in and day out, in the real world - frequently people don't do some behavior or another because of the social costs of that behavior. But here on the internet, it's different - people hide behind anonymity and do and say things that they would NEVER have the courage or public indecency to do or say. In this case, for instance. And the poster STILL hasn't suffered any social costs for actions that have done injury (you know very well that Ben paid an emotional price for this poster's "fun").

I, for one, think that we should all be publicly responsible for what we do here. And I back that up with my name.

Ron Levy said:
Because the identity of the reputation poster is shielded from the person about whom that poster is posting, Ben doesn't know who it was. However, PoA Management has taken appropriate action to prevent any repetition involving that poster.

...and that offending individual will, henceforth, be a lot more careful when opening unmarked parcels...

Back